Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 09:43 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,913,165 times

Advertisements

Check out www.potomacshores.com in Woodbridge/Dumfries, Virginia.

In your price range, you could get a lakefront home in Montclair, VA www.montclairva.com

Last edited by columbusboy8; 02-21-2021 at 10:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 10:42 PM

22,507 posts, read 12,052,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Only people from SoCal use “the” before the freeway numbers. We don’t do that up here in the Bay Area.
They do that in AZ, at least in the Phoenix area.

Old 02-24-2021, 06:51 PM

57 posts, read 47,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
My wife and I are both tech professionals in the SF Bay Area, with young kids (age 6 and 8). We've been playing with the idea of relocating, especially since remote work seems to be a thing. Here are the reasons we are thinking of relocating:

-Cost of living - Not that NOVA is cheap (at all), but if we were looking at a dream house here (modern, 5 bedrooms, 4-5k sq ft), we'd be looking at $3M plus
-Fires/smoke/drought - It seems that CA is one of the hardest hit places with climate change. Our idyllic climate is becoming less so with these constant worries (last summer, we had 2 months of bad air where we didn't want to go outside much)
-Lack of community - It has really changed here over the past 5-10 years with the tech community. People are extremely transient/self absorbed and its been very difficult to build/maintain long-term friendships
-Monolithic culture - Everyone is in tech (us included). While that is good for jobs/pay, it is a very heavy engineering (e.g., anti-social) culture
-Traffic/commute - I realize all major cities have terrible traffic. That wouldn't be such an issue except for the high COL, we have had to commute 40+ miles for work each way. Given that our jobs aren't in SF, public transportation wasn't an option (keep in mind that we're upper middle class and still face this)

We were looking at other cities back east and one of my friends who lives in NOVA is suggesting we consider this area, specifically around Reston or Vienna. Here would be the type of environment we'd be looking for:

-Dream home - See above (budget - $1.5M comfortably, maybe $1.75-2M as a stretch); would like either newer construction or nicely renovated (e.g., not old/dated feel); nice sized yard but not countryside
-Educated/affluent community
-Top public schools
-More of a community feel (friendlier environment, easier to make friends)
-Great environment for kids/families
-Close enough to city for arts/entertainment but far enough away to avoid crime, worst of congestion, etc.
-Decent access to public transportation
-Near walkable downtown areas and/or centers with good restaurants, shops, gyms, big box convenience stores, etc.
-Not a terrible commute to jobs (in case remote work would no longer be an option and/or we wanted to change companies)
-Outdoor recreational opportunities (mainly hiking and biking)

Based upon our goals, do you think NOVA would be right for us and do you agree that we should focus on Reston and Vienna?
I was at a similar crossroads a few years ago. I had the choice of the Bay Area and NoVa. I chose NoVa and have been very happy with my decision. I have a lot of family in California, and do like it a lot, but the allure had faded since I visited a lot and was quite familiar with the drawbacks of living there.

I highly recommend Vienna. At that price point you can’t go wrong anywhere but Vienna beats Reston and Falls Church. It is definitely more affluent. It goes without saying that the actual home, the lot and neighborhood matter as well but at that price point you will get a great home in Vienna. As within Vienna, the most affluent is probably a toss between the area of Wolf Trap that is north of the toll road (especially the west side with a lot of custom homes being built on estate lots), and the area around Maple street (again look for where custom homes are being built, smaller lots but very nice as well). It’s all very though.

I don’t agree with the comments around small town. The area is a suburb of DC, and given the development (which is accelerating and will remain the same because of the tech boom) you are actually pretty central to all of DMV. It abuts the beltway so not a major difference than being inside the beltway. You’re very close to Maryland as well.

Reston is nice but it has a horrible governing system controlled by a NIMBY riddled home owners association of sorts. It’s unique to Reston. They are in a losing battle with progress but still hamper it. You can see their effects in the quality of the homes, roads etc. Don’t get me wrong it’s still a phenomenal place and I personally think the generation of people who are controlling Reston will retire and finally lose their grip in a decade at the most. Reston Town Center us a very nice place. I don’t understand why people claim it’s fake. What does that even mean? It’s not downtown DC but it’s amazing for a regional destination and it’s growing incredibly well.

Falls Church is also nice but I don’t think there is anything outstanding about it. The area close to Tysons (Pimmet Hills) is gentrifying very nicely but it’s still not as desirable as Vienna.

Vienna has a very nice downtown / old town strip but don’t think of it anything more than just another one of many shopping destinations close by. You could live in Vienna and be much closer to Tysons or Reston Town Center. I think everyone frequents all of them. The homes are spaced out in most areas but folks are very friendly and go for walks. Most neighbors say hi and are very friendly.

Your resell value will also hold better with Vienna but honestly the entire NOVA region is pretty good in that regard.

Schools are much better rated in Vienna. I think their ratings went down this year but only because a new “inclusion” category was added and I hear almost all schools in more expensive areas got a 1/10 on. That being said, I don’t personally think school ratings matter as much and places like Reston and Falls Church are absolutely fine for me. It is a personal preference that many hold dear so I thought it’s worth mentioning..

I work in tech too and this is a phenomenal place for it. If you live in Vienna or Reston you will have a sweet commute because they are at the heart of the Dulles Tech Corridor.

The amount of green space here is incredible. You have trails everywhere. What I like about them is that people actually use them.

Crime is very very low in Vienna and Reston. I don’t know about Falls Church but I assume it’s the same.

Old 02-24-2021, 07:38 PM

512 posts, read 444,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVonian View Post
I was at a similar crossroads a few years ago. I had the choice of the Bay Area and NoVa. I chose NoVa and have been very happy with my decision. I have a lot of family in California, and do like it a lot, but the allure had faded since I visited a lot and was quite familiar with the drawbacks of living there.

I highly recommend Vienna. At that price point you can’t go wrong anywhere but Vienna beats Reston and Falls Church. It is definitely more affluent. It goes without saying that the actual home, the lot and neighborhood matter as well but at that price point you will get a great home in Vienna. As within Vienna, the most affluent is probably a toss between the area of Wolf Trap that is north of the toll road (especially the west side with a lot of custom homes being built on estate lots), and the area around Maple street (again look for where custom homes are being built, smaller lots but very nice as well). It’s all very though.

I don’t agree with the comments around small town. The area is a suburb of DC, and given the development (which is accelerating and will remain the same because of the tech boom) you are actually pretty central to all of DMV. It abuts the beltway so not a major difference than being inside the beltway. You’re very close to Maryland as well.

Reston is nice but it has a horrible governing system controlled by a NIMBY riddled home owners association of sorts. It’s unique to Reston. They are in a losing battle with progress but still hamper it. You can see their effects in the quality of the homes, roads etc. Don’t get me wrong it’s still a phenomenal place and I personally think the generation of people who are controlling Reston will retire and finally lose their grip in a decade at the most. Reston Town Center us a very nice place. I don’t understand why people claim it’s fake. What does that even mean? It’s not downtown DC but it’s amazing for a regional destination and it’s growing incredibly well.

Falls Church is also nice but I don’t think there is anything outstanding about it. The area close to Tysons (Pimmet Hills) is gentrifying very nicely but it’s still not as desirable as Vienna.

Vienna has a very nice downtown / old town strip but don’t think of it anything more than just another one of many shopping destinations close by. You could live in Vienna and be much closer to Tysons or Reston Town Center. I think everyone frequents all of them. The homes are spaced out in most areas but folks are very friendly and go for walks. Most neighbors say hi and are very friendly.

Your resell value will also hold better with Vienna but honestly the entire NOVA region is pretty good in that regard.

Schools are much better rated in Vienna. I think their ratings went down this year but only because a new “inclusion” category was added and I hear almost all schools in more expensive areas got a 1/10 on. That being said, I don’t personally think school ratings matter as much and places like Reston and Falls Church are absolutely fine for me. It is a personal preference that many hold dear so I thought it’s worth mentioning..

I work in tech too and this is a phenomenal place for it. If you live in Vienna or Reston you will have a sweet commute because they are at the heart of the Dulles Tech Corridor.

The amount of green space here is incredible. You have trails everywhere. What I like about them is that people actually use them.

Crime is very very low in Vienna and Reston. I don’t know about Falls Church but I assume it’s the same.
You really sound ignorant about Reston. Reston is a planned community and it includes master plan. So unlike Vienna, you won’t see a decent sized house torn down and be replaced by McMansion. One sees that a lot in Vienna, a small modest house next to MCMansion. In many cases, the lots are small so you can’t open your blinds bc your neighbors will see everything you do.

This is a case and point. The new build is totally out of the character for the neighborhood and for the size of the lot. If you click on the street view you, you can see what I’m talking about. This would not fly in Reston.

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Vienna/110...m_content=link

In Reston, everything is laid out nicely and you won’t see single family homes on top of each other. As many real estate agents will tell you, Reston is a very desirable place to live. And you call developers trying to destroy open space, including developing Reston’s golf courses progress?! Well Restonians don’t! They fought back developers and won! Reston has a great sense of community and grass roots organization. People in Reston, young and old, care about their community and that’s a great thing!

For your education, I included a link about Reston’s planned community. I’m not saying Reston is the best place to live for OP, but it is for a lot of people.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...50-years-later

Last edited by EmiSky; 02-24-2021 at 07:59 PM.. Reason: Added another link

Old 02-24-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
You really sound ignorant about Reston. Reston is a planned community and it includes master plan. So unlike Vienna, you won’t see a decent sized house torn down and be replaced by McMansion. One sees that a lot in Vienna, a small modest house next to MCMansion. In many cases, the lots are small so you can’t open your blinds bc your neighbors will see everything you do.

This is a case and point. The new build is totally out of the character for the neighborhood and for the size of the lot. If you click on the street view you, you can see what I’m talking about. This would not fly in Reston.

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Vienna/110...m_content=link

In Reston, everything is laid out nicely and you won’t see single family homes on top of each other. As many real estate agents will tell you, Reston is a very desirable place to live. And you call developers trying to destroy open space, including developing Reston’s golf courses progress?! Well Restonians don’t! They fought back developers and won! Reston has a great sense of community and grass roots organization. People in Reston, young and old, care about their community and that’s a great thing!

For your education, I included a link about Reston’s planned community. I’m not saying Reston is the best place to live for OP, but it is for a lot of people.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...50-years-later
Wow. I don’t even know where to start. I know the history of Reston very well. I also mentioned multiple times how it’s an amazing place, - the only issue being crazy NIMBYs like you. The founder, Robert Simon, was a visionary and remains an inspiration. NIMBYs like you would have hung him alive if he were to do the same today.

I have been here long enough to know that you NIMBYs don’t speak for the majority of residents of Reston. These are the silent majority who do indeed want a beautiful community with the same vision that Reston was founded on. The problem, which is being resolved, is that the majority tends to be polite and silent towards rude and loud NIMBYs who have no care for anyone else’s or society’s interests. Simply selfish and clueless..

The house you posted in Vienna is a perfect example and I am glad you put it. It’s a stellar custom home and there are multiple like it, - replacing old 800sf run down ramblers. This is progress. The architecture is a personal choice and form of expression. The house next to it will do the same. You can’t force society to be frozen to the decade of the 1900s that you think was the golden age. Also, the golf course you make reference to was proposed to be made into a a very low density residential area. The golf course has been bankrupt for almost three decades now. They weren’t going to put a Walmart there. This shows the level ignorance you have. People in Reston and increasingly getting vocal about NIMBYs and I think that is a great thing. It will bring back the vision of Robert Simon.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:56 PM

512 posts, read 444,414 times
Quote:
Wow. I don’t even know where to start. I know the history of Reston very well. I also mentioned multiple times how it’s an amazing place, - the only issue being crazy NIMBYs like you. The founder, Robert Simon, was a visionary and remains an inspiration. NIMBYs like you would have hung him alive if he were to do the same today.

I have been here long enough to know that you NIMBYs don’t speak for the majority of residents of Reston. These are the silent majority who do indeed want a beautiful community with the same vision that Reston was founded on. The problem, which is being resolved, is that the majority tends to be polite and silent towards rude and loud NIMBYs who have no care for anyone else’s or society’s interests. Simply selfish and clueless..

The house you posted in Vienna is a perfect example and I am glad you put it. It’s a stellar custom home and there are multiple like it, - replacing old 800sf run down ramblers. This is progress. The architecture is a personal choice and form of expression. The house next to it will do the same. You can’t force society to be frozen to the decade of the 1900s that you think was the golden age. Also, the golf course you make reference to was proposed to be made into a a very low density residential area. The golf course has been bankrupt for almost three decades now. They weren’t going to put a Walmart there. This shows the level ignorance you have. People in Reston and increasingly getting vocal about NIMBYs and I think that is a great thing. It will bring back the vision of Robert Simon.
I don’t get what you referring to NMBY?? You don’t live Reston but you speak for majority of Restonians? You make it seem like there’s no development in Reston, but the link below shows a picture of just one part of the development that’s taken place, just in the last 10 yrs. I don’t have objections about the development by the metro but I am for keeping and preserving open space and protecting nature and wild life.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...n-station.html

What do you mean about the golf course being bankrupt, Reston National Golf Course is very profitable. It was packed today, like it is on so many days.

Old 02-24-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
I don’t get what you referring to NMBY?? You don’t live Reston but you speak for majority of Restonians? You make it seem like there’s no development in Reston, but the link below shows a picture of just one part of the development that’s taken place, just in the last 10 yrs. I don’t have objections about the development by the metro but I am for keeping and preserving open space and protecting nature and wild life.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...n-station.html

What do you mean about the golf course being bankrupt, Reston National Golf Course is very profitable. It was packed today, like it is on so many days.
Hidden Creek not Reston National.

I don’t live there now but I did live there and still own a house there.

You keep handing me gifts with the links you keep posting. The Comstock project was opposed by NIMBY “community groups” and RA. They also opposed the one south of RTC. There is another one by Comstock which they also opposed south of Whiele: https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...g-project.html You NIMBYs are opposing office parks being converted into multi use developments. This is how crazy it has become. There is not one single project that has not gone unopposed.

The projects are finally getting approved with better momentum now notwithstanding NIMBYs like you. This is why I mentioned to the OP not to worry about NIMBYs like you stopping progress, and Reston is a great place with a great future. My prediction is that in 5-10 years RA management will be replaced and it will become a force for good.

By the way, the same NIMBY groups also oppose basic things like street lights. I was floored when I found out there is a crazy group that is behind Reston MAIN streets being pitch dark at night. They also opposed street realignments. Etc.

As for “protecting nature and wildlife”... this is a sad attempt to defame people by loud ludicrous false statements. When did anyone mention building in a protected area? Did you hear voices of building a Costco in Wolf Trap park? Did anyone talk about getting rid of Lake Fairfax park or any of the trails around Reston? Did you ever read the proposal for Hidden Creek Valley? It was not only majority green but also proposed to link several trails. How did the development of the custom house you posted in Vienna hurt wildlife? We have to remain in 1950s ramblers because replacing it hurts the environment? Do you even care that you don’t make any sense?

None of my neighbors in Reston agreed with the crazy NIMBYs. I was introduced to your craziness by them. That is where I speak with confidence when I say that I believe that the silent majority is sick and tired of you NIMBYs.

Old 02-24-2021, 10:32 PM

1,485 posts, read 1,440,439 times
I would take Vienna, easily over Reston.. Unless I worked in Reston, but even then, a reverse commute to Reston on the toll Rd from Falls Church or Vienna isn't bad, at all, by DC standards. I won't rattle the libs cages and say South Lakes is ghetto.. oops, just did. Get ready for a flurry of Ebonics.

Old 02-24-2021, 11:06 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,898,034 times
Welp this thread has jumped the shark

Old 02-25-2021, 09:29 AM

4,332 posts, read 6,301,882 times
Quote:

Appreciate all of the feedback here. Question - Were you originally from the Bay Area or are you local to NOVA (or neither)? Wondering how difficult the transition was if you weren't familiar with the area.

I feel like I'd like to get out there and explore the areas. Personally, I don't have a big issue with a newer/manufactured downtown like you find in Reston, as long as there are good restaurants/walkability, etc. What I haven't liked (so far) has been the housing stock that I've seen in the Reston area. I see that its a lot cheaper but it hasn't been of the quality I'd like. Perhaps its due to just extremely limited inventory. I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia