Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the author?
Yes, these McMansions are hideous and can be used for multiunit housing 6 28.57%
No, this lady is an idiot 15 71.43%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 01:32 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnymarkjiz View Post
https://www.arlnow.com/2020/07/06/ma...the-mcmansion/

I kinda see this ladies point, but it seems like she has a gripe against people who build large homes on expensive pieces of land in Arlington. But if you're going to buy a .4 acre lot for $1M, would you live in the old house, or would you rebuild?

We had wanted to live in Arlington and buy a home, but when we did, the homes were $1M for an old 1940s style rambler that had 2 bedrooms and needed a ton of work. Then you see the giant homes next to the old ones and it'd look off.

The comments to this article are especially hilarious.
Ms. Green is a moron. She does not even own property there, and she invests her time in Arlington's absurd "affordable housing" initiatives whereas most of those in the program do not even work in Arlington county, which begs the question why they want to live in one of the most expensive places, and why are tax payers paying for it. She thinks that SFH are evil and should be replaced by multi-family housing and lots and lots of apartment buildings. You will not find any criticism from her regarding the mowing down of old homes to make way for more apartment buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 07:43 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,646,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Ms. Green is a moron. She does not even own property there, and she invests her time in Arlington's absurd "affordable housing" initiatives whereas most of those in the program do not even work in Arlington county, which begs the question why they want to live in one of the most expensive places, and why are tax payers paying for it. She thinks that SFH are evil and should be replaced by multi-family housing and lots and lots of apartment buildings. You will not find any criticism from her regarding the mowing down of old homes to make way for more apartment buildings.
I read one of her older posts yesterday. She lives in a rental apartment and basically feels like everyone should be living the same way as she is. I realized that it seems like she has an agenda.

Old 07-11-2020, 03:56 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
What’s wrong with replacing a 1500 square foot house with a 2000 square foot house rather than a 6000 square foot McMansion?

Old 07-12-2020, 07:33 AM

1,159 posts, read 1,288,748 times
We have developers trying to take down two 2-bedroom homes in our neighborhood and replace them with 18 townhomes at $800k each. The existing homes are eye sores, but the townhomes are going to flood our street with unwanted parking. The current set up means they will have 5 spaces that aren’t garage spaces and no driveway parking at all. So higher density doesn’t mean more affordable. My own 5 bedroom older home on the same street is about $600k. This is in Fairfax City.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:51 PM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times
The root problem is the crappy, post-war housing throughout many expensive parts of North Arlington. McLean has this issue too. A lot of 50s/60s/70s homes in great school districts with reasonable commutes and very dated looking architecture. These places aren't going to look great either way.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:06 PM

6,963 posts, read 2,696,549 times
The house is usually 2.5 times the value of the land. You MUST build a "McMansion" type house if you tear down an unlivable shack on the existing property.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:42 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
We have developers trying to take down two 2-bedroom homes in our neighborhood and replace them with 18 townhomes at $800k each. The existing homes are eye sores, but the townhomes are going to flood our street with unwanted parking. The current set up means they will have 5 spaces that aren’t garage spaces and no driveway parking at all. So higher density doesn’t mean more affordable. My own 5 bedroom older home on the same street is about $600k. This is in Fairfax City.
With upscale townhouses, you will avoid things like buyers who make illegal apartments in the basements (assuming they have basements) or investors who rent them to someone who creates a flophouse. All those are huge problems in lower priced townhouse communities.

Still, I see your point about the parking issue. With no driveways and very few guest parking spots, there will be overflow due to people having parties or those who own 3 or 4 cars.

If I were in your shoes, I would do what I could to fight this from happening.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:50 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I tend to disagree with your blanket statement that upscale townhouses avoid illegal apartments. Some (many?) - only buy something more than they can afford because they plan to rent to many people, many "family" members, etc.

Old 07-13-2020, 03:57 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I tend to disagree with your blanket statement that upscale townhouses avoid illegal apartments. Some (many?) - only buy something more than they can afford because they plan to rent to many people, many "family" members, etc.
Have you witnessed that happening? If so, does it happen frequently or is it a rare occurrence? I knew someone who lived in an upscale townhouse community and every time I would go visit, there was always plenty of guest parking available.

OTOH, when we had our house, we had two lower end townhouse communities next to ours and we were constantly plagued with their overflow parking. It got so bad that we had to petition the county for a permit parking district.

Either way, from what was described in the post I was responding to, I agree that those 18 townhouses will end up causing parking problems. Thus, my remark about fighting against this proposal.

Old 07-14-2020, 06:02 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,719,093 times
I'm not in favor of this at all--we live very near some McMansions--but I think that in the future this is likely to happen. Look at other expensive places, like San Francisco. Lots of old houses that have been subdivided.

The reality is that since a McMansion in N. Arlington/McLean/Falls Church costs an average of about 1.5 million, at some point their value as detached houses will exceed what buyers are willing to pay. Is anyone ever going to be willing to pay 3 million for an average McMansion?

Just as one can find remnants of old farms here and there, whose lots have long since been divided, eventually these huge houses will do likewise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia