Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:12 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrafael View Post
Herndon scoring higher than WS was a big surprise to me. Could that be because it is a lot easier for the WS students to go Rolling/Braddock to TJ? Personally, I would take WS over Herndon any day of the week. I love tht area around the Springfield CC. Am I missing something?
Herndon's scores were higher than WS's last year as well. People forget there are a lot of nice neighborhoods in North Reston and Herndon that feed into Herndon HS. You can still love the West Springfield area and the Springfield CC even if its test scores are a bit lower than another school's.

I don't know if the ease of commuting to TJ from the WS area has anything to do with WS's scores being a bit lower than one might expect. My sense is that kids in other parts of the county who get into TJ and want to attend generally find a way to get there.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:22 PM

53 posts, read 208,955 times
Yeah, I would like to hear some other opinions, but it seems like Reston or even Centreville would be a horrific commute to the Alexandria part of Fairfax County. And if you were in the band or football for two-a-days, and Saturday activities.......Schools like that have very little tolerance for tardiness. It ain't like the Federal Gov't where people cruise in at 9:42 because there was a wreck on the Beltway or something. You would have to allow more than an hour from Reston, and don't forget about those tolls.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:44 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,085,417 times
Quote:
Yeah, I would like to hear some other opinions, but it seems like Reston or even Centreville would be a horrific commute to the Alexandria part of Fairfax County. And if you were in the band or football for two-a-days, and Saturday activities.......Schools like that have very little tolerance for tardiness. It ain't like the Federal Gov't where people cruise in at 9:42 because there was a wreck on the Beltway or something. You would have to allow more than an hour from Reston, and don't forget about those tolls.
OTOH, in recent years, one of the middle schools sending the most students on to TJHSST has been Carson - which is located in, you guessed it, Herndon, and is attended by students from the western parts of the county.

But I agree that, as commutes to TJHSST go, Rolling Road to Braddock is pretty good. There was actually even a point many years ago when kids from Kings Park who were then assigned to West Springfield HS (before Lake Braddock SS was built) attended Holmes Middle, which is just a few blocks from TJ.

Last edited by JD984; 08-27-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-27-2009, 04:57 PM

6,707 posts, read 6,711,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeri0 View Post
Herndon High School's average SAT scores(which are not even the highest in ffx county) beat out ALL of Loudoun county's high schools!
Dranesville, Aldrin, Armstrong Elementaries provide half the feed for Herndon Middle and High, and I'll bet anything the average for kids who live in those three elementary districts is over 1700. People in Sterling, I mean Cascades, I mean Potomac Falls, think "Hernandez" is all kids of illegals.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:16 PM

Don't forget Flores, Garcia. and Lopez.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Don't forget Flores, Garcia. and Lopez.
Wasn't trying to be insulting earlier, sorry if it came across that way. Just many people in the 20165 zip - Sterling/Cascades/Potomac Falls/Identity Crisis call Herndon "Hernandez".

Old 08-27-2009, 05:28 PM

Now, I get it. Pretty funny. Isn't there kind of a good side and a bad side of Herndon. Something about the Herndon Parkway?

Old 08-28-2009, 11:07 AM

fwiw, in Arlington

Yorktown 1737
W-L 1623
Wakefield 1406

didn't see George Mason High for Falls Church City, but they were in the 1700s last year, and usually rank high

Prince William county-wide averaged just 1499, didn't see individual scores, but last year top school was Brentsville at 1595

so if I've counted right, that's eight schools in NoVa over 1700 - TJ, Yorktown, Madison, McLean, Oakton, Langley, Woodson, George Mason

Old 08-28-2009, 11:53 AM

660 posts, read 1,704,676 times
Quote:
I'm sure things have changed since I graduated from TJ ten years ago, but when I was a student there TJ had a lot more students from north Reston and Herndon than Springfield or Burke. At the time, the concentration of students pretty much mirrored the current SAT score rankings, with kids who would have otherwise gone to Langley and McLean the most numerous, and kids who would have gone to Mount Vernon and Hayfield, the least.

People had rough commutes then, and of course they are even worse now, but they did it. I'm not sure how kids in Leesburg do the TJ commute every day, but they are motivated (or at least their parents are). Also, it wasn't unheard of for the school to announce that there had been an accident on 95N, for example, and that a lot of students would be arriving late. Hell, Loudoun County used to get a lot more snow days than Fairfax, and the Loudoun students at TJ weren't required to show up on those days at all!

Old 08-28-2009, 12:46 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Wasn't trying to be insulting earlier, sorry if it came across that way. Just many people in the 20165 zip - Sterling/Cascades/Potomac Falls/Identity Crisis call Herndon "Hernandez".
I don't, my family doesn't, and none of my friends do. In fact, I don't know anyone who does and I have lived in Sterling since 1992.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia