Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 07:15 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,918,965 times

Advertisements

There are palm trees in Dublin, Ireland. All it takes is a reasonably temperate climate where it doesn't freeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:44 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,669,699 times
I don't know if the whole "global warming" thing is legit or not...nor do I want to open that politically charged can of worms.....BUT it sure seems like it used to snow a lot more around here.

I will never forget the Blizzard of '66 ('58 and '79 were beauts too)! It was a true blizzard with gale force winds and 2+ feet of snow. Drifts made houses disappear! Schools were closed for a week and a half and the snow took a month to completely melt.

About today's weather related school closings....I can't think of a more thankless job than having to that make that call! If they open schools and a kid gets hurt....bring on the lawyers. If they close and nothing much happens....Oh, the outcry! They can't win.

And they are a bit gunshy here in Fairfax County due to an incident that occurred about 5 years ago. It was raining one morning and the temperature was hovering at just above freezing. They decided to open schools at the normal time. Suddenly the temp dropped below freezing....and we wrecked 40 buses in about 30 minutes! Nobody will forget that morning for a good long while!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:26 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
When it snows around here peole are so amazed they go around hooting and hollering - you would think a miracle occured.

Now - just funnin wit ya

Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,611,712 times
The DC area gets a few decent accumulating snows every winter but it definitely doesn't stick around for long. I don't really dread the actual snow as much as the events that occur when it does snow, namely on the roadways. Snow isn't a foreign concept here, yet everytime the flakes start falling there are fifty billion wrecks, which in turn results in traffic grinding to a virtual halt EVERYWHERE.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:34 AM

449 posts, read 1,393,428 times
Default Just like KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Washington is a humid Sub Tropical climate, and is WARMER than Seattle. In general, some winters there is no snow in DC or VA for that matter. We have had deep snows but the snow is not on the ground for any extended period of time. Usually if theres a light dusting of snow even, everything shuts down.
That is exactly how it is in Kansas City, though I am sure no one would confuse the area as associated as Sub Tropical. Winters there are very mild; you can play golf year-round with the exception of a week or two when it can get into single digits at night. Otherwise, a typical winter day has lows in the 20s and highs in the 40s and 50s. When it snows even a half inch, many businesses shut down as do shcools.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:45 AM

55 posts, read 199,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
I don't know if the whole "global warming" thing is legit or not...nor do I want to open that politically charged can of worms.....BUT it sure seems like it used to snow a lot more around here.

I will never forget the Blizzard of '66 ('58 and '79 were beauts too)! It was a true blizzard with gale force winds and 2+ feet of snow. Drifts made houses disappear! Schools were closed for a week and a half and the snow took a month to completely melt.
I agree with you completely. While we may not have gotten huge amounts of snow at one time, we did get snow and quite often. My childhood memory is of sleigh riding and ice skating all throughout the winters. We almost always had snow on Christmas too.

I remember 66 and the photos in my parents old albums show only the tip of the roof showing of the house! I don't think any old timer will forget the snow/ice storm of Jan. 13, 1982 and the Air Florida Crash. I remember a big storm in January 1986 and then in 1996 when we had back to back snow storms that left the area with 3 feet+ of snow. In 2006 my husband was out of the country and we got 16 inches at our house (I remember well since I was shoveling by myself but then some nice neighbors came to the rescue)!

Agree also that when people hear SNOW in this area, they totally freak out and traffic is just plain murder.

Last edited by NOVA.123; 09-17-2008 at 09:05 AM..

Old 09-17-2008, 08:48 AM

105 posts, read 351,996 times
we maybe get a dusting of snow in mid december(its gone by 11am). January we might get a 3 inch, another 3-4 and maybe a 5 incher. Feb maybe a 4 incher and maybe a ice covering. March very unlikely, but maybe snow fall for no accumulation.

I have lived here 22 years, and never had a snowless winter that i can remember.

Oh expect 3-4 school days off for snow.

Old 09-17-2008, 11:22 AM

395 posts, read 523,230 times
In the immediate DC area you get more snow than the rest of VA (outside the mountains)- but the line changes around Fredericksburg. In Richmond its almost like a different climate.

Old 09-17-2008, 06:56 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,274 times
I guess because of global warming and the urban island heating effect, DC has been bumped up one zone by USDA to USDA zone 8: Hardiness zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The USDA zone map basically is a guide for the types of plants that can grow in an area. Seattle and DC are both in the same zone - USDA zone 8. This basically means that the coldest winter temps range from 20 - 10 degrees F.

I've posted this information before on another thread, and I had a few people jump all over me about how DC winter is a lot harsher than Seattle. For the most part, Seattle is a little milder for low temps during the winter compared to DC, but it's pretty depressing gray most of the winter in Seattle.

As far as palm trees are concerned, I've actually seen palm trees in a few neighborhoods in DC and Nova. The palm that people in DC have been experimenting with and are having good success is the Chinese Windmill Palm, also know as trachycarpus fortune. Like this in SE DC: http://img2.putfile.com/main/12/33720571668.jpg

I also have a buddy in Nova who's had Windmill Palms in his back yard for the last 9 years. It's about 10 feet now. I've even seen a 20 footer in Sterling, in Nova. But of course palms isn't something that you will likely see. Unless you like palms, you could plant windmill palms with no winter protection in DC and be successful.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:13 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA.123 View Post
I agree with you completely. While we may not have gotten huge amounts of snow at one time, we did get snow and quite often. My childhood memory is of sleigh riding and ice skating all throughout the winters. We almost always had snow on Christmas too.

I remember 66 and the photos in my parents old albums show only the tip of the roof showing of the house! I don't think any old timer will forget the snow/ice storm of Jan. 13, 1982 and the Air Florida Crash. I remember a big storm in January 1986 and then in 1996 when we had back to back snow storms that left the area with 3 feet+ of snow. In 2006 my husband was out of the country and we got 16 inches at our house (I remember well since I was shoveling by myself but then some nice neighbors came to the rescue)!

Agree also that when people hear SNOW in this area, they totally freak out and traffic is just plain murder.

1996 was great! Loved that one! I believe it came right after the New Year, didn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia