Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2008, 01:04 PM

11 posts, read 50,532 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new to the area and I am living in Arlington. My job is in Tysons Corner, International Drive to be exact. My question is...when would be the best time to commute from Arlington to Tysons and what would be the best route to take? Does anyone know any back roads? So far I have done: 66 to 29, 123- to Old Dominion to 29, and Leesburge pike to 29. The best was 123- Old Dominion.

Some side information: I live about a half east on 29 from the first 29 and 66 exit if your coming from 495. N Illinois St to be really exact.

Any help to a new VA resident would be awesome. I am loving the area so far.

-Ryan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 05:05 PM

822 posts, read 3,001,836 times
I used to live on International Dr. and I went through Arlington to get to DC. I am now looking at a map and my route was very foolish - I think I went down Gallows (this is the name for International after you pass 7/Leesburg Pike) and then I would get on 50, I think. Anyhow, don't do that. People told me it was a bad route, but this was before GPS. Looking at my map, I am wondering about the following as a back route (this in reverse, starting in Tysons). You could head down International away from 7 to Lewinsville and drive that (which parallels 267) and take it to 29. As far as the major roads (66, 495, etc.), I would need to know if you are, to some degree, going against traffic because of the direction you are traveling. 66 to 267 would seem like the most direct route.

Old 08-15-2008, 06:54 PM

446 posts, read 1,647,654 times
Depending on where you are on Illinois (near either Wash or Wilson Blvds), get to Glebe Road and go left. Follow Glebe two miles north to Old Dominion Dr and go left. Follow Old Dominion 4 miles into McLean to Route 123/Dolley Madison and go left. Dolley Madison becomes Chain Bridge Road before it goes under the Beltway and drops you into Tysons. Allow 30 minutes for this route.

WHATEVER YOU DO....remember that 66 East coming into Arlington at the end of the day is a pain. It slows beginning at Route 7 if coming in from Fairfax and just past the 123 interchange if coming in on 267/Dulles Toll Road.

Best of luck and welcome to the area!

Old 08-16-2008, 09:11 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Welcome to the DC area!

I've done nearly the same commute for four years when going to my company's main office in Tysons Corner. I live in the Court House area of Arlington and always just use 66 to 7 to wherever in Tysons. Those side streets save very little time plus I always found them to be very unpredictable with regard to stop lights and VERY congested.

I can usually make it in 30-35 minutes. Most of the delays are once I get into the Tysons area. I guess with my route though it will depend on where you work along International Drive. Are you near the intersection of Route 7 and International or are you over near Tysons II. If you work near Tysons II you could do 66 to 7 to the Beltway and go one exit up to Chain Bridge.

Old 08-17-2008, 05:00 PM

11 posts, read 50,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneeratheart View Post
Welcome to the DC area!

I can usually make it in 30-35 minutes. Most of the delays are once I get into the Tysons area. I guess with my route though it will depend on where you work along International Drive. Are you near the intersection of Route 7 and International or are you over near Tysons II. If you work near Tysons II you could do 66 to 7 to the Beltway and go one exit up to Chain Bridge.
I work at 8255 Greensboro drive which is off the International Drive across the street from Tysons II. It sounds like 66 to Chain Bridge going from Atown to Tysons in the morning, then Chain Bridge to Old Dominion or Chain Bridge to 66 going home. How does that sound?

Old 08-17-2008, 06:31 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
Sounds good. The traffic tends to be a little worse in the evenings but you should likely be home in 40ish minutes sans any accidents or bad weather.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:45 PM

73 posts, read 281,282 times
The best time to leave Arlington is anytime before 7:30am. After that the traffic backs up from the fairfax drive ramp to 66. I have done back ways (Washington blvd, old dominion, etc) and sometimes they are faster but other times you get stuck behind school buses, or people turning left, etc. I have found 66 to be the best. I would take 66 west to the toll road exit (don't worry you don't have to pay toll) and take the exit for 123 towards Tysons. Go up a light or two, and as soon as 495 exits, you'll make a right on Tysons's Blvd. Tyson's Blvd curves around and will put you on International drive next to Tyson's Two.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 17,233 times
Take 66 and follow around towards 495 (McLean). Go past the McLean Exits and on to the Dulles Tool road. Get off on 1st exit (Springhill Road) and make left. Springhill becomes International. Cost you 50 cents, but save you an easy 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia