Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 09:46 PM

206 posts, read 633,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Not a personal attack. Rather a question concerning what has become a pattern of flawed, inaccurate, and misleading information. None of which has been conceded in the light of correction. No children from Vienna Woods attend Freedom Hill ES. No children from Pimmit Hills attend McLean HS. That's but the beginning.
You seriously need to get off your obsession with perceived boundary lines and how your shopping habits define what you call a city or a location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 09:51 PM

264 posts, read 854,974 times
I think Handy man is referring to the madison island above dulles tollroad that is Vienna (not reston) and got redistricted to South lakes.. I know some families that were impacted.. you can check out the fcps site.. They are nice neighborhoods like Colvin Run Estates, Browns Mill Forest- etc. are all Vienna, VA addresses. But of course not town of Vienna (which I live in- we are safe with Madison- little chance of that changing).

To the OP- in reference to your question re. Falls Church vs Vienna- I personally would pick Vienna (and I have lived at both places and way long in this area- went to HS here but in Alexandria). If you do decide on Falls Church- a safe bet is Falls Church city- all Falls Church City schools are top notch. I found Vienna easier for commuting to either McLean or Dulles (I work in McLean and DH works in Herndon).. it's really not a big issue. the housing prices have dropped so much that you can get a fixer upper for $500K- I would personally stick to the northern part of Vienna. I am close to 4 houses for sale- 2 of them for $500k and one asking $630K (won't get it)- all with .5 acres.. All are tear down or major renovation.. most of my neighbors have already done this and we have an eclectic mix of housing styles that mostly value on the high side.. PP's have listed school recommendations for Vienna already.

Welcome and I hope we can all help you!

Old 09-12-2008, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
I think Handy man is referring to the madison island above dulles tollroad that is Vienna (not reston) and got redistricted to South lakes.. I know some families that were impacted.. you can check out the fcps site.. They are nice neighborhoods like Colvin Run Estates, Browns Mill Forest- etc. are all Vienna, VA addresses. But of course not town of Vienna (which I live in- we are safe with Madison- little chance of that changing).

To the OP- in reference to your question re. Falls Church vs Vienna- I personally would pick Vienna (and I have lived at both places and way long in this area- went to HS here but in Alexandria). If you do decide on Falls Church- a safe bet is Falls Church city- all Falls Church City schools are top notch. I found Vienna easier for commuting to either McLean or Dulles (I work in McLean and DH works in Herndon).. it's really not a big issue. the housing prices have dropped so much that you can get a fixer upper for $500K- I would personally stick to the northern part of Vienna. I am close to 4 houses for sale- 2 of them for $500k and one asking $630K (won't get it)- all with .5 acres.. All are tear down or major renovation.. most of my neighbors have already done this and we have an eclectic mix of housing styles that mostly value on the high side.. PP's have listed school recommendations for Vienna already.

Welcome and I hope we can all help you!
Funny, I would have said the west side of Falls Church has schools (Haycock & Longfellow) better than Falls Church City and comparable, if not better, than most in Vienna, but then some here would consider that area McLean even though it has a Falls Church address.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
You seriously need to get off your obsession with perceived boundary lines and how your shopping habits define what you call a city or a location.
You seriously need to be more precise in your posting and to do more fact-checking before engaging in it. In the two examples cited, your posts served to create hopes where there was no foundation for them, and fears where there was no reason for them. That sort of thing does not provide value or service to those who are trying to learn more about this area. Moving anywhere is a Big Step for anyone. You would do well in mustering a little more respect for the needs and interests of those who are engaged in it.

Meanwhile, boundaries (in the relatively few places where they exist) are not perceived. They are firmly and formally established, and they have significant implications that are important to the potential interests of those reading these boards. Care should be taken when using place names to be specific with respect to those implications. You have frequently not taken such care.

Additionally, while professing to mock the concept of focus, affiliation, or orientation, you have (of necessity) proceeded to employ it yourself. This does not suggest well in terms of such characteristics as consistency or objectivity. Because the vast majority of the sprawling acreage of NoVa does not lie within the boundaries of any incorporated area, one's practical place of residence will typically be defined by degrees of vagary in soft variables. You plainly have sufficient experience in NoVa to have acquired significant information. Why not organize that so as to help information-seekers better understand the organizational oddities of NoVa and their actual implications for day-to-day living here? Then you could simply drop such sillinesses as that the roads are more narrower (sic) in Vienna, or that the Metro stations are more suitably spaced in Falls Church...

Old 09-13-2008, 08:52 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabellava View Post
He hasn't limited his reference to any specific aspect of the boundary reorganization, so I suspect he means to refer to the entirely of it, which would include the shift of Fox Mill ES from Oakton to South Lakes and a part of Floris ES from Westfield to South Lakes.

The Madison Island meanwhile did indeed include some very nice areas and neighborhoods. In general terms, they lie just to the east of Lake Fairfax. If you were given the following quiz question...

1. Lake Fairfax is located in...
A. Reston
B. Vienna

...what would your answer be? It was a fact that students in the Madison Island had to drive past South Lakes HS less than half way along in their journey to classes at JMHS. Given an increasing HS-age population in the existing JMHS district and a decreasing HS-age population in the existing SLHS district, what else should have been done? What else should have been expected?

Otherwise, I'd concur in your Falls Church and Vienna comments, except perhaps with the "stick to the northern part of Vienna" sentiment. Demographically, there are income and related advantages in the NE and NW quadrants, but moreso with respect to SW than to SE. Also Wolftrap Creek and what is now the W&OD Trail have more impact on ability to get around on the north side of town than they do on the south. Not to endorse either one over the other...just to say that excluding any side from consideration might not be warranted...

Last edited by saganista; 09-13-2008 at 09:01 AM..

Old 09-13-2008, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You seriously need to be more precise in your posting and to do more fact-checking before engaging in it. In the two examples cited, your posts served to create hopes where there was no foundation for them, and fears where there was no reason for them. That sort of thing does not provide value or service to those who are trying to learn more about this area. Moving anywhere is a Big Step for anyone. You would do well in mustering a little more respect for the needs and interests of those who are engaged in it.

Meanwhile, boundaries (in the relatively few places where they exist) are not perceived. They are firmly and formally established, and they have significant implications that are important to the potential interests of those reading these boards. Care should be taken when using place names to be specific with respect to those implications. You have frequently not taken such care.

Additionally, while professing to mock the concept of focus, affiliation, or orientation, you have (of necessity) proceeded to employ it yourself. This does not suggest well in terms of such characteristics as consistency or objectivity. Because the vast majority of the sprawling acreage of NoVa does not lie within the boundaries of any incorporated area, one's practical place of residence will typically be defined by degrees of vagary in soft variables. You plainly have sufficient experience in NoVa to have acquired significant information. Why not organize that so as to help information-seekers better understand the organizational oddities of NoVa and their actual implications for day-to-day living here? Then you could simply drop such sillinesses as that the roads are more narrower (sic) in Vienna, or that the Metro stations are more suitably spaced in Falls Church...
Yeah, and using shopping convenience as a marker for boundaries is a joke too. Seriously.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
He hasn't limited his reference to any specific aspect of the boundary reorganization, so I suspect he means to refer to the entirely of it, which would include the shift of Fox Mill ES from Oakton to South Lakes and a part of Floris ES from Westfield to South Lakes.

The Madison Island meanwhile did indeed include some very nice areas and neighborhoods. In general terms, they lie just to the east of Lake Fairfax. If you were given the following quiz question...

A. Reston
B. Vienna

...what would your answer be? It was a fact that students in the Madison Island had to drive past South Lakes HS less than half way along in their journey to classes at JMHS. Given an increasing HS-age population in the existing JMHS district and a decreasing HS-age population in the existing SLHS district, what else should have been done? What else should have been expected?

Otherwise, I'd concur in your Falls Church and Vienna comments, except perhaps with the "stick to the northern part of Vienna" sentiment. Demographically, there are income and related advantages in the NE and NW quadrants, but moreso with respect to SW than to SE. Also Wolftrap Creek and what is now the W&OD Trail have more impact on ability to get around on the north side of town than they do on the south. Not to endorse either one over the other...just to say that excluding any side from consideration might not be warranted...
Suspecting = assuming = and you know what happens when YOU assume.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Funny, I would have said the west side of Falls Church has schools (Haycock & Longfellow) better than Falls Church City and comparable, if not better, than most in Vienna, but then some here would consider that area McLean even though it has a Falls Church address.
I agree on that but I didn't want to confuse a newcomer- plus I personally would avoid borders since who knows if and when the FCPS can decide to redistrict- I know.. I just saw too many people impacted this last round- and getting hit again soon with ES level..

Old 09-13-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:

A. Reston
B. Vienna

I was only recognizing that the Madison island was comprised of Vienna, VA addresses- why it's "Vienna"- I have no idea.. but then a lot of quirky things are abundant in this area.. it also doesn't (but does) make sense why Great Falls proper feeds to Langley which is a 20-25 minute bus ride and would feed to much closer HS's.. I really wasn't saying this to start a discussion- just to note that technically, "Vienna, VA" residents were impacted..

Re. N vs S Vienna- in general, you can't go wrong around here- the biggest area I'd personally avoid is Cedar but I also have friends who live in nice communities near Cedar (not mansions but family oriented/safe)..

Old 09-13-2008, 08:35 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,953,454 times
Houses in the town of Vienna feed to Thoreau middle school and Madison high school. Those are considered the town schools. Those boundaries for the town were set in the mid 1980's and are not likely to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia