Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 12:16 PM

7 posts, read 5,586 times

Advertisements

We are a newlywed couple in our mid-30's looking to move to the greater DC (?) area as our jobs are both in Washington D.C. We both work from home due to the pandemic but in the future want to be able to commute to the office at least a few days per week. My job is downtown DC and my husband's new job is in Alexandria.

We both moved from Massachusetts to Orlando, Florida 2 years ago, and for a number of reasons, we feel it's not a good match for us long term. The less-than-awesome job market here is the top reason, and the oppressive heat is probably the second. We miss cooler temperatures, but we don't want to deal with temps in the single digits like we did in Boston.

Right now we own a 3 bedroom single family home with a nice yard, and would like to upgrade to a 4 bedroom house (or just bigger sq footage). Surprisingly, Florida homes tend to be on the small side and are almost all single story.

What neighborhoods in VA have spacious single family homes, with good schools, and not horribly far from basic stores/gyms/ other amenities? Are there trains that go from the burbs to DC? We could do a 1 hour commute max. Our budget is 260 - 320K range.

I've had my eye on Fredericksburg and Colonial Beach, but I have no idea if these areas would be a good fit. We have 1 cat and we are looking to have children eventually, which is why a family-friendly neighborhood is important to us. On the other hand, we don't want to live "in the boonies" where it would be a hassle to get into the city on the weekends and enjoy restaurants, museums, etc.

As for timeline, we would like to get the ball rolling ASAP as soon as life goes back to normal and restrictions are lifted. I have no idea how the real estate market is doing since the pandemic started.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2020, 06:19 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
As for your price range, that’s next to impossible to find within an hours commute of DC for a single family home.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-25-2020 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: moved thread

Old 04-29-2020, 07:19 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
You're not going to find a 4-bedroom, single family home for $320k within an hour commute of DC.

Look at housing inventory within a 25 mile radius of DC on Realtor.com or Redfin.com so that you can adjust your expectations. You'll need to make a decision on which one of these three things you're willing to sacrifice:

1.) Commute
2.) Budget
3.) House style/size/amenities/features, etc.

Old 04-29-2020, 12:18 PM

9,874 posts, read 14,112,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieFan View Post
You're not going to find a 4-bedroom, single family home for $320k within an hour commute of DC.

Look at housing inventory within a 25 mile radius of DC on Realtor.com or Redfin.com so that you can adjust your expectations. You'll need to make a decision on which one of these three things you're willing to sacrifice:

1.) Commute
2.) Budget
3.) House style/size/amenities/features, etc.
HokieFan is absolutely correct. Only the uber-wealthy get all three. The rest of us choose the most important 2 and sacrifice elsewhere.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:27 AM

1,529 posts, read 2,262,599 times
To put in perspective, miles don't mean much here in terms of commute time. Take your mileage and multiply between 2-3 times. Not only in time but cost as express lanes are very, very expensive and metro is not inexpensive especially if you have to park and ride. Take Fredericksburg and Colonial Beach off your list entirely. Depending on where in Alexandria your husbands job is, public transportation might not even be an option.

Old 05-06-2020, 03:21 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
Doubling the prices of Orlando, would get you a better estimate of costs in Nova for housing.

Old 05-06-2020, 06:02 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Why don't you rent in Alexandria or DC for a year or two? You can live in a fun area before children.

It is so expensive to buy and sell a house. You didn't like Florida and you may not like DC with its oppression summer humidity. Rent an apartment for a year or two, take your time to decide.

Old 05-06-2020, 07:05 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Why don't you rent in Alexandria or DC for a year or two? You can live in a fun area before children.

It is so expensive to buy and sell a house. You didn't like Florida and you may not like DC with its oppression summer humidity. Rent an apartment for a year or two, take your time to decide.
This. I hate to pile on OP, but forget the long commute. It will soon exhaust you both and force you to relocate again.

You must spend a week here and drive around the area to understand the general layout. You will need to rent, but that isn't a bad thing for a new arrival.

If you both are smart and have good incomes, you'll soon be on your way to a nicer home.

So many new high-rises along the Duke Street-Beltway corridor near Old Town Alexandria. There is so much to see and do there. Do a GOOGLE satellite look.

If you can tolerate the stress and traffic that makes this area so desirable, you'll do well and look back in 20-years thinking it was worth it. Just my opinion.

Best of luck!

Old 05-08-2020, 08:42 PM

7,319 posts, read 4,115,298 times
In theory Fredericksburg is an hour away and Colonial Beach is an hour and a half away. You could take Amtrak to/from Fredericksburg from Union Station DC - it would be expensive. Then Union Station to VA. is a commute within itself.

DC has Interstate 495 or better know as the Capital Beltway circling around the city. During rush hour, this road is slow as molasses - like driving down NYC's Fifth Avenue during Christmas rush hour or like Boston during the height of the Big Dig. Driving to/from DC is impossible.

Most people like in Alexandria VA, Bethesda MD or Chevy Chase MD. You could go further north in Maryland to Rockville, but not further because of traffic. Even then you take the Metro. You would need to find an area close to a stop. https://www.wmata.com/rider-guide/stations/

When I search for an apartment in DC, realtors were helpful. However, some realtors are licensed to VA and others for MD.

If you decide to rent before purchasing, I recommend NW section of DC. The south and southeast areas are not the best.

EDIT: I check Amtrak's schedule - Fredericksburg VA to DC on the Northeast Regional train is one hour and 20 to 30 minutes more.

Good luck!

Last edited by YorktownGal; 05-08-2020 at 08:56 PM..

Old 05-08-2020, 09:12 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,901,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TulumTraveler View Post
We are a newlywed couple in our mid-30's looking to move to the greater DC (?) area as our jobs are both in Washington D.C. We both work from home due to the pandemic but in the future want to be able to commute to the office at least a few days per week. My job is downtown DC and my husband's new job is in Alexandria.

We both moved from Massachusetts to Orlando, Florida 2 years ago, and for a number of reasons, we feel it's not a good match for us long term. The less-than-awesome job market here is the top reason, and the oppressive heat is probably the second. We miss cooler temperatures, but we don't want to deal with temps in the single digits like we did in Boston.

Right now we own a 3 bedroom single family home with a nice yard, and would like to upgrade to a 4 bedroom house (or just bigger sq footage). Surprisingly, Florida homes tend to be on the small side and are almost all single story.

What neighborhoods in VA have spacious single family homes, with good schools, and not horribly far from basic stores/gyms/ other amenities? Are there trains that go from the burbs to DC? We could do a 1 hour commute max. Our budget is 260 - 320K range.

I've had my eye on Fredericksburg and Colonial Beach, but I have no idea if these areas would be a good fit. We have 1 cat and we are looking to have children eventually, which is why a family-friendly neighborhood is important to us. On the other hand, we don't want to live "in the boonies" where it would be a hassle to get into the city on the weekends and enjoy restaurants, museums, etc.

As for timeline, we would like to get the ball rolling ASAP as soon as life goes back to normal and restrictions are lifted. I have no idea how the real estate market is doing since the pandemic started.

Thanks in advance.
I would seriously consider the Montclair community in Dumfries, VA. Very nice area with carpools and commuter bus service into DC. Not too expensive, lakes, country club, parks, tennis, pools, library, good schools, shopping, restaurants and golf in the neighborhood.

https://www.montclairva.com/community-news

https://www.novaelitehomes.com/searc...IaArZpEALw_wcB

Last edited by columbusboy8; 05-08-2020 at 09:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia