Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 09:37 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,613,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I've said it before, and I will say it again. I moved to NoVA when I was 22. I successfully found friends and a boyfriend (now husband) without ever living (and rarely hanging out) in Arlington. It is not the only path to social happiness for young people.
Agreed. I have to admit I used to be one of those people who thought that. But after being here for 15 years and living in both N. Arlington and DC, and having friends who have migrated out communities outside-the-Beltway, there are a lot of other places with high concentrations of people in their 20s/ 30s and plenty of good bars / places to socialize to choose from. They might not be stumbling distance from a Metro or in some perceived 'trendy' area but they do very much exist. Granted we ended up buying in Arlington but it wasn't to be walking distance to the bar scene- we just really liked our neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 09:39 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,626,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Not all of Arlington is Clarendon or Ballston. There are many neighborhoods such as Court House or adjacent neighborhoods \away from the Metro stations that have plenty of households in their 30s (we're one of them) and 40s. I actually like some of the neighborhoods of South Arlington in and around Columbia Pike - granted there is no easy Metro access. Many of the frat atmosphere showing up at Clarendon bars also don't always live in Arlington - they come from the outer suburbs for a night on the town.

To the OP: Mosaic area would be worth checking into. It will be a longer commute to Ashburn / Leesburg but it provides easy access to Arlington and DC. I still also think it would be good to check into communities in and around Reston and Herndon.
The OP is in their 20's. Courthouse is close to party areas and has a young population. I'm not including all of Arlington in my assessment. When I think a 20 something in Arlington I think Clarendon and Courthouse mostly. I can't see a 22 year old living in a sleepy area of Arlington. If the OP is looking to be around the action and close to Ashburn I would opt for Mosaic or RTC.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
The OP is in their 20's. Courthouse is close to party areas and has a young population. I'm not including all of Arlington in my assessment. When I think a 20 something in Arlington I think Clarendon and Courthouse mostly. I can't see a 22 year old living in a sleepy area of Arlington. If the OP is looking to be around the action and close to Ashburn I would opt for Mosaic or RTC.
I live in Courthouse - the side closer to Lee Highway. It definitely skews older than Clarendon and Ballston but yes there are young people, especially near the Metro.

I agree with Mosaic or RTC for the OP. Fairfax City could be an option as well but I am not as well versed in that area.

Old 07-29-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
I live in Courthouse - the side closer to Lee Highway. It definitely skews older than Clarendon and Ballston but yes there are young people, especially near the Metro.

I agree with Mosaic or RTC for the OP. Fairfax City could be an option as well but I am not as well versed in that area.
In her age bracket and where she works, Mosaic and RTC seem like the best bets. I would eliminate Arlington and DC just because of the commute time. Tyson's wouldn't be much better for a commute and it really just a concrete jungle.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:30 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
Unfortunately / fortunately? for some? - Ashburn is out there, from what I know of it and the people that live there, most are families. Listen to others that you do NOT want a long commute (a distance of 15/20, etc. miles here is not like in other areas) - I agree that Reston or Mosaic District if you must (further) - are the best options. At least there is a metro there (although w/what we are living in.....)

Old 07-29-2020, 05:46 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Unfortunately / fortunately? for some? - Ashburn is out there, from what I know of it and the people that live there, most are families. Listen to others that you do NOT want a long commute (a distance of 15/20, etc. miles here is not like in other areas) - I agree that Reston or Mosaic District if you must (further) - are the best options. At least there is a metro there (although w/what we are living in.....)
Yeah, this area is weird in that sense. I remember when I worked in DC, most of our staff lived in DC or Bethesda and they would all joke about 2 of my co-workers who lived in Herndon and Ashburn for living "in the sticks".

So what some people consider "far out" really is determinative on where in the metro area they live and if you're looking to spend most of your time in the city, specifically DC, then you probably should stay closer in.

Old 07-29-2020, 11:09 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,289,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctilly View Post
Thank you so much! I truly appreciate all the input.
What would y'all say about fairfax?
Fairfax City is awesome. It borders George Mason University so you have undergraduates and graduate students all around. It’s pretty easy to find a room to rent or roommates. There are plenty of bars and restaurants and they aren’t expensive. Of course, I live in Old Town Fairfax so I’m biased. We have college kids in the houses around us though.

I think something people aren’t considering is that all the “social things” in Arlington aren’t happening right now and might continue to not happen for the foreseeable future. There are a lot more outdoor social options farther out.

Old 07-30-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ffxdata View Post
Fairfax City is awesome. It borders George Mason University so you have undergraduates and graduate students all around. It’s pretty easy to find a room to rent or roommates. There are plenty of bars and restaurants and they aren’t expensive. Of course, I live in Old Town Fairfax so I’m biased. We have college kids in the houses around us though.

I think something people aren’t considering is that all the “social things” in Arlington aren’t happening right now and might continue to not happen for the foreseeable future. There are a lot more outdoor social options farther out.
That's a great point re: the social things in Arlington / DC. Also while I was an advocate for re-opening (slowly)- the bars that are still 'happening' sometimes make me cringe when I walk by and see hordes of young 20 somethings crowded on the sidewalk waiting to get in.

I need to check out Fairfax City / Old Town at some point. I've heard great things.

Old 07-31-2020, 05:34 AM

The OP has some great options. Living in DC, I've learned to live as close to work as possible but in an area I'm happy in. I was never happy in Chevy Chase. I lived there for a year and hated it. Very boring area but it allowed me to stay in DC and commute to North Bethesda.

The vote seems to be Mosaic and RTC. I'd pick Mosaic as its closer to DC and I'm assuming cheaper than RTC. RTC rents are comparable to DC which I think is ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia