Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2020, 05:43 PM

4 posts, read 2,294 times

Advertisements

Hello soon to be neighbors! Moving from Georgia to Virginia and like many, I'm overwhelmed at the legalese found on the motor vehicle website on how to be prepared for the dreaded visit to get my car registered. Every scenario and situation is different and I can't find any threads that explain my situation exactly and I'm confused by all the new car tax lingo. I know you smart people can help a ditzy blonde out. Here's my situation and hoping someone here can break this down to an easy to explain list so that I don't show up...just to be sent home again scrambling for the right documentation.

1. I currently Live in Georgia and have a Leased BMW- 2019 model. I've been in the lease for 14 months now. It's leased so obviously I don't have the title.
2. Relocating to Arlington Virginia and will show up at the DMV with my proof of insurance and new Virginia license (I figured that part out)
3. What do I bring besides the current car registration and proof of insurance?
4. Since my car is 2019 do I need to still have an emissions test done prior?
5. Will I have to pay sales tax on my car again?
6. Will I still have to pay annual property tax on the vehicle even though it is leased? Will I have to pay that during my first visit to register?
7. Will I need some kind of power of attorney from BMW or is bringing the current registration enough? I see all this talk about getting issued a title and not even sure what that means or if it relates to me with a leased vehicle.
8. Whats all this talk about parking stickers and toll booth passes. Whats next after I successfully register a vehicle?

I so appreciate your help and will happily buy you a 'drank' on the other side if I can come out of this without more grey hairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2020, 04:45 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Well. The DMV has been closed for a while now. I don’t know when it will open. When it does open: (their website says that you can make appointments now)

This link has the info you need: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#titling.asp

2. You should have a title or document that shows the ownership, and other documents showing what you paid for it. Get those papers in Georgia before moving. Leased cars is not my area of knowledge, but there should be some kind of title in Georgia that you will have to give to the Virginia DMV.

3. See #2

4. Emissions tests are required every two years, but I don’t know what they will require on a new car. The info is here: https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#emissions.asp my read of that makes me think you will need to get it done. You have to find a shop certified to do the test. You can often get a safety inspection at the same time. My dealer does it on my newer van.

5. No, if you prove it was paid in Georgia with the documents mentioned above.

6 Yes. You will have to pay the Personal Property Tax each year, though it is usually split in two payments, one in May and the other in November. You pay that to Arlington County not the DMV. See Arlington’s website for info.

7. fill out the title application in the above link and bring the documents it tells you to bring. You’ll have to check with Georgia about titles for leased vehicles to get the right document.

8. If you mean the Personal Property tax stickers, they are not required anymore, though you still have to pay it. Safety inspection stickers will be affixed to your windshield by the testing station you take it to.

EZPass for tolls is separate from the DMV. Go here: https://www.ezpassva.com/. You may need one if you need to use 395 or 66 toll lanes. Edit to add: it seems you can get the EZPass at some DMV locations. I got mine separately. You don’t have to get one if you don’t use toll lanes.

Last edited by dkf747; 06-16-2020 at 04:55 AM..

Old 06-16-2020, 06:09 AM

thanks for the reply. #2 still got me scratching my head. I don't own the vehicle so there is no title. All I have is a car registration that shows BMW as the lessor and I am the lessee

Old 06-16-2020, 06:11 AM

Also, this statement from that link you shared tells me I do NOT need to get an emissions testing:

Used vehicles of the current and three previous model years are exempt from emissions inspections for up to 4 years.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:58 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,424,853 times
Worth noting that you have to pay car tax on the entire value of the vehicle, not just the part of it you are leasing.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyhelpme View Post
Also, this statement from that link you shared tells me I do NOT need to get an emissions testing:

Used vehicles of the current and three previous model years are exempt from emissions inspections for up to 4 years.
It’s possible that I’m wrong. It happens.

Old 06-17-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyhelpme View Post
thanks for the reply. #2 still got me scratching my head. I don't own the vehicle so there is no title. All I have is a car registration that shows BMW as the lessor and I am the lessee
I believe Virginia issues a title that shows it is leased, as do other states. Again, though, I don’t know much about leasing. Ask Georgia what document is the equivalent of what Virginia wants and bring that.

Old 06-18-2020, 01:14 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
I remember waiting at the DMV once while a poor sap from (I believe) Georgia tried for get a Virginia title for his trailer. Georgia doesn’t have trailer titles. It was a circular bureaucratic hellscape. Definitely find this answe before moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: