Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How often do you go to D.C. for reasons other than work?
Several times a week 1 2.33%
Several times a month 8 18.60%
Once a month or less 7 16.28%
Rarely or never 27 62.79%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 09:19 AM

9,875 posts, read 14,118,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Why would residents of Virginia go "slumming" down in DC??? It has nothing to offer that can't be found here other than professional sports.
I haven't found an equal to the Kennedy Center or Smithsonian museums (other the Udvar-Hazy - and aeronautical things can get old quickly, if that's the only place you are going) in NoVA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 05:17 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
Central/Southside Va. resident here:

With the vaccine and mask mandates in place, I will never step foot in that cesspool again.
Cool, you should probably post this in the Virginia (non-NoVA) forum

Old 01-19-2022, 05:27 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,265,665 times
As a Woodbridge resident, I rarely go during this time of year but in the summer I go a couple of times per month (which averages about once per month all-year). Like other posters mention, Northern Virginia has a lot of what is needed from DC such as shopping, a little nightlife, and urban areas. In the summer, we are more likely to hit up museums, festivals (God-willing), check out a marquee performer at the Arena or catch a pro game.

Also, in many other cities an area like Arlington and Alexandria would be in the city limits. If that were included I would have answered several times per month.

Old 01-19-2022, 05:59 PM

211 posts, read 237,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Why would residents of Virginia go "slumming" down in DC??? It has nothing to offer that can't be found here other than professional sports.
I don’t know, maybe dozens of national museums, monuments, cherry trees, cultural events, concerts, sports games, musicals and live theaters, cool neighborhoods for bar hopping, clubbing, etc.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rural & red View Post
Central/Southside Va. resident here:

With the vaccine and mask mandates in place, I will never step foot in that cesspool again.
Yep, stay in your land of viral infestation. Don’t bring it here.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:41 AM

1,539 posts, read 1,471,963 times
Only on those summer evenings when I want to count the rats frolicking around Union Station....

Old 01-20-2022, 08:02 AM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm9stheham View Post
Only on those summer evenings when I want to count the rats frolicking around Union Station....

A couple years ago - the last summer before the pandemic to be precise - I got back into D.C. on an Amtrak train arriving at around 3 am. Waiting for the Uber to pull up was certainly an *interesting* 5-10 minutes.

Old 01-20-2022, 09:18 PM

555 posts, read 714,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
Is DC the major city though? Both Fairfax and Montgomery counties have more people. People go to DC for tourism, entertainment, etc but it's not like you need to go there for major shopping centers or whatever like you might in some suburb of say Charlotte.

I do agree that most people that live outside any major city aren't going downtown too often if they don't work there.
This is just a quirk of arbitrary city boundaries though. Charlotte has expansive city boundaries that include a lot of the suburbs, malls, etc. So someone in a suburb of Charlotte going to a suburban shopping mall isn’t really “going into Charlotte” anymore than someone in Fairfax is “going into DC” when they’re just driving to the mall in Tysons Corner or something.

Plus, the urban core of the DC metropolitan area arguably includes most of Arlington and Alexandria as well, so a lot of folks in NoVa head into those areas occasionally but it wouldn’t technically be “heading into DC” even if it was sort of an identical setup to someone from a Chicago suburb heading to Wicker Park to go out to bars or going to the north side for a game.

But functionally it doesn’t really make DC any less of a major city, it’s all just quirky arbitrary boundaries. Otherwise Jacksonville, FL would feel like a bigger city than San Francisco, which it certainly does not.

Hope that kind of clears things up.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:39 PM

1,380 posts, read 722,099 times
A friend suggested going to a restaurant in DC for lunch. I was totally not thrilled when he said it was smack dab in the middle of Conn. Ave across from the Uptown theater. I told him he had to be crazy... nightmare traffic and parking. No thanks. I retired 3 years ago and only went into DC for work. Have not been there since.

Old 01-21-2022, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villabella22201 View Post
A friend suggested going to a restaurant in DC for lunch. I was totally not thrilled when he said it was smack dab in the middle of Conn. Ave across from the Uptown theater. I told him he had to be crazy... nightmare traffic and parking. No thanks. I retired 3 years ago and only went into DC for work. Have not been there since.
Sounds like you’re familiar with that area. Cleveland Park is lovely, but only for locals who get there from the Red Line metro.

Yes, I am convinced NoVa residents are car creatures, because freeways are lifeline of NoVa (except for Arlington residents).

Last edited by DCarea; 01-21-2022 at 06:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia