Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 08:28 AM

960 posts, read 2,037,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Thank you for an explanation that makes sense. Unfortunately, the posters on the other forum must lack the "somewhat reasonable interpretation skills" you mention, because many indicated they headed out for free food admitting they were not in need at all. And all cited that LCPS said, the food was for all students. It is a shame that people take advantage at this time.

So, I went back an looked at all the communications to make sure I wasn't off the wall. The first few make it clear it was for students in need. The middle ones (4-7) simply just say free meals/all students, etc, and then they bring it back around at the end to make clear students in need. So, if you didn't read the fist couple, and only looked at a single communication (such as number 4) it wouldn't be clear what the intention is. That said, per the previous post, I still don't see any way this is "encouraging" all students-- just saying its available to all students.

1st one:
Among numerous issues, we are considering different ways of supporting students who rely on our school meals program due to food insecurity.

2nd (sent by principal so perhaps not all schools received this)
Please see the message below from LCPS food services about continuing breakfast and lunch services for students who need it during the school closure:

3rd

Loudoun County School Nutrition Services (SNS) is supporting families by continuing to provide meal service in our school communities while schools are closed. SNS staff will serve free breakfast and lunch daily at all schools during the period of school closure.

4th:
As a reminder, school based meal service will be provided from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Meals will be available at each school and students will be allowed to receive two meals daily (a breakfast and a lunch) and can choose to take both meals simultaneously.

5th:
As we announced yesterday, Loudoun County School Nutrition Services (SNS) is expanding and extending free meal service in our school communities from March 16 to March 20 and March 23 to March 27 at schools and other designated locations. `

6th:
Loudoun County School Nutrition Services (SNS) has expanded the free meal service in our school communities, Monday through Friday, until at least April 10 at schools and other designated locations.

7th:

Loudoun County Public Schools (LCPS) has been providing meals to students since Friday, March 13. Thousands of meals have been served in just three days, and the program was expanded this week to include deliveries by bus.

8th

Loudoun County Public Schools continues to provide daily breakfast and lunch service to the students that rely on the schools for meals...We understand that in these difficult times, many people across the country and our county are in need of meal support

9th:

The community response to the feeding program for students that rely on Loudoun County Public Schools for meal support has been tremendous. LCPS is proud to be a part of this effort

10th:
LCPS continues to provide grab-and-go breakfasts and lunches for pickup at...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 06:30 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
This is an abuse of taxpayer resources. This is not fresh produce that is rotting on the shelves. If you can't feed your own litter while they are at home, you have no business having them in the first place.
I expect with that attitude that you’ll be sending your stimulus check right back to the government, right?

Old 03-28-2020, 08:18 PM

6,591 posts, read 8,479,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
(free to them, not to me - the taxpayer)
Are those families not also taxpayers?

Low income families also pay taxes.

Last edited by HokieFan; 03-28-2020 at 08:43 PM..

Old 03-31-2020, 12:21 PM

7,111 posts, read 2,808,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I expect with that attitude that you’ll be sending your stimulus check right back to the government, right?
We don't qualify for one.

Old 03-31-2020, 06:24 PM

596 posts, read 732,503 times
Quote:
We don't qualify for one.
Neither do I. Yet somehow I still managed not to begrudge feeding children from low income homes food that they would have been eating anyway if school was open. Nor did I find it necessary to refer to the children of fellow human beings as a "litter." I didn't become devoid of humanity simply because my income crossed a certain threshold.

Old 04-01-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbsnm View Post
Neither do I. Yet somehow I still managed not to begrudge feeding children from low income homes food that they would have been eating anyway if school was open. Nor did I find it necessary to refer to the children of fellow human beings as a "litter." I didn't become devoid of humanity simply because my income crossed a certain threshold.
Burning through food that is already on hand is fine. Making additional purchases for food when the money should be diverted to other deficiencies and neglected maintenance is another. The schools are always crying for more money for school supplies. Now is their chance to get caught up.

Old 04-02-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Burning through food that is already on hand is fine. Making additional purchases for food when the money should be diverted to other deficiencies and neglected maintenance is another. The schools are always crying for more money for school supplies. Now is their chance to get caught up.

Yes. Let's prioritize erasers and white board markers over feeding kids who might otherwise struggle to afford the meal that they were supposed to be getting free/reduced through the school system.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Yes. Let's prioritize erasers and white board markers over feeding kids who might otherwise struggle to afford the meal that they were supposed to be getting free/reduced through the school system.
They were getting fed at school because their parents were too lazy to get out of bed and pour milk into a bowl of cereal and put a sandwich into a paper bag.

Old 04-03-2020, 11:12 AM

Quote:
They were getting fed at school because their parents were too lazy to get out of bed and pour milk into a bowl of cereal and put a sandwich into a paper bag.

Loudoun County has almost 15,000 students eligible for free or reduced price meals. Those students are homeless, fostered, or meet the federally defined income requirements for reduced/free meals. I'm beginning to guess you enjoy being a troll instead of just completely blind to the fact that there are people in this area that have less means than others -- so I'll drop out of this thread now....

Old 04-07-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
Loudoun County has almost 15,000 students eligible for free or reduced price meals. Those students are homeless, fostered, or meet the federally defined income requirements for reduced/free meals. I'm beginning to guess you enjoy being a troll instead of just completely blind to the fact that there are people in this area that have less means than others -- so I'll drop out of this thread now....
If you have "less means", you have no business reproducing at MY expense. Getting fed at school while under "stay at home" orders is the equivalent of "eating out". There is absolutely no reason to provide meals to children while they are at home in the care of their parents. I bet they have a cell phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia