Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2008, 11:24 PM

3 posts, read 16,140 times

Advertisements

Hey Everybody, I just graduated from college with my MBA and start working @ a Fortune 200 company in Falls Church, VA this summer. Apartments are CRAZY EXPENSIVE I see in Northern Virginia and DC.

However after reading horror stories @ ApartmentRatings.com I don't want to live with mice and roaches at the $1000/month places. I want to stay at one the luxury apartments. What are some good ones?

Are these any good?
The Alexander (Alexandria)

Alexandria, VA Apartments and Rentals - The Alexander

Halstead Tower

Alexandria Virginia Luxury Apartment Rentals – Halstead Tower

The Meridian @ Carlye, Courthouse, Gallery Place etc.

Meridian Portal

Last edited by DC.Boy; 05-29-2008 at 11:29 PM.. Reason: Fix Links!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 PM

REQUIREMENTS
I'm not trying to pay ANYMORE than $1700/month.
Job is in Falls Church, so I want something close like Arlington and Alexandria or any other close cities.

Also Many places have 2 Months Free Rent which is great!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 07:40 AM

1,152 posts, read 3,200,408 times
If your job is in Falls Church, you might consider an apartment there. There are some newer luxury developments, I think. Falls Church City itself is pretty nice and is walkable, with a Main Street with shopping, restaurants, etc. Also, it is close to the East Falls Church Metro - about a 20 minute walk, but a really quick bike ride. I mention this because you could save some money there as opposed to the "Rosslyn-Ballston Corridor."

That said, if you want to live in the heart of the young professional scene, Rosslyn-Ballston is a good place to be. Your rent requirement of $1700 is just about spot on for that area. You will find some places less than that, some a bit more, but all pretty close to it (for a real 1br - if you want a studio/efficiency you can save some bucks). If you do live there, you'd have a quick reverse commute drive to Falls Church, or, if your office is close to Metro, you could reverse commute on that as well.

One thing to keep in mind - if you are going to drive to work, you might want to look at some apartments in Rosslyn-Ballston that are a bit further from the Metro. Get even 4-5 blocks away and prices can drop a decent bit. Walking that extra 4 blocks can be a pain if you are a commuter as it adds time to the commute, but probably isn't as big a deal if you are only using Metro to go out in the evening.

Finally, regarding the free months rent deal.. those are good deals, and they will usually pro-rate it so your rent for the whole year is cheaper. BUT, be sure to find out what the real rent is, and be sure you can afford it. You don't want to have to move out in a year because you can't afford the place once the incentive is no longer in effect. That happens to more than a few people.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:45 AM

593 posts, read 2,439,585 times
In my experience, Apartmentratings.com is a good tool to use as part of your apartment search, but take the postings on there with a grain of salt.

Most people who are satisfied with their apartments are not going to take the extra time to write details about the complex...so the site tends to attract a skewed % of people that have had problems.

Also, sometimes building management gets wise to the site, and will post artificial reviews to the site to inflate their apt's ratings.

The Clarendon and Court House neighborhoods would be perfect locations for you...an easy commute a few stops away to Falls Church, but on the weekends it's a lively place.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:25 AM

Thanks for your advice. I'm excited to be moving to NoVA this summer. I hope I have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia