Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:03 PM

32 posts, read 121,215 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am flying in to DC/NOVA in a few days (staying in Georgetown for DC interviews) and would like to learn any tips on navigating the Metro systems (i.e., bus, sub, etc.) I am hoping to take these into NOVA around the Arlington/Alexandria+ areas in search of apartments. Ideally, I'd like to map out some apartment communities and use the transportation available to scan the cities in my search. Any advice on how best to utilize my time to do so? (I've never used these before) Am I crazy to think I could map out a plan that would take me ALL over, knowing I'd have to switch lines and where, how, etc? I really don't know where to begin! Any help you could give besides laughter would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2008, 06:38 PM

15,152 posts, read 27,830,067 times
I take Metro to two jobs I do but I believe (not sure) you can get an all day pass? You could get off at King St. and take the Dash bus (it's only $1.00 if they don't accept the pass, sorry I don't know) - but the 8AT-Van Dorn goes out Duke St. and you could get off for instance at N. Jordan, the Foxchase apartments seem nice. We are home-owners so I just don't know. Get a copy of the Metro Map (available in the stations) - if you take any buses, get a transfer (I've never used them but I think they are good for 4 hrs.?)

Someone in Arlington could probably help you out w/places.

Sorry, not much help, but nobody else has answered yet so I thought I'd throw something out.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:49 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,335,279 times
The crime rate is bad in anything that says Prince Georges County MD, North East DC, South East DC, and South West DC. If you by chance want to chance and live in DC, stay in Georgetown Wisconsin Ave etc...

Old 04-24-2008, 06:58 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,187,658 times
I know that you can buy an all-day pass for the Metrorail (valid after 9:30am and maybe not during evening rush hour). I don't know if it is accepted on Metrobus or the Alexandria DASH/Arlington ART buses.

When you get into town, pick up the Apartment Showcase book. It will show you which properties are close to Metrorail/VRE stops. There's a fair chance you'll have to take a bus to get to the train for many apartment communities.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:11 PM

488 posts, read 1,748,024 times
Let see...

First of all - get a smart trip. Its a plastic card accepted on metro and all buses.
Load it with about 25-30$.

How much you pay depends on far you travel. Prices are posted on each station, by the big lighted map, cant miss it.

Metro Map:
Metro - Metrorail System Map (http://www.wmata.com/metrorail/systemmap.cfm - broken link)

Double outlined circles are transfer stations.
You want alexandria?
Take Blue or yellow, depending on areaof alexandria you want to visit.

Nice part of Alexandria - old town part, is KING STREET station.

If you want a place to eat, take yellow or blue to Crystal City.
It has many restaurants, and strip joint, next to the best kabob cafe in town =)
Pretty safe area too.

ARLINGTON
is served by orange line mostly.
Rosslyn, Courthouse, Clarendon. Virginia Sq, Ballston.

Last 4 - have apartments all around. Exit and take a look
Rosslyn has some too, but its more of a business area.

You want night life - go to Georgetown or Adams Morgan.
Georgetown is more upscale, on the water front type of place.
Lots of places to eat, bars, and some clubs.
+ shopping, if you are into that.

What else do you want to know?

Old 04-24-2008, 07:13 PM

I would start searching with Arlington.
More expensive than Alexandria, but a whole lot closer to downtown DC.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:21 PM

32 posts, read 121,215 times
Wow! You guys are amazing! Thank you so much! It is really helpful too, to know which areas to stay away from, which you can't tell on sites like Rent.com. It's great you can get a booklet of apartments that show which Metro stop is close by!

Question on the Metrorail - Metrobus: After you board, (assuming I have a general idea where I'm going) do they announce the upcoming stop? I've got to put on my big girl panties and do this myself, but I just don't know what to expect, like knowing where I need to get off. Will the map show each and every stop then, I presume?

Thanks again!

Old 04-24-2008, 07:23 PM

No to stop annoucements, but some busses have gps system that reads streets outloud, very few use it.

So, get a MAP of the bus run, before you get on. Sit closer to the bus driver, and ask him to tell you where to get off.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:24 PM

BTW, on those apartment books - dont assume the printed price is what they charge.
Always call to double check.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:26 PM

Also, outside of rush hour, metro trains could run 10-15 minutes apart, keep that in mind in case you are on schedule to get somewhere during workday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia