Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2022, 07:11 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,085,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Oh I agree they need to build more housing in Fairfax- SINGLE FAMILY housing. It should be a wake-up call that not everyone wants to live in crammed high rises and apartment complexes.
But if a whopping 110,000 - 120,000 people work around Tysons Corner, then "smart growth" would dictate that zoning should be upgraded in places like Spring Hill- McLean - Dranesville to allow more of those employees to live close to their jobs, instead of making home developers have to "leapfrog" over those closer, low-zoned areas to build instead in denser-zoned Loudoun County which is more distant, and therefore adds to the distance people must drive to work, usually in single-occupant private vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2022, 08:27 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,405,687 times
I mean, in Fairfax the average single family home price is $1M. In Arlington and Falls Church its $1.1M. Naturally people are being priced out, but when you look at the raw numbers, the area is still growing just not as the super fast rate it was over a decade ago (with the exception of Loudoun and far out counties like Stafford).

Old 09-03-2022, 08:32 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,405,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name Is View Post
I moved to NOVA a few years ago and promptly left a few months ago for both political and financial reasons among others. Trump Derangement Syndrome took hold and caused a massive Blue Wave, with symptoms including but not limited to numerous new gun control laws, CRT, transgender sexual assaults in high school bathrooms, so on and so forth. I remember there was even talk of the Loudoun county board (where I lived) making the sheriff an appointed position, just so he/she wouldn't be accountable to the people anymore. I don't think that went anywhere, thank god.

I at least made a tidy profit when I sold my house, but of course the IRS is going to have a field day with me come filing time. Anyways, no offense to the sane people who still live in NOVA, but to hell with that place.
Sorry about your experience. There’s always places like Texas, Kansas, etc. you can get the good politics you’re seeking, low taxes which leads to lower performing schools and cheap housing! It’s a win-win!

Old 09-03-2022, 04:24 PM

4,900 posts, read 7,457,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Sorry about your experience. There’s always places like Texas, Kansas, etc. you can get the good politics you’re seeking, low taxes which leads to lower performing schools and cheap housing! It’s a win-win!
Great idea! We did and have never been happier. Btw, our grandson’s school truly minimized the damage from Covid, reopened as quickly as possible and he is happy and doing just great. We have wonderful, friendly neighbors, whom we actually know. We found a church that actually preaches from the Bible and isn’t really just a political action committee. You also forgot significantly lower taxes. We have all the necessary stores (we didn’t really need Gucci or Tiffany very often) and entertainment (not the Kennedy Center but several great local college and local theater, music, touring musicians etc) within easy drive with minimal traffic. But if your ego feels the need to live among those who consider themselves “elite” and pompous, stay in NoVa. Our daughter and her husband are out of there in November and can’t wait.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 09-03-2022 at 04:39 PM..

Old 09-03-2022, 05:27 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,891,271 times
I am completely moderate and independent, but I hope Fairfax does not go down the same road as Montgomery County. In the late 90’s/ early 2000’s, MoCo and Fairfax counties were kind of mirror images of one another. MoCo is now unrecognizable, with overcrowding, crime, run down development, poorer education, etc, and does not have nearly the level of affluence, quality schools, or cleanliness/upkeep that NOVA has, save a few areas. When I am back in the area visiting family and go into MoCo, and see all the rundown strip malls, dilapidated office parks, and general rundown look especially in the collar suburbs ( areas like silver spring and Wheaton), it is sad. Howard County has overtaken Montgomery as the premier county in the state in terms of schools, affluence, homes, new/cleanly development, and general upkeep.

Visiting friends in NOVA, it still seems to look and feel pretty nice when I have been in the area over the years.

I don’t know the current state of things, but regardless of political party, I hope leadership does not let NOVA become what Montgomery County has become.

Old 09-03-2022, 05:58 PM

4,900 posts, read 7,457,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I am completely moderate and independent, but I hope Fairfax does not go down the same road as Montgomery County. In the late 90’s/ early 2000’s, MoCo and Fairfax counties were kind of mirror images of one another. MoCo is now unrecognizable, with overcrowding, crime, run down development, poorer education, etc, and does not have nearly the level of affluence, quality schools, or cleanliness/upkeep that NOVA has, save a few areas. When I am back in the area visiting family and go into MoCo, and see all the rundown strip malls, dilapidated office parks, and general rundown look especially in the collar suburbs ( areas like silver spring and Wheaton), it is sad. Howard County has overtaken Montgomery as the premier county in the state in terms of schools, affluence, homes, new/cleanly development, and general upkeep.

Visiting friends in NOVA, it still seems to look and feel pretty nice when I have been in the area over the years.

I don’t know the current state of things, but regardless of political party, I hope leadership does not let NOVA become what Montgomery County has become.
We both grew up in Montgomery County and you’re exactly right. Montgomery used to be the crème de la crème of everything. Now, unless you’re really rich, it’s sad.

Last edited by LynchburgLover; 09-03-2022 at 06:43 PM..

Old 09-03-2022, 08:25 PM

64 posts, read 24,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
I wasn't aware that schools could achieve a "higher performing" status by trying to brush sexual assaults under the rug. Thanks for reinforcing why I escaped your living hell.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:01 PM

2,539 posts, read 3,108,092 times
I wonder why McLean isn’t mentioned in this thread; home to the most bloated McMansions in NoVa.

Old 09-04-2022, 04:15 AM

491 posts, read 396,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
We both grew up in Montgomery County and you’re exactly right. Montgomery used to be the crème de la crème of everything. Now, unless you’re really rich, it’s sad.

A friend of mine retired after 33 years a police officer with MCPD. Just a year ago. He moved further out to have some land and move away from the hustle and bustle of Montgomery Co. He received a call asking if he would come back and serve again for a year or so. He told the Captain, who was an old friend, that he had to be joking. Coming back to work in the hellhole that Montgomery Co had become would never happen. This Capt laughed and said he knew that was the answer he would receive but had to ask. Most people know the history of PG County and know it is a place you just stay away from. Montgomery Co was not this way until the last 10-15 years or so.

Old 09-04-2022, 04:22 AM

2,146 posts, read 3,065,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post

Great idea! We did and have never been happier. Btw, our grandson’s school truly minimized the damage from Covid, reopened as quickly as possible and he is happy and doing just great. We have wonderful, friendly neighbors, whom we actually know. We found a church that actually preaches from the Bible and isn’t really just a political action committee. You also forgot significantly lower taxes. We have all the necessary stores (we didn’t really need Gucci or Tiffany very often) and entertainment (not the Kennedy Center but several great local college and local theater, music, touring musicians etc) within easy drive with minimal traffic. But if your ego feels the need to live among those who consider themselves “elite” and pompous, stay in NoVa. Our daughter and her husband are out of there in November and can’t wait.
That’s quite the broad brush you’ve got there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia