Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 08:30 AM

6,591 posts, read 8,479,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
Tbh I never understood why Walmart and Home Depot’s can have 300 people in them but a small mom and pop store has to close.
Stores like Walmart and Home Depot were permitted to remain open because they sell essential items.

If mom and pop stores sold essential items, they were also permitted to remain open. If they were non-essential retail, they were permitted to remain open with occupancy restrictions. Other than non-essential service providers (salons, as an example) what specific mom and pop stores were forced to close? If you'll give me some names, I'll see if I can buy gift cards to use later or order online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 09:14 AM

2,543 posts, read 3,752,646 times
Quote:
I hope this is ignored and we move forward. Enough is enough already. This letter makes it seem like everyone wants to be tested and hospitals are filling up when INOVA literally laid off 400 of their staff in late April. It even mentions contact tracing and that plan has barely been mentioned so far.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/h...oyees/2281400/

The entire state of VA should not have to suffer because of these clowns who are running NOVA.
It's not the entire state of VA, but only Northern Virginia, where 40% of the state's Covid19 cases happened.

Quote:
Northam said he knows that some areas, including Northern Virginia, may opt to keep tighter restrictions on businesses for longer. That is OK and the restrictions are “a floor, not a ceiling,” the governor said.

The data right now still concerns many of Northern Virginia’s elected leaders. Forty percent of the state’s COVID-19 cases are in the region. Alexandria’s mayor and others told the governor this week that a May 15 opening may be premature.

Northam said Northern Virginia’s counties and cities would have to act together if they do plan to hold off on Phase 1 for now.
Here's the full article from NBC:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...ening/2297303/

Old 05-11-2020, 10:57 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,645,911 times
Quote:
I hope this is ignored and we move forward. Enough is enough already. This letter makes it seem like everyone wants to be tested and hospitals are filling up when INOVA literally laid off 400 of their staff in late April. It even mentions contact tracing and that plan has barely been mentioned so far.

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/h...oyees/2281400/

The entire state of VA should not have to suffer because of these clowns who are running NOVA.
I agree. Enough is enough. We need to start trying to slowly and safely re-open not keep kicking the can down the road. Give people the option- If they want to go out and socially distance at an outdoor dining establishment then go for it. If you want to stay home, that is fine too. Georgia has almost 10k more cases than we do and they are at least trying to get into this new 'normal.'

Old 05-11-2020, 12:01 PM

15,182 posts, read 27,967,104 times
And... how many more cases is Georgia going to see in the coming weeks?

Old 05-11-2020, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
And... how many more cases is Georgia going to see in the coming weeks?
I don't know - do you? Could go up a lot and could not. I am not saying we need to be that extreme and open up the salons for walk-ins and restaurants to inside dining but this is getting ridiculous. Nobody is asking you to participate if you want to stay in but for others who would like to at least be able to go out and get a socially distanced bite to eat/ drink on the patio of one of our neighborhood restaurants (many of whom are struggling to survive) then we should be allowed.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:29 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,663,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
It's not the entire state of VA, but only Northern Virginia, where 40% of the state's Covid19 cases happened.

Here's the full article from NBC:

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/l...ening/2297303/
That's what I said...The entire state of VA should not have to suffer because of these clowns who are running NOVA.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I agree. Enough is enough. We need to start trying to slowly and safely re-open not keep kicking the can down the road. Give people the option- If they want to go out and socially distance at an outdoor dining establishment then go for it. If you want to stay home, that is fine too. Georgia has almost 10k more cases than we do and they are at least trying to get into this new 'normal.'
Yep. And on top of that, it's been proven that these tests are far from accurate. Many false negative and positives.

It's a shame that we're 2 months into this now and the data is still a mess. Yet, officials are basing people's livelihoods on this faulty data. Just last week, there were some COVID tests that were sent to Africa and one President tested a goat and a papaya fruit because he was curious and they both tested positive for COVID.

I personally am not impacted by this, but I feel bad for the people who own small mom and pop shops who had to close down because of all of this. Let them re-open and let people have freewill whether or not to go out or stay home. Otherwise, we're killing these people's businesses just because "numbers are rising" but they fail to mention that we're finally testing a lot more than we were.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:52 PM

Great. Their letter worked.

https://www.insidenova.com/news/spec...460dbd9ff.html

Old 05-11-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Great. Awesome. What is their solution? Other than saying 'well the numbers are still rising (because we're doing a lot more testing) so let's wait' How much longer are we supposed to stay locked down? It does nothing but encourage people to drive/ give business to places that aren't continuing the stay-at-home orders. Do they really think people in Loudoun won't drive out to Winchester or other parts of the Shenandoah Valley? Or people in Prince William won't go to Stafford or Fredericksburg? If DC wants to continue their stay-at-home that is fine...judging by license plates it doesn't seem to stop their residents from driving to the Clarendon Whole Foods or Pentagon City Costco so who cares if one or two of them would come to our dining establishments if we open earlier.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Great. Awesome. What is their solution? Other than saying 'well the numbers are still rising (because we're doing a lot more testing) so let's wait' How much longer are we supposed to stay locked down? It does nothing but encourage people to drive/ give business to places that aren't continuing the stay-at-home orders. Do they really think people in Loudoun won't drive out to Winchester or other parts of the Shenandoah Valley? Or people in Prince William won't go to Stafford or Fredericksburg? If DC wants to continue their stay-at-home that is fine...judging by license plates it doesn't seem to stop their residents from driving to the Clarendon Whole Foods or Pentagon City Costco so who cares if one or two of them would come to our dining establishments if we open earlier.
Can’t rep you enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia