Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 10:00 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,639,121 times

Advertisements

Northam just issued an Executive Order- we're still closed until May 28th. This is getting ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 10:19 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,660,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Northam just issued an Executive Order- we're still closed until May 28th. This is getting ridiculous.
And once we get to May 25th ish, they'll suddenly ramp up testing again and we'll have a big jump in cases and he'll say June 15th. Rinse repeat. Places like Arlington and Alexandria will continue to have large crowds out and about, while the other counties around there suffer. Yet, the same Karens will who live there will continue to write the local county leaders and complain that people are out.

I'm already just gonna plan a summer vacation out of this area and not even worry about anything local opening up anytime soon.

Old 05-12-2020, 02:49 PM

7,104 posts, read 2,790,770 times
Quote:
Who is going to pay everyone's bills? President Trump should tell these governors that it is THEIR decision to stay closed and they are responsible for the financial ruin of their states. Not one penny to any state that stays closed. Voters will "Remember in November!!"

Old 05-12-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Who is going to pay everyone's bills? President Trump should tell these governors that it is THEIR decision to stay closed and they are responsible for the financial ruin of their states. Not one penny to any state that stays closed. Voters will "Remember in November!!"
That and we also need to hold our County Executives responsible as well- they're the ones who compiled that letter basically begging him to keep us closed.

Old 05-12-2020, 03:40 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,364,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
Well, they consider gathering for worship fairly essential. It's actually been allowed to some degree either by driving up or limiting to 10 people, where restaurants weren't allowed at all.

Healthwise it doesn't make sense but I guess they assume that at 50% people can space themselves appropriately. You aren't necessarily being "served" by anyone. But, yeah, it's a lot of breathing in an enclosed building. Personally, I wouldn't do it. But I think the answer is that they are looking at worship as being somewhat essential.
Yeah. I guess God will grant added protection within the sanctuary of the church.

Perhaps the restaurants should change their definition of table "service" and we all make sure we pray before eating. Seems equitable.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:12 AM

15,471 posts, read 25,919,643 times
Quote:
The original order was to June 10th. This order is not about opening up. It is only delaying phase 1. Phase 1 is not opening up. The rest of Virginia is still on for May 15th, if I understood the news correctly.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The original order was to June 10th. This order is not about opening up. It is only delaying phase 1. Phase 1 is not opening up. The rest of Virginia is still on for May 15th, if I understood the news correctly.
The June 10th date was a suggested date to 'stay home' and to my knowledge relates to unnecessary travel which I don't think a lot of people are following to begin with considering they had issues with people going to parks and other recreational areas.

Phase I is a slow opening-up. It allows restaurants to have outdoor dining at XX capacity, salons/ barber shops open for appointments only, etc. The rest of the state will be doing that this Friday. We are now required to wait until May 28/29th (I've seen both dates). I can only imagine what it will be like this weekend with temperatures in the 80s. I imagine this will cause some issues similar to on Cinco de Mayo.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:30 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,660,448 times
Quote:
The June 10th date was a suggested date to 'stay home' and to my knowledge relates to unnecessary travel which I don't think a lot of people are following to begin with considering they had issues with people going to parks and other recreational areas.

Phase I is a slow opening-up. It allows restaurants to have outdoor dining at XX capacity, salons/ barber shops open for appointments only, etc. The rest of the state will be doing that this Friday. We are now required to wait until May 28/29th (I've seen both dates). I can only imagine what it will be like this weekend with temperatures in the 80s. I imagine this will cause some issues similar to on Cinco de Mayo.
Expect to see a lot of people walking around, people in parks, everyone ignoring social distancing. I almost can't wait to see the Karens complain about people being out and about.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:21 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,435,440 times
Quote:
I can only imagine what it will be like this weekend with temperatures in the 80s. I imagine this will cause some issues similar to on Cinco de Mayo.

People already used to commuting an hour each way every day aren't going to have any issues heading down I-95 to escape Northern VA to go do something. Yeah lots of stuff will still be closed, but people will drive 1-2 hours to go eat/shop or something if the weather is nice. Memorial Day weekend will be similar.

Still silly you can't go sit outside at a brewery in a sparsely populated area of PWC, but you can go to a packed Home Depot in Annandale with 200 of your "closest" friends (many of which are not wearing masks).

Old 05-13-2020, 11:55 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,295,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Still silly you can't go sit outside at a brewery in a sparsely populated area of PWC, but you can go to a packed Home Depot in Annandale with 200 of your "closest" friends (many of which are not wearing masks).
I think this is a false equivalency. I haven’t been to Home Depot or Lowe’s, so I don’t know the situation, but passing someone in a store isn’t the same as sitting for hours at a time in a group with family and non-family members. When I go to a winery or brewery, we are there for 2-4 hours with kids mingling with other kids and hanging out with friends often times sharing a picnic table with strangers. That doesn’t seem like a recipe for social distancing.

Again, can someone share the names of some stores or businesses that are closing permanently because of this? I know there are people willing to donate or purchase things to help them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia