Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2008, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,601 times

Advertisements

Can You recommend me a good area, with excellent schools and safe places near to Fort Belvoir..we looking apartments, condos o townhome for no more a $2000 a months... Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 05:08 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,195,944 times
Consider the Kingstowne and Belle Haven communities, both in the Alexandria section of Fairfax County (not to be confused with the City of Alexandria).

Kingstowne is a relatively new area of townhomes, condos and apartments in the midst of upper-midscale retail located just a few miles west of Fort Belvoir via Van Dorn Street (Rt. 613).

Belle Haven is an older community of mostly SFHs but there is a section near the small shopping center that features condos and apartments. It's a few miles north of Ft. Belvoir via either Richmond Highway (Rt.1) and/or the George Washington Parkway.

The Route 1 corridor itself, which runs through Ft. Belvoir has sprouted a lot of midscale retail as it remakes itself from its unpopular past. I regret that for your preferences I cannot strongly recommend an apartment or condo complex along this area (except perhaps towards the northern end although the high-end high-rises there may be out of your price range). If you can somehow rent a home in the Stratford Landing neighborhood, your kids will recieve a top-notch education in the namesake elementary school. The concept of "bad" schools in Fairfax County is a relative term that is discussed regularly on this forum. The less desirable schools tend to be socioeconomically diverse and include non-native English speakers but are not known for the lack of resources and discipline found, unfortunately, in many larger cities.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:13 PM

270 posts, read 909,826 times
I concur with the idea to look north of Belvoir. There are some good neighborhoods not too far away and you will have more of a reverse commute. Stay away from the Route 1 corridor. There are some cheaper rents there, but for good reason.

Most of the 22307 neighborhoods close to the river i.e. Belle Haven, Stratford, Waynewood, Villamay, Wellington, WestGrove, and Collingwood are all great, but they can all be expensive. There are few apts and condos in these areas. Look there first, you might get lucky. But in reality, there will be more choices in your price range around Kingstowne.
As TONE509 hinted, if you stay in Fairfax County, the schools will never be that bad - but people around here are super competitive, and even the slightest suggestion that one neighborhood school might be better than another will start a thread a mile long! Some neighborhood schools have specialty programs that you might consider such as foreign language immersion, but other than that, the schools reflect the diversity of the neighborhoods and are generally good.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:25 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,337,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbros View Post
Stay away from the Route 1 corridor. There are some cheaper rents there, but for good reason.
This is extremely good advice. Kevbros is not kidding

Old 07-28-2008, 11:29 AM

230 posts, read 758,841 times
I personally think Kingstowne would be an ideal location. It's not that far from Ft Belvoir, relatively new upcoming area, new shopping centers, has a new large movie theater, great places to eat, and Fairfax County schools (very good). Ideal place for a family! I agree with others not to consider the Rt 1 area close to Ft Belvoir.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,601 times
thanks for the advice everyone.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:14 AM

798 posts, read 2,730,968 times
I am no expert on the area but just an FYI which we did not realize until we started working with our realtor when we moved to the area. Kingstowne is a large planned community in Alexandria (FairFax County not city) but some folks refer to the entire area as Kingstowne. The general area is zip code 22315 and when we first looked at homes, I was confused because some homes would be listed as Kingstowne but they wer enot in Kingstowne proper which has ammenitites etc. I don't think you can go wrong in zip code 22315 which also includes another large planned community very close to Belvoir (Island Creek) and other neighborhoods as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia