Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 02:02 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,375,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
I think this is a false equivalency. I haven’t been to Home Depot or Lowe’s, so I don’t know the situation, but passing someone in a store isn’t the same as sitting for hours at a time in a group with family and non-family members. When I go to a winery or brewery, we are there for 2-4 hours with kids mingling with other kids and hanging out with friends often times sharing a picnic table with strangers. That doesn’t seem like a recipe for social distancing.

Again, can someone share the names of some stores or businesses that are closing permanently because of this? I know there are people willing to donate or purchase things to help them.
Or in a church with 50% of capacity?

If people can’t enjoy a winery without social distancing, they shouldn’t go. The onus falls on the patrons to distance themselves and children. If that’s not possible they don’t have to go.

My wife works very part time at a winery that is opening this weekend. The staff has a training today. The winery will be open for outdoor service by reservation. No groups larger than 6 and no children. Tables will be spread out through the patio, grassy areas and vineyard. Reservations reserve a table for a 2:45 minute block of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 04:06 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,297,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Or in a church with 50% of capacity?

If people can’t enjoy a winery without social distancing, they shouldn’t go. The onus falls on the patrons to distance themselves and children. If that’s not possible they don’t have to go.

My wife works very part time at a winery that is opening this weekend. The staff has a training today. The winery will be open for outdoor service by reservation. No groups larger than 6 and no children. Tables will be spread out through the patio, grassy areas and vineyard. Reservations reserve a table for a 2:45 minute block of time.
That set up makes sense to me. It looks like they’ve found a way to make it work like so many other small businesses.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
That set up makes sense to me. It looks like they’ve found a way to make it work like so many other small businesses.
A number of their employees go in from Fairfax and PW. The majority of their business is people who visit from Fairfax, Arlington, PW Counties and they are a little concerned they may have a surge of people this weekend that they will have to turn away.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:55 AM

15,475 posts, read 25,944,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
The June 10th date was a suggested date to 'stay home' and to my knowledge relates to unnecessary travel which I don't think a lot of people are following to begin with considering they had issues with people going to parks and other recreational areas.

Phase I is a slow opening-up. It allows restaurants to have outdoor dining at XX capacity, salons/ barber shops open for appointments only, etc. The rest of the state will be doing that this Friday. We are now required to wait until May 28/29th (I've seen both dates). I can only imagine what it will be like this weekend with temperatures in the 80s. I imagine this will cause some issues similar to on Cinco de Mayo.
The June 10th date was more than a suggestion: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/me...(COVID-19).pdf

Is that order replaced by the new one, or is the new one in addition to that one.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:06 AM

989 posts, read 459,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The June 10th date was more than a suggestion: https://www.governor.virginia.gov/me...(COVID-19).pdf

Is that order replaced by the new one, or is the new one in addition to that one.
I believe it's in addition. Basically it's "safer at home" up through the 10th, but in between we will gradually open up business. I think they'd still like you to keep a low profile.

Old 05-14-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
That and we also need to hold our County Executives responsible as well- they're the ones who compiled that letter basically begging him to keep us closed.
I’ve been wondering why so much weight was given to a letter that was presented by so few. I never heard of any board of supervisor discussions or vote. I only heard from board chairs and mayors. Well, apparently they didn’t speak for everyone. Some Loudoun County board members have reached out to the governor saying they should be allowed to enter Phase 1. I can see the same desire for areas of Fairfax and Prince William Counties.

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines...5a68aa145.html

On May 4 the governor presented a “one Commonwealth” message and said if some of VA was allowed to move into Phase 1 before others he would be “choosing winners and losers” and it would introduce divisiveness. He then did a 180 from that message and I wondered if this would happen. Something to watch.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I’ve been wondering why so much weight was given to a letter that was presented by so few. I never heard of any board of supervisor discussions or vote. I only heard from board chairs and mayors. Well, apparently they didn’t speak for everyone. Some Loudoun County board members have reached out to the governor saying they should be allowed to enter Phase 1. I can see the same desire for areas of Fairfax and Prince William Counties.

https://www.insidenova.com/headlines...5a68aa145.html

On May 4 the governor presented a “one Commonwealth” message and said if some of VA was allowed to move into Phase 1 before others he would be “choosing winners and losers” and it would introduce divisiveness. He then did a 180 from that message and I wondered if this would happen. Something to watch.
But the governor didn't choose or make that decision on his own. He was ready to open the whole state and then was asked to reconsider by some members of various counties. He took in their concerns and decided to do what they asked of him rather than disregard. If they hadn't sent their concerns in, despite the higher numbers in NoVA, he would have put all in Phase 1.

Old 05-14-2020, 03:03 PM

20,296 posts, read 9,198,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
I think that was going on really early in the first few weeks of the shutdown between Maryland and Delaware. I know that my cousin, who lives on the eastern shore near the Delaware line tried to go to a store in Delaware right after Maryland locked down and Delaware had police on the state line looking at plates. As far as I know, it never happened around here, but it's not fun if we don't exaggerate the situation, right?
May 14th 2020 Today's Cape Gazette

To enforce the out-of-state quarantine as Delaware beaches reopen, Delaware State Police will station troopers at routes typically used by out-of-state travelers. Travelers will be stopped, asked a series of questions, and given information about the 14-day quarantine requirement under Carney’s state-of-emergency declaration. Violations of the emergency declaration, or any of its modifications, constitute a criminal offense.

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...-may-22/202145

Old 05-14-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
May 14th 2020 Today's Cape Gazette

To enforce the out-of-state quarantine as Delaware beaches reopen, Delaware State Police will station troopers at routes typically used by out-of-state travelers. Travelers will be stopped, asked a series of questions, and given information about the 14-day quarantine requirement under Carney’s state-of-emergency declaration. Violations of the emergency declaration, or any of its modifications, constitute a criminal offense.

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...-may-22/202145
Maybe missed my point? All this discussion of "state line" issues was a non-issue here in Virginia as some were claiming. My point was that back when the lockdowns started, most of the publicity had to do with the Delaware/Maryland line. I was perplexed at the whining going on about it in Virginia.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyVW55 View Post
But the governor didn't choose or make that decision on his own. He was ready to open the whole state and then was asked to reconsider by some members of various counties. He took in their concerns and decided to do what they asked of him rather than disregard. If they hadn't sent their concerns in, despite the higher numbers in NoVA, he would have put all in Phase 1.
Yes. I completely understand this. My question is why were a few leaders' concerns given so much weight in the governor's decision making? If you read the article not all supervisors were in agreement. The mayor of Manassas says he wasn't even consulted. I'm wondering if our board chair even consulted with the rest of the board of supervisors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia