Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 11:20 AM

514 posts, read 447,602 times

Advertisements

Due to COVID-19, my employer is changing our telework policy and becoming more flexible about full time telework, after the COVID passes. As a result, I am looking to move out of NOVA to be closer to my family and looking to live closer to a costal area. The main reason I’ve lived in this area for so long was due to my job/career. But now, since I can work from anywhere, staying here has lost its appeal, given the congestion, terrible traffic and high housing costs.

I’m wondering if others in the area are having similar thoughts or plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 11:45 AM

26,711 posts, read 41,904,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Due to COVID-19, my employer is changing our telework policy and becoming more flexible about full time telework, after the COVID passes. As a result, I am looking to move out of NOVA to be closer to my family and looking to live closer to a costal area. The main reason I’ve lived in this area for so long was due to my job/career. But now, since I can work from anywhere, staying here has lost its appeal, given the congestion, terrible traffic and high housing costs.

My job is actually relocating my business unit to NC but we were also offered FT remote work as well. I decided on NC because it would be a paid relocation but if I had to do the FT remote work, I’d definitely not be living here. My choices would be the Eastern seaboard from GA up to PA.

If I had more of a choice I’d choose Columbus, OH since I have a lot of friends there and a social scene.

Old 08-02-2020, 01:51 PM

1,579 posts, read 965,496 times
Yes. I completely plan on doing this. I am only staying here until my daughter finishes high school, then I am moving to be closer to my family (primarily my mother who will need someone to keep an eye on her... me as the eldest child, and an empty nester at that point, would be the perfect fit for that). I would love to telecommute and keep my job. My boss has already agreed to let me telecommute on a more frequent basis even after the pandemic is over.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:55 PM

6,903 posts, read 4,371,800 times
I would lie if I said that this inspired the decision to relocate because I already had made up my mind on that long before the pandemic. But before the pandemic it was a 50-50 shot if they'd let me do my job remote, and in my wife's case a very long shot. Now with the pandemic I think my job is highly likely go to fully remote for good, and for my wife the chances have gone from long shot to probably better than 50-50. Once we have certainty on that, we can start preparing in earnest.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:19 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,541,085 times
The D.C. area is just so damned expensive to live in. The U.S. Government doesn't pay its workers enough to live there as a single income person.

Note: The FBI is in the process of moving and hiring 4,000 workers to Huntsville, Alabama to a huge complex under construction on the Army's Redstone Arsenal property. They've already got a large contingent of employees living in this ultra low cost of living place.

Old 08-02-2020, 03:20 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,421,546 times
Would be the smartest thing to do actually.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:01 PM

1,797 posts, read 3,655,290 times
Quote:

I left last October and moved to Pittsburgh for more money and a less cost of living and now I'm in VT for even more money and less cost of living. Honestly, I miss the DC area but probably wouldn't live in DC proper again. It's far too expensive. I'm looking to move to MD to be close to DC and my friends. It really comes down to what you want. I'll have to take a pay cut and my housing expenses will increase when I move back but I'm not happy in VT making great money. Not just because of the COVID but because I think the DC area is amazing and I miss it.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:39 PM

514 posts, read 447,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
I left last October and moved to Pittsburgh for more money and a less cost of living and now I'm in VT for even more money and less cost of living. Honestly, I miss the DC area but probably wouldn't live in DC proper again. It's far too expensive. I'm looking to move to MD to be close to DC and my friends. It really comes down to what you want. I'll have to take a pay cut and my housing expenses will increase when I move back but I'm not happy in VT making great money. Not just because of the COVID but because I think the DC area is amazing and I miss it.
I have to admit, that it a bit of a fear for me; what if I don’t like where I move. Overall, I don’t hate this area and I have made great friends here. But, I think I’m at a different point in my life and looking for a slower pace of life. At first I was planning on renting my house here in case I wanted to come back, but I decided against it as I don’t want the hassle. I will still need to come back for meetings and training once in a while, so I think that will be enough of DC for me.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:40 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,421,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
The D.C. area is just so damned expensive to live in. The U.S. Government doesn't pay its workers enough to live there as a single income person.

Note: The FBI is in the process of moving and hiring 4,000 workers to Huntsville, Alabama to a huge complex under construction on the Army's Redstone Arsenal property. They've already got a large contingent of employees living in this ultra low cost of living place.
I was just talking to my co-worker a while back about how expensive this area has gotten. The DC area, generally speaking, obviously has always been a wealthy area but who are these people paying close to $1M or $2M for a basic SFH or condo? Maybe it's tech money coming into the area... it's interesting.

That said, this area is expensive but it's still not NYC or SF expensive, it's doable if you have a decent salary and budget imo. I wouldn't be surprised if in the future, though it starts getting NYC/SF expensive since that's where it seems to be headed.

Old 08-02-2020, 05:18 PM

1,797 posts, read 3,655,290 times
Quote:
I have to admit, that it a bit of a fear for me; what if I don’t like where I move. Overall, I don’t hate this area and I have made great friends here. But, I think I’m at a different point in my life and looking for a slower pace of life. At first I was planning on renting my house here in case I wanted to come back, but I decided against it as I don’t want the hassle. I will still need to come back for meetings and training once in a while, so I think that will be enough of DC for me.
I just needed a change mentally and did it. I do miss the area a ton. To me, it’s worth taking a step back in my career to be happy mentally. I might like VT. I’m not sure during this pandemic. The dating scene looks rough coamored to DC and I have no friends here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia