Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 03:31 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,421,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
“One cannot and must not try to erase the past merely because it does not fit the present.”

Golda Meir
Well stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 05:11 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,781,771 times
I would rather see them rename northern virginia. we can call it "government employee zone."

Old 06-13-2020, 07:19 PM

3,109 posts, read 3,000,041 times
How many videos have been published of ISIS committing cold blooded, torture murder? Like the guy set on fire in the cage? Should we bulldoze every mosque?

Old 06-13-2020, 10:10 PM

6,003 posts, read 2,936,987 times
Bet half the people wanting to change the name can't spell Lee.

Old 06-14-2020, 02:38 AM

235 posts, read 116,233 times
The Confederacy is everything America needs to put behind in our history. Nobody wants to erase them from our history. The Civil War and the terrible thing the Confederacy fought for will always be in our children’s textbooks. Though highways named after these generals and statues of them glorify them and send the wrong message. We are trying to be a society that teaches our children and acknowledges that the confederacy stood for something wrong and allowing them to have these statues and legacies are wrong.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:23 AM

4,483 posts, read 8,187,778 times
Why stop at the Confederacy? Founding fathers were slave owners and this country was built on their principles so lets "not erase" that too.

Maybe it's because I'm an immigrant to this country who was naturalized but I don't understand the concept of getting rid of statues or road names. They neither have held me back from pursuing the American dream or made me feel less American. If you're blaming a statue or street name for your troubles then you've got too much time on your hands. I've got more important things to worry about.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
Why stop at the Confederacy? Founding fathers were slave owners and this country was built on their principles so lets "not erase" that too.

Maybe it's because I'm an immigrant to this country who was naturalized but I don't understand the concept of getting rid of statues or road names. They neither have held me back from pursuing the American dream or made me feel less American. If you're blaming a statue or street name for your troubles then you've got too much time on your hands. I've got more important things to worry about.
A-men.

Old 06-14-2020, 05:48 AM

24,898 posts, read 11,330,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
A very good and accurate quote. But removing a statue or changing a road name, in no way, erases the past atrocities, it only attempts to stop glorifying someone who was part of the atrocities.
Does it make the current atrocities ....? What?

Old 06-14-2020, 06:35 AM

What self respecting Novan didn't want their kids to go to work for IBM. Providers of tabulators and punch cards to Hitler. And do I need to even mention Volkswagen or Dow Chemical?

Old 06-14-2020, 07:11 AM

235 posts, read 116,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post

Nobody is saying that. I’m a naturalized citizen who came from Ethiopia and worked two jobs made it into University then went to grad school then raised my kids in the suburbs in the USA. That’s a dream come true where I come from. And nobody is saying that these Confederacy symbols are the root of all our problems. But allowing them to have these statues and roads gives them honor, and glory. Which is not what they deserve. They deserve to go down in history as everything wrong in America. Not unless you believe in the Confedeacy cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia