Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 04:48 PM

12 posts, read 45,336 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

In July I'm moving from Boston (actually Somerville, right outside of Boston) to the DC-area. I'm 28 years-old, single, want to be in a "fun" neighborhood, preferably close to the metro, love city-living, you know the type...

I've been doing some Craigslist sleuthing, and it seems that the areas that fit my wants are Adams Morgan, Logan Circle, Dupont (but waaay expensive), and the Courthouse - VA Square corridor along the Orange Line. From my admittedly limited search, seems like the neighborhoods in the District match my desires a little better than those in NoVA.

Here's the (way unfortunate) catch: the company I will be working for is located in suburbia: Herndon. Living near there would make for a convenient commute... but I totally don't want to live in the suburbs!

So here's my question: given the reality of a hellish commute from a more urban area, is the District-to-Herndon commute gonna kill me? Is Arlington-by-the-metro-to-Herndon a reasonable compromise? I really want my commute to be no longer than 45 minutes each way. Are there any other neighborhoods you recommend for a reasonable commute & fun city life?

Thanks!
mark

Last edited by xantia10000; 05-24-2008 at 05:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:39 PM

3,307 posts, read 9,388,014 times
I'd say go VA. You can always Metro into DC to go out if the city life in Courthouse isn't up to your standards. You're better off with the shorter commute.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:09 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,202,536 times
Hmm, you are in a tough spot. Metro doesn't go out to Herndon, or anywhere close to it. It will when (if) the Dulles extension is completed, but that won't be until 2013 at the earliest (for phase 1). Even from Arlington, you'd be looking at a commute of at least 30-40 minutes (66 to Dulles Toll Road) and that's assuming no traffic. Unfortunately, there are a lot of reverse commuters on that route so it could very likely take considerably longer (subject, obviously, to when you go in).

My honest suggestion would be to consider living close to work. I know its not fun compared to an urban area, but as far as burbs go, Herndon is pretty far out there. I'd just think it'd be better to have to drive to the Falls Church Metro when you want to go out than to have to deal with a 40 min commute every single day, twice a day. If you do want to be walking distance to Metro though, you might consider living near West Falls Church station - then you'd have a quick shot into the District and into Arlington, and also be closer to work (right near the start of the toll road).

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia