Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 AM

20 posts, read 61,279 times

Advertisements

We have just recently moved to Burke. Last week when we tried to get to work, our Honda Accord would not start. We've tried to jump the battery - but that did not work. Could anyone give us a good recommendation for a place to have our car repaired near Burke?

Thanks for any advice/recommendation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2008, 05:37 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
If you can find an honest mechanic ANYWHERE here, please post it. I've got three vehicles and tried a dealership (Honda), a national franchise (Midas) and two local mechanics. And with one exception, all tried to cheat me by claiming I needed work done that I knew I didn't (e.g. brake job when it had just been done in Maine). I even had the experience of watching a service manager explain to a gal why she was being charged almost $100 for a fuel and oil additive. WHAT A RIPOFF! Although I'm not an expert mechanic, I used to service my own vehicles, including engine rebuilding, and I've never seen anything like it.

Advice: Don't have any work done at a shop that says you need it. Take your car to another shop, get the second opinion without telling them about the first one, and get it done there if they find the same problem. Never have work done at a shop that "finds" other unrelated problems unless you can see them with you own eyes.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:47 AM

652 posts, read 1,304,565 times
I've never used them but quite a few of my neighbors swear by the Shell station at the corner of Old Keene Mill and Rolling Road.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:07 PM

20 posts, read 61,279 times
Thank you for your feedback. I'll let you know what our experience once we get the car looked at/worked on.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:47 PM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I used to deliver auto parts to all of the shops in the Burke area, but I couldn't begin to tell you which one to go to.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,948 times
I live in Burke, and I have been taking my Accord to Hendrick Honda in Woodbridge for years. They do a pretty good job. I took my car to Fairfax Honda once - never again. The management was rude and the service was poor. I have not had a problem with Hendrick; when it came time to get a new car, I went back to them because of the quality of service. It's worth the drive. If you are looking for simple maintenance like a new battery, an oil change or to fix a tire, Craven Tire and Auto just north of the intersection of Burke Lake and Ox Road (123) seems to do OK. I have taken cars there for small stuff and not been disappointed. I think Craven might have been bought out recently, however. No data on how that might have changed things.

Last edited by navy699; 09-17-2008 at 05:11 PM..

Old 09-17-2008, 06:59 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
We absolutely love and trust the Shell at Duke & Pickett, took an older car there that another place had said needed a ton of work - it didn't, got some minimal work that was needed and had the car for yrs. more before donating it (it was 20 yrs. old then). The owner, Bob is always very friendly and accommodating.

I have no financial interest or anything in the facility, just saying I trust them.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:16 PM

17,389 posts, read 16,524,581 times
We've used Kings Park Exxon (Int Braddock Rd and Rolling Rd).

Cardinal Plaza Shell (Int Rolling Rd and Old Keene Mill) is also good, but very busy.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,765 times
I bought my Honda Civic from Fairfax Honda in 2003 and had good experience. But its service shop stinks, especially since it's taken over by Rothenthal. When I brought it in last month for tire replacement and safety inspection, the service manager, Jay Wasserman, claimed that my rear brake shoes were about too thin to pass the inspection and asked for $500 to replace them. I refused and took the car to my trusted shop, Merrifield Auto, a bit far for me. Merrifield Auto was about to replace the shoes but was stunt that Rothenthal lied so shamelessly: they showed me that the shoes were like new. I was about to complaint to the Better Business Bureau. But since I did not let them succeed in cheating me, I'd have no claim as far as BBB is concerned.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 PM

31 posts, read 147,434 times
Not sure if it was the Shell others are referring to but I used to go to "West Springfield Auto" on Rolling Rd & Old Keene Mill and they were fantastic!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia