Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 07:21 PM

20 posts, read 125,851 times

Advertisements

(First, let me say I posted the info. below in another NOVA thread, before I could figure out how to start a new thread...I apologize for the repetition!)

I recently received a job offer from the CIA (it's NOT a covert position, or I would not even be mentioning this anonymously online). If I accept the offer, I will be working at the DI/Ops in McLean. It will also mean moving with my husband and toddler son from the Bay Area/Silicon Valley.

I know the commutes in the NOVA area are supposed to be even worse than those here, but nonetheless my husband and I are hoping to avoid bad commutes. Currently, as bad as Bay Area traffic is, our commutes are pretty reasonable, so we do not want to relocate and end up with 45 min+ plus commutes. (As my husband does not yet have a job there, we don't know where he'll be working, but he's hoping to find something in McLean or close by.)

I've been told that Alexandria, Vienna and parts of Falls Church are nice areas for families and might not be bad for commuting to the CIA in McLean. I realize McLean is probably ideal, but I know it's also very expensive. However, might rents in McLean be more reasonable than buying? We only want to rent for the first two years at least anyway.

We'd be looking for a three- or four-bedroom condo or house. We can't really go smaller than 3 beds because we have two sets of grandparents who'll be coming on extended visits if we do make the move.

However, a plus is that since we would be coming from the Bay Area, we won't be expecting anything huge, newer, or luxurious for our money--a safe, pretty area within easy commuting distance is more important.

Finally, if anyone can recommend good daycare centers for an 18-month-old, i'd be very grateful. The research I've done indicates that most people in McLean and the surrounding area hire in-home nannies for babies/very young children, but my husband and I are very uncomfortable with that option. (The CIA's daycare center has a TWO-YEAR waiting list for children my son's age!) This is the most important issue for both of us in deciding whether to relocate, as out here I am lucky to work part-time, and in the evenings, and therefore we have never had to have our son in daycare. While I don't earn much, at least we don't need to shell out for childcare costs.

I have spent a lot of time reading messages in the NOVA forum, but just in case this info has already been provided and I missed it, my apologies. Thank you for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 08:06 PM

822 posts, read 3,002,187 times
I think you are on the right track with Vienna, Falls Church, McLean (and McLean/Tysons Corner). Alexandria seems a little bit far - I'm sure it's doable, but I'm not sure it is necessary. Further in you have some nice neighborhoods in North Arlington which are pretty close. Further out you have Great Falls, Reston, etc. I'm not sure about the daycare, but they have some very nice ones around there. I guess I have heard that there (McLean) are waiting lists, but they are high quality.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:14 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,010 times
Wait a second, the CIA is asking us for information? Shouldn't you be gathering intelligence from trusted sources?

Old 08-06-2008, 08:38 PM

Oh, I definitely trust the City-Data folks. :-) Plus, I'm not CIA yet--still debating whether to accept the offer. Thank you to blossom4792 for the feedback.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:17 PM

282 posts, read 873,149 times
McLean would be ideal -- nice community, good location, and an unimaginably short commute. Check out HomesDatabase for rentals (select "Virginia", "Fairfax", "Rentals" tab, and then scroll down to the McLean zip codes).

Old 08-07-2008, 02:33 PM

116 posts, read 427,905 times
Fun and Friends daycare in mclean has a good reputation.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:56 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,469,184 times
The western side of Falls Church, most of McLean, and some of North Arlington will be your best bets for keeping kids/work distances down. Long-time poster <claremarie> is a resident of and very familiar with that general area. I imagine the thread title will catch her attention fairly quickly...

Old 08-07-2008, 04:39 PM

84 posts, read 485,796 times
What do you NOVA people think about the Reston area? I'm moving out to NOVA in September myself and would like something near McLean but less expensive. Low crime and nice surrounding neighborhoods are my top priorities.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 PM

Thank you VERY much to everyone who replied. I am going to check out the daycare center mentioned. If anyone can recommend any other daycare in that area, and/or specific places that are good to rent (condo developments, etc.), I'd appreciate it. Thank you again.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 AM

116 posts, read 427,905 times
Another daycare in the area that is supposed to be very good is Tysons Corner Children's Center Tysons Corner Children's Center. But I believe they have a wait list and are hard to get in if you don't work for one of their corporate sponsors. As a nice place to live, I'll mention my condo complex - The Pavilion. It's across the street from the West Falls Church Metro station and some people from the CIA work there since it's fairly close. It's on Falls Reach Drive. We own our unit, but about 40% of our units are rented out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia