Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:04 AM

176 posts, read 542,573 times

Advertisements

Hi! We may be moving to Northern VA to manage a local grocery. We wont be making a ton of money and are looking for a 2 BR townhouse or SFH under 250,000. (Man, housing is expensive here!)
Here's what I need:
Excellent/Good public schools (I can't afford private)
Safe neighborhood (within reason)
Here's what I don't need:
We won't be commuting into DC so traffic and proximity to DC is not an issue. (I don't know what town my husband's job will be in yet- I was just told Northern Virgina at this point. We have two cars)
I don't need a big city with a nightlife
Wish list: A relatively safe and somewhat liberal place with a little bit of an urban, hip feel. I am used to college towns and grew up in Boulder, CO before it was too expensive to live there and am now in a suburb of Tucson, which I find to be a mind-numbing beige maze. A little bit of hip factor, but still family friendly would be great. Yuppie-ish is OK, but I would prefer a local coffeehouse to a Starbucks.
I should add I am not afraid of cities, but I have heard some rather unpleasant things about DC schools, or else I would happily be the only one driving the other direction on the highways as we live in DC and communte to NoVa.
Thanks for any and all replies-- I am at a loss of where to start my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 11:49 AM

8,985 posts, read 21,199,227 times
It will be tough to make specific recommendations as the extreme traffic here is as much of a deciding factor as housing costs in choosing a place to live.

There aren't any Boulders or Ann Arbors in Northern Virginia. Fairfax County leans left and Prince William County leans right while Loudoun and Stafford Counties appear to be "purple". I'm not sure about Spotsylvania (Fredericksburg).

Leesburg in Loudoun may fit some of your preferences. The Del Ray neighborhood in Alexandria City might be perfect, if not for the prohibitive housing costs.

For $250K, a 2BR TH is possible these days, albeit most likely in Prince William, Stafford or Spotsylvania Counties. If you can somehow find a SFH for $250K that isn't a foreclosure or short sale, you will probably be facing a variety of challenges once you settle in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlewmn View Post
Hi! We may be moving to Northern VA to manage a local grocery. We wont be making a ton of money and are looking for a 2 BR townhouse or SFH under 250,000. (Man, housing is expensive here!)
Here's what I need:
Excellent/Good public schools (I can't afford private)
Safe neighborhood (within reason)
Here's what I don't need:
We won't be commuting into DC so traffic and proximity to DC is not an issue. (I don't know what town my husband's job will be in yet- I was just told Northern Virgina at this point. We have two cars)
I don't need a big city with a nightlife
Wish list: A relatively safe and somewhat liberal place with a little bit of an urban, hip feel. I am used to college towns and grew up in Boulder, CO before it was too expensive to live there and am now in a suburb of Tucson, which I find to be a mind-numbing beige maze. A little bit of hip factor, but still family friendly would be great. Yuppie-ish is OK, but I would prefer a local coffeehouse to a Starbucks.
I should add I am not afraid of cities, but I have heard some rather unpleasant things about DC schools, or else I would happily be the only one driving the other direction on the highways as we live in DC and communte to NoVa.
Thanks for any and all replies-- I am at a loss of where to start my search.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-13-2008 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,517,128 times
I think it is much more expensive to live here than in Boulder or Tucson.
I strongly suggest you rent for at least one year - prices of homes are still falling. You need to see if you can stand the high prices, traffic and unfriendliness of this area first.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:29 PM

136 posts, read 516,414 times
Hey, my husband was looking to get a job in that area and we decided that it was just to expensive, especially with two kids. I would suggest renting a townhome for awhile until you find a decent priced home. It is a fabulous area and we would have loved to live there. Good luck!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:58 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,691,414 times
Just curious, is it Wegman's? (Are you allowed to say?) They are building a new Wegman's down the street from me in Kingstowne.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:07 AM

I am fighting the feeling that I am jinxing myself to even be looking at houses, but I had to convince myself that I could afford *something* before we went to far into the hiring process.
I think it's safe to say, though, that it isn't Wegman's.
I looked a bit at Del-Ray and loved it , but just a bit too pricey.
I am gonna check out Occoquan and Leesburg next.
Thanks eveyone-- and please keep the comments coming--- I need lots of help.
Oh, and I am from Long Island, NY, so I don't think the unfriendly factor will get to me.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:15 AM

798 posts, read 2,731,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
Just curious, is it Wegman's? (Are you allowed to say?) They are building a new Wegman's down the street from me in Kingstowne.
Where are they building the wegman's? I had heard they were putting in a grocery over by the Hilltop golf course but that it was not a doen deal yet. is that the area?
Thanks..

Old 05-14-2008, 02:53 PM

352 posts, read 1,593,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
Where are they building the wegman's? I had heard they were putting in a grocery over by the Hilltop golf course but that it was not a doen deal yet. is that the area?
Thanks..
We're apparently getting a Wegman's in Gainesville too.

As for our friend, the ideal solution would be bright-blue Arlington, but Arlington is very, very pricey. Prince William County would be the ideal choice if not for the desire for an urban, hip feel. The two exceptions would be Occoquan and around Old Town Manassas. Occoquan is likely at or beyond your price range, though, and Old Town Manassas is quaint and has lots of independent stores - but definitely leans right. That should greatly moderate with the election of a moderate Mayor, which is going to happen in November (he's running unopposed).

Leesburg might be your best choice. Where is the grocery store you're going to be managing? Makes a big big difference 'round here.

Oh, and if you thought prices were crazy now, you should have seen it a couple years ago! Prices have plummeted, especially in the outer suburbs. It's a much better environment to buy in terms of both price and supply than it was a couple years ago.

Welcome, in advance, to Northern Virginia!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:19 PM

I am definately willing to trade hipness for drop-dead gorgeous scenery, if that is possible in Prince William? Lakes, forest, rivers, streams... all the stuff my soul needs after spending too much time in the desert.
Wish I knew where the store would be, but right now all I know is NoVa. Hope that I will get more info soon!
In the meantime, I have a sneaking suspicion that there is not too much out there I can afford, so it may be a commute to wherever the store is from wherever I can afford to live. Works for me, I s'pose.
So, Knopfler, what is Prince William like, is that Lake Ridge area, because I am seeing some really cheap townhomes out that way and it sure looks nice from what I can tell, though I have to wonder why so cheap when other places are so expensive? Am I missing something?
Thanks!

Last edited by littlewmn; 05-14-2008 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: grammar makes sentence unclear

Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,901,263 times
look into both Leesburg and Purceville (a bit futher and smaller) both are nice safe towns with great schools etc... parks histoic downtown areas etc. Leesburg is the county seat so you have the quaint downtown courthouse and shopes, resturants, little movie theater etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia