Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:54 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,979,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCworkFL View Post
I'm used to the beach cities in Southern CA like Santa Monica, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Seal Beach.
Hey there--greetings from a fellow former Redondo Beach bum. You aren't going to find anything quite like the beach cities in NOVA, but you will find quite a few people who moved here from So. Cal, especially aerospace engineers. I know a whole bunch of RB people here, we still read the Daily Breeze in the morning.

So the good news is that you'll find bits and pieces of California here. But the vibe is different. Most people I know grow to like the NOVA vibe, but still have a place in their heart for the beach cities. The best idea is to let go of finding a place like California and embrace something new.

Meanwhile, here's one thing my RB friends really like to do here. We enjoy kayaking on the Potomac--it's what people do instead of surfing. Go early in the morning to see an amazing array of birds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 06:59 PM

4,452 posts, read 8,149,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
Hello There!

Could you please expand upon exactly HOW/WHAT/WHO/WHEN Alexandria was so-called "ghetto"? A great portion of Fairfax County's 10% African-American populace call Alexandria home, and so I hope you are not misaliging your opinions solely because there are Black People living in Alexandria! Now if you are meaning "ghetto" in that the buildings look older, well you see Alexandria is a historic place with many old homes, but nobody ever calls Old Towne "ghetto" and so I infer that you aren't using "seems really ghetto" in response to the buildings, but rather the PEOPLE since you go on to talk about the people you saw at the health food store!! What is so "ghetto" about Alexandria residents??
I hate it that some people always jump to the race card! Gawd it's annoying. And when I say some people, I mean you, not any certain group, just you. I mean ghetto was first used to describe the jewish neighborhoods. I don't see jewish people getting all bent out of shape when people use that word, so for goodness sake why should anyone else?

Old 04-10-2009, 10:11 AM

79 posts, read 250,900 times
You never really mention what sorta space you're looking for and what kind of budget you have. Also, do you need to be near a specific place of work and have commute requirements? If the only qualifications are that you like SaMo and want stuff that has a similarly hip vibe, I'd say look at Clarendon, Dupont, Cleveland Park / Woodley. Otherwise, provide your specifics in terms of budget, location needs, etc... and there will be lots of people here who can help you find exactly what you need. I do agree with you that Van Dorn is not an especially great area for someone who is early thirties and wants some nightlife/entertainment. There are at least a dozen areas I can think of that would be a ten times better.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:40 PM

269 posts, read 1,003,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneasterisk View Post
I hate it that some people always jump to the race card! Gawd it's annoying. And when I say some people, I mean you, not any certain group, just you. I mean ghetto was first used to describe the jewish neighborhoods. I don't see jewish people getting all bent out of shape when people use that word, so for goodness sake why should anyone else?
Well I get annoyed too when I have to bear witness to all the terrible stereotypes and blatant lies that some people spread on these message boards!! And I'm not gonna let that sort of stuff slide, though I see that the Moderators in the Forum are happy to sit by and do no Moderating in these situations!

Reality is that most of DC Area is old and "run-down" inside the Beltway, and I've seen mice running around while dining in Georgetown, yet you never hear those complaints, only about how "charming" the old buildings are. Yet, when National Harbour had a mice problem it was posted all over the WP and the new development was bashed, all because of being located in PG County!

Alexandria is run-down, PERIOD, even Old Towne. And if the OP wants spanking sparkley *new* then he should give Loudon County a try but I see through the double-speak and I just know that he's referring to the PEOPLE as "ghetto" and not the PLACE itself!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia