Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2021, 06:46 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,898,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
In general are buyers in this area real skittish? Would a house with minor/repairable issues scare buyers off?

New to the area so not sure how people here roll.

Will have an agent engaged if we end up proceeding with a purchase; haven't even been inside yet.
A lot of buyers are feeling forced into waiving inspections, not even getting to the point to feel skittish

It's possible that this house hasn't sat "on the market" long, it may have had a quick offer and went under contract, then was tied up for 10-20 days around the inspection and eventual findings/issues. Then, coming back on the market, where are local MLS doesn't always tabulate correctly the DOM (days on market) that gets broadcast out to the various syndicated internet sites

Feel free to DM me the address, happy to look the data over and give my opinion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 11:17 AM

406 posts, read 626,620 times
I think this is great news. It sounds like the sellers will be open to receiving an offer with a traditional home inspection.

Talk with your agent, present an offer that makes sense to you, conduct a home inspection, use the data to make an informed decision.

There's no way to mitigate all of the risks. Do your due diligence and proceed cautiously.

Old 02-10-2021, 06:11 PM

304 posts, read 241,687 times
It's being listed this time "As is."

I've gotten my own agent.

Showing is tomorrow.

For closure sake I'll tell everyone how this crazy movie ends.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:08 PM

22,514 posts, read 12,061,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
It's being listed this time "As is."

I've gotten my own agent.

Showing is tomorrow.

For closure sake I'll tell everyone how this crazy movie ends.
Good to hear you got your own agent! Yes, please do keep us posted.

Old 02-12-2021, 06:50 PM

304 posts, read 241,687 times
Had the showing. The house was rough. Very weird layout. It's been a rental for 15 years. Sellers already had 3 offers.

Rough carpet, rough flooring throughout actually. Blatantly obvious water instrusion through a skylight.

Nothing updated. if you open closets/cabinets you can see old/original wallpaper on the walls. Gave me a bad bad bad vibe. So many possible points of failure in a house this old.

Wife loved it, of course.

Grudgingly....very grudgingly....thought about making an offer. My realtor contacted her Inspection Guy to schedule the inspection. After a 5 second conversation he said "Wait a minute.....I started an inspection on this house last week."

They had an informal conversation; the inspector found so much damage just from the outside he didn't bother to go inside. While on the roof there was so little structural integrity he almost fell through. He said that the house was only suitable for a demo or, maybe, possibly, a $100k investment in repairs "might" make it a nice house.

So, obviously, we're moving on.

Old 02-12-2021, 07:00 PM

46 posts, read 44,812 times
Stay as unemotional as possible and hold tight until the right opportunity comes along.
That house is a disaster and the person who buys it is a fool.
Glad it's not you.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:31 PM

406 posts, read 626,620 times
You should be open to the idea of not being able to compete in a competitive market. This market is making throw caution into the wind and logic out of the door.

There's nothing wrong with renting until you can compete or you feel comfortable making illogical decisions.

My main conversation with clients right now is to shift your focus from what you are paying and to winning. Using logic during emotional purchases is irrational.

To help them make sense of the purchase, I let them know that they should be prepared to hold on to their property for 10 years. That's how long it took to breakeven from the last recession.

Old 02-27-2021, 06:21 PM

44 posts, read 33,153 times
I had put contacts down on 4 different homes before taking the last.1-if it's sitting on the market, there's a reason why. It's been a sellers

market in VA for years now. But if it's had several contacts on it, only

to have each fall through? That means there's something really wrong

with it. You could blame 1 fall-through on personal finances falling through.
But over and over? And you need to find yourself a real good realtor before

you waste the time on going there. We're on our 3rd house and have to say

our last realtor was beyond awesome. It took us 9mo to find "The One". Our

realtor could've gotten rid of us so long ago and even made more money. But

when she'd notice anything wrong (more often than not, she could smell water issues'), she would tell us immediately. She saw things our eyes did not & always spoke up. Kept reminding us... Don't worry. The RIGHT one is still out there.
If you need a name and are looking for someone, she's Heather O'Neill with Coldwell Banker Elite. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia