Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:13 AM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKing View Post
Oh yes do share, lol I can't imagine anyone being jealous of a vacuum, but I guess I wouldn't be too surprised! We have a Miele and I find it to be quite a dandy but I don't think anyone has ever coveted it!
Yes, you got me, Miele here too. It's a good vacuum.

My dad got it for me. He's a gadget guy, and whenever he falls in love with a gadget he has to make sure everyone around him has one too.

For Halloween, he often gives away the latest (cheaper) gadget he's fallen in love with, like a simple wooden "happy back massager" tool he found one year, which was just a wooden ball with a happy face on it and 3 ball-tipped sticks coming out the bottom like legs. It looked like a happy wooden 3-legged spider. The kids loved it. Or sometimes he gives out silver dollars I think (or those golden Sacajawea dollars). He said that kids come by and say they've saved everything he's ever given out for Halloween, and then they list it all.

Anyway, that's the story of my Miele. Sort of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
What?! I don't EVER do my hair (I have toddler twins for heavens sake, lol!), I am always in sweats or something not dressy, and I still find everyone to be very nice to me. All I was saying was when your outlook is positive, positive things happen. I am not sure why everyone thinks Ashburn is so snotty. Everyone I have met has been so nice and accommodating.
Sweats are the proper attire, and I'm guessing your hair is already of the proper type. Yes, a pony tail (especially under a baseball cap) is the proper style. Just because you don't work at it doesn't mean you don't fit the image. It's like the point blacks have been trying to make to whites for decades about having the "wind at your back". Just because you don't notice doesn't mean you're not getting the benefit.

Anyway, I don't really care. I did my "Ashburn" (so to speak) and now I've found a way out and I'm not going back. I worry I might be stepping into something nearly as bad in my new neighborhood, but that's a different story.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmacf1 View Post
Welcome to Maryland, Vanyali! Not sure if you'll really be the only Republican (kind of doubt it,) but we Maryland Democrats won't hurt you . The state was once totally Democratic, but it has swung the other way in the past and appears to be more equal in its numbers of Democrats and Republicans. Our governor before the current one is Republican. So you can see there are definitely some here (including my mom .)
Thanks for the welcome! I think I'll be OK -- I managed to survive in yuppie Brooklyn for a good number of years, where my brilliant neighbors protested the closing of a tiny, outdated local firehouse by propping the door open with their bodies (can't "close" the firehouse if you can't "close" the door, right?) so I think I can handle Maryland.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:31 AM

78 posts, read 274,264 times
Thanks Twinmma we really have been pleased with our Miele. We have dogs too but they don't shed so we have never has to test it to that degree. Good luck with your dyson I have heard great things about that brand. Oh and talk about a tank my inlaws have an Electrolux that is about 20 years old and other than replacing the hose that thing is still going strong!

vanyali your Dad sounds just like mine, well the part about loving the newest gadgets, but he would never buy or share them with anyone else. You are quite lucky to have a Dad that will buy you such a nice vacuum!

I wear sweats and love to wear a baseball hat too, but I am not sure what the proper type of hair is? Not that I care to be proper, I just have never heard that term so I was curious. My hair is long, dark dark brown and frizzy and oh lordy don't let it be humid or my frizz can take over a city block!

Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,737,752 times
Yes, Miele vacuums are wonderful - they easily last 20 years, at least the German made models. Since I've been "bashing" Ashburn, I must say it's nice to have a Miele store close by. And of course there are many other nice things about this place like best playgrounds I've ever been to. So it's not all that bad..

Old 06-09-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKing View Post
I wear sweats and love to wear a baseball hat too, but I am not sure what the proper type of hair is? Not that I care to be proper, I just have never heard that term so I was curious. My hair is long, dark dark brown and frizzy and oh lordy don't let it be humid or my frizz can take over a city block!
If you don't have to worry about it, don't worry about it. Just keep your baseball cap handy in humid weather and forget about it.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:55 AM

8 posts, read 25,917 times
I know this thread is old, but I wanted to comment - when I drive through Ashburn, it does feel very sterile and cold to me. I compare it to Countryside where I live. Here we have a LOT of forested areas with large original trees, and in Ashburn part of the sterile feel is that they have almost none of that. I think they removed all the trees when they built for the most part. The townhomes there have almost no front or back yard either. Here, the townhomes (since most do not have garages) are on ground level and have decent yards so it feels like more of a neighborhood - and we have no huge climb with groceries to the front door. We have an end unit and we look out onto common ground with huge pine trees and no other homes in sight. Just wanted to give Countryside a plug. Yes, the homes are a little older, but still many are charming and most all are well-kept. The neighborhoods still feel like the old days before the mass buildings went on out in Ashburn wich as I said, has a very generic feel to it.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,864 times
It is not just you. People are very competitive in this area and many times it is hard to 'relate' to them as people put up pretenses of why they think they should be versus who they really are. You can not loose your identity, just be you. If you don't feel like dressing up for the trip to the grocery store, then don't do it just because your neighbors do, do what you want to do.

If you don't want to stress your kids out by putting them in 20 hours a week of competitive sports, then don't do it just because your neighbors do, do what you and your children want. You will be much happier in life if you aren't trying to 'keep up with the Joneses' and instead just live your life your way regardless of what everyone else around you does.

If that means you have 2 good friends instead of a social circle of 50, you still win!

Old 08-22-2008, 11:24 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busymomof3kids View Post
It is not just you. People are very competitive in this area and many times it is hard to 'relate' to them as people put up pretenses of why they think they should be versus who they really are. You can not loose your identity, just be you. If you don't feel like dressing up for the trip to the grocery store, then don't do it just because your neighbors do, do what you want to do.

If you don't want to stress your kids out by putting them in 20 hours a week of competitive sports, then don't do it just because your neighbors do, do what you and your children want. You will be much happier in life if you aren't trying to 'keep up with the Joneses' and instead just live your life your way regardless of what everyone else around you does.

If that means you have 2 good friends instead of a social circle of 50, you still win!

Bravo, busymom! My sentiments exactly. You have to live your life for YOU and your loved ones and to heck with the Joneses!

My former colleagues at the Pentagon are still laughing at me....and I DON'T CARE! LOL

Most of them, upon retirement, went with the big defense contractors making 6 figures.

In contrast, I went with FCPS driving a school bus for $35K....I don't need even that money. I'm having so much fun driving the bus, I'd do it for FREE! There's ZERO pressure and I have the joy of watching "my" 120+ kids grow and develop. I can't wait for school to start the week after next!

I'm so glad to be out of the rat race....they can laugh all they want!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:41 PM

12 posts, read 28,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plf View Post
Let me start this by saying I am in no way trying to "bash" Ashburn. In fact, the problem is probably with me. I have lived in Ashburn with my husband and 4 kids since 1999. I am originally from OH and at first it seemed like a safe, pretty haven with pretty much anything you could want to offer, not to mention a great economy. What's to complain about?? However, as my kids get older and I live here longer, I realize I am not happy here. The perfect neighborhoods and perfect kids are getting on my nerves!! It actually sort of depresses me that everything is so "nice". It seems there is no character, no "realness", no flaws in the neighborhoods OR the people. I hear all the time about everyone's kids and their honor classes, college acceptances at prestgious universities, travel/select/super-duper sports teams, etc, etc, the list goes on and on. It is like living in some kind of bubble (in fact I have heard people refer to the Ashburn bubble) and lately I feel more and more that I want OUT! Everyone seems to LOVE it here and so I am wondering if I am the only one? Is there anyone else in Ashburn who feels this way? I have been suggesting to my husband that living somewhere a little less perfect might actually be more enjoyable!

PS I do appreciate Ashburn's good points - there are many- and wonder if this is a case of the grass is always greeener....

I like you already. Ashburn is a cool are but a synthetic environment creates synthetic happiness. There is really no culture, why don't you drive to old town alexandria more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia