Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 03:47 AM

68 posts, read 57,826 times

Advertisements

Greatschools.org is just one of many websites that rate schools using a variety of criteria. It rates schools on a one to ten scale, with five being average.

Now that I am in the final part of selling my home in Annandale Virginia we are looking for a new home in Northern VA and new schools for our three kids who are ages 7-16. Looking at the Greatschools.org and other school rating websites I was shocked how many below-average schools there are in Fairfax and Prince William Counties.

For example, if you take every school in Fairfax County and get a mean score for all of them, the average score is 4.2/10. In Prince William County the average score is 3.8/10. The mean scores for all our schools have gone down most years.

Yes, there are some great schools in Northern VA but not that many and fewer than they used to be. For example, in my community, Annandale VA, our High School has a rating of 3 out of 10. It used to be a good school but not anymore. If you want a great school in Northern VA you have to move to expensive Vienna, McLean or Great Falls. For an average school, you can move to Western Fairfax, West Springfield, or Chantilly.

I compared the ratings of our schools in comparison to other Metro areas I was offered a job. Raleigh NC and Minneapolis MN and the mean scores for their schools were much higher. In fact, many metro areas have much better schools on average than in Northern VA. Your thoughts?

https://www.greatschools.org/

Old 06-25-2020, 04:14 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selling home View Post
If you want a great school in Northern VA you have to move to expensive Vienna, McLean or Great Falls.

Or, you can go and talk to real people whose children attend schools and the administration to see if it is a good fit for your children; instead of just relying on some number from a single website.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:19 AM

68 posts, read 57,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Or, you can go and talk to real people whose children attend schools and the administration to see if it is a good fit for your children; instead of just relying on some number from a single website.
Statistics can be more valid than gut feelings about schools. Many people will say they think their hometown or school is great when it is not because of pride and ego. They really don't know how great another community or school is in comparison because they don't know it.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:35 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,484,998 times
Quote:
Statistics can be more valid than gut feelings about schools. Many people will say they think their hometown or school is great when it is not because of pride and ego. They really don't know how great another community or school is in comparison because they don't know it.
This seems like a weird campaign for someone trying to sell.

Old 06-25-2020, 04:36 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,116,397 times
Quote:

Or maybe that school was great because there was a great teacher that taught them to love math, or reading books or chemistry. A good education is about specific teacher-student connections and parent involvement; not statistics and numbers.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:28 AM

235 posts, read 115,065 times
Yea and I don’t think these numbers are even true. I was looking at Stafford County Public Schools and it said we were a majority minority district. I mean we’re getting diverse but I don’t think we’re that far yet.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:38 AM

235 posts, read 115,065 times
Yea and it says Stafford County has a 5 and Loudoun has a 6.2 after finding the mean

Old 06-25-2020, 02:54 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times
um

Old 06-25-2020, 04:53 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,967,960 times
One of the ratings methods I have seen is based graduation rates. Fine, let everyone graduate, without showing up, and your school is a 10. The school lunch numbers tell more about the culture at the school, and the quality of the area.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:45 PM

553 posts, read 616,092 times
Greatschools scores are not comparable across state lines. The comparisons used to compose the scores only take in consideration other schools in the same state. So higher scores in another state's metro could just come from the other state having weaker schools outside of that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia