Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
This happens quite often. As a retired cop I had many times in my career where I had to euthanize an injured deer. Hell, I one time had to euthanize an injured horse. The owner, who was a vet, was there and asked me to. His front leg was severely broken from a car hitting it. I could hear the horse saying "Wilbur" when I was looking at its eyes. The vet showed me where to shoot it. (Right between the eyes) This was a tough one.

Just call 911 if you can't find the non emergency number and they will dispatch an officer there to shoot the animal.

As far as the roadkill posts. I've seen people taking fresh roadkill once we tagged it. If the deer was hit in the head and the body was pretty much left untouched there were plenty of people who would want it.
Oh my God, that's horrible. I would lose my mind if I had to do that.

I also heard (can't remember if it was on here?) that sometimes when you call an officer to put it down, that it may sometimes take hours for them to get there. That's why I was asking about killing it myself. This is all hypothetical of course, I don't own a gun yet.

I'm not so much concerned about tagging it to take home. The last thing I'll be thinking about after I've struck an animal is eating it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Personally, I would not approach an injured animal unless you're a hunter and know what you're doing. You may have kind intentions but the animal doesn't know that and will attack. An injured animal still has plenty of fight in it. More people are killed by deer than by any other animal. That's right--sweet little Bambi kills more people than sharks, grizzly bears, mountain lions, etc.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Personally, I would not approach an injured animal unless you're a hunter and know what you're doing. You may have kind intentions but the animal doesn't know that and will attack. An injured animal still has plenty of fight in it. More people are killed by deer than by any other animal. That's right--sweet little Bambi kills more people than sharks, grizzly bears, mountain lions, etc.

I thought when referring to that statistic, it implied that deer kill more people as a result of hitting them with their cars - and the injuries/death sustained as a result?

Also, I'm ballsy, maybe stupid. But I'm going to see if an animal is dead before I drive off. I won't leave it there to die slowly.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:03 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,428,918 times
I don't know who removed it or when, but my son called the police the night he hit one to let them know there was one on the FFX Co. Parkway. He was headed north,, just past West Ox Rd and one came out of the tall, unmowed grass along the road at full speed right in front of him. Thankfully he was okay, but enough damage to the car to be considered totaled. Poor kid! The only good part is it was also the day he finally found out that he got his first "real" permanent job after graduating from college two years ago. At least he can now afford car payments!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:11 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
Oh my God, that's horrible. I would lose my mind if I had to do that.

I also heard (can't remember if it was on here?) that sometimes when you call an officer to put it down, that it may sometimes take hours for them to get there. That's why I was asking about killing it myself. This is all hypothetical of course, I don't own a gun yet.

I'm not so much concerned about tagging it to take home. The last thing I'll be thinking about after I've struck an animal is eating it.
Believe me, was not an easy task. As far as shooting it yourself this can get real tricky. More likely you will be shooting in a gun controlled area which of course can get you in trouble. As long as the round doesn't ricochet and strike someone or something it likely won't be an issue but why take a chance. As far as the response time it really depends. This can be a low priority called compared to many but if an accident is involved it may be an emergency. Or if the deer is in the road this can be a traffic hazard which calls for a quick response. Just say it's a traffic hazard and you're good.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:16 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,234,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Couple of stories along this line. 1- Mom and young daughter came across an injured deer along Rt 29 and loaded it into the back of their Volvo SW and on top of Mom's winter jacket. Took it to a vets office which was closed. They called us and I showed up. She insisted we take it to a vet and get it help. When I insisted this would not happen and that I would have to TAKE care of it I suggested she leave. She knew what I meant and beat feet. 2- Motorist called after finding an injured deer along the road (again Rt 29) that he saw another motorist strike. I arrived and the guy said the deer ran off the road and laid down to die. I walked over and sure enough it was there and alive. I drew my weapon and was preparing to shoot it when it jumped up and fled the scene (hit and run?). It scared me half to death when this happened. I would have bet money he was seriously hurt the way he was laying there.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 940 times
I was driving out from exit 56 out to rt 80 when almost another car flew threw a yield sign and almost hit me...i had to drive close to my left on that exit...when suddenly ran threw parts of a dead deer... I called the town they said i had to call animal control of passaic county of nj. ...went asap to a nearest car wash went threw the car was twice..and the smell is horrible.. Then went to another 2nd car wash to have a under carriage car wash and again had to take it 2nd round. But honestly please if someone knows what can i use or what place to take it to take the dare dead smell out of my CHEVY...please reply to this post! Help!!!!

Last edited by SANCHEZ_HELP!; 07-06-2012 at 12:29 PM.. Reason: CAR

Old 07-06-2012, 12:35 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
In some places there is a list of folks who will come get fresh deer that are hit and use them for food. It was a rural township in Ohio. The road dept was responsible for picking up the carcasses.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:44 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SANCHEZ_HELP! View Post
I was driving out from exit 56 out to rt 80 when almost another car flew threw a yield sign and almost hit me...i had to drive close to my left on that exit...when suddenly ran threw parts of a dead deer... I called the town they said i had to call animal control of passaic county of nj. ...went asap to a nearest car wash went threw the car was twice..and the smell is horrible.. Then went to another 2nd car wash to have a under carriage car wash and again had to take it 2nd round. But honestly please if someone knows what can i use or what place to take it to take the dare dead smell out of my CHEVY...please reply to this post! Help!!!!
You might get some good tips in the automotive forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/automotive/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia