Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:31 PM

395 posts, read 524,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
Okay everyone - I know DC is in zone 0 and Richmond is in zone 11. I know it's colder in DC during the winter than it is in Antarctica, and Richmond has similar weather to South Florida.

But according to this revised map DC and a small part of Nova is listed in zone 8 and Richmond, VA is listed in zone 7. I think this map is based on the last 15 years of recorded low temps. You can use the zoom tool in Adobe Acrobat to zoom in on area to see full details.

These people should be ashamed of themselves for putting DC in zone 8 and Richmond in zone 7. This is crazy because Richmond VA is tropical paradise with palm trees all over the place.

Here is the link to the map on the American Horticultrual Society:
http://www.ahs.org/pdfs/USDA_Map_3.03.pdf

Use the zoom tool to see details.
Here's another map I found. Richmond and DC are basically in the same zone- Zone 7

Extreme Southeast VA reaches Zone 8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 07:52 PM

367 posts, read 1,286,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueva View Post
Here's another map I found. Richmond and DC are basically in the same zone- Zone 7

Extreme Southeast VA reaches Zone 8
Correct. But the map you posted is the old map. What I posted is the new and revised map: http://www.ahs.org/pdfs/USDA_Map_3.03.pdf

But it doesn't matter because it's wrong. It's another one of those government conspiracies.

I realize Richmond has palm tree lined streets similar to LA and Miami and DC is buried in 10 feet of snow.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 PM

395 posts, read 524,247 times
Quote:
Correct. But the map you posted is the old map. What I posted is the new and revised map: http://www.ahs.org/pdfs/USDA_Map_3.03.pdf

But it doesn't matter because it's wrong. It's another one of those government conspiracies.

I realize Richmond has palm tree lined streets similar to LA and Miami and DC is buried in 10 feet of snow.
Then I politely concede. However, I will note that Im just saying that the climate between DC and Richmond is more similar than different. I will say that being further South (even if only 100 miles )- it stays a bit warmer longer in Richmond than it does DC. So the average climate in Richmond is a tad warmer. Even if DC is hotter on any given day than Richmond. Both DC and Richmond fall within the "Humid Suptropical" Region.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:56 AM

40 posts, read 208,627 times
----------------snip -----------------------------------------Furthermore, why does richmond have less snow perciptiation per year?

----------------------snip-------------------------------------------

I am not weighing in on the Richmond versus DC but sometimes colder areas get less snow. An example, interior South Jersey is far colder than DCA or Dulles in the winter but averages significantly less snow (12 inches annually at Millville Airport). Why? Major snow storms generally come on east winds. Proximity to the Atlantic Ocean frequently warms it up just enough so that rain falls instead. Locales farther west get snow. It is a colder climate up there but it is a bit warmer when the storms come and it makes a difference.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:03 AM

105 posts, read 352,241 times
Quote:
I was talking about low temps and NOT average temps or high temps. That's what the USDA zone maps refer to. So yes, DC low temps are not as cold as Richmond for the most part. Yes, Richmond may have a higher maximum temp, but it gets colder for low temps in Richmond that DC.

Pull any data you can and you will see that for the most part DC low temps are not as cold as Richmond. AGAIN, I"M TALKING LOW TEMPS and not HIGH temps.
Ok, your talking about low temps, how come you didnt say anything about DC's record lows being much lower than Richmond? Why would that be, it doesnt make any sense because Richmond is less mild than DC right?

And Richmond averaging 3 degrees warmer would mean that Richmonds growing degree days would be more right? Now your going to tell me that DC has more growing days than a city 100 miles south????

This is folly arguing with something so blatantly obvious.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notinnj View Post
----------------snip -----------------------------------------Furthermore, why does richmond have less snow perciptiation per year?

----------------------snip-------------------------------------------

I am not weighing in on the Richmond versus DC but sometimes colder areas get less snow. An example, interior South Jersey is far colder than DCA or Dulles in the winter but averages significantly less snow (12 inches annually at Millville Airport). Why? Major snow storms generally come on east winds. Proximity to the Atlantic Ocean frequently warms it up just enough so that rain falls instead. Locales farther west get snow. It is a colder climate up there but it is a bit warmer when the storms come and it makes a difference.
Yes i understand what you are trying to say, maybe I should have elaborated more on that example. A big weatherfront will hit Richmond and DC, in Richmond it stays rain and in DC it will get snow. Thats what I meant.

And to put this to rest Richmond has more growing degree days than DC. That cannont be argued! Its done DC is not milder than Richmond.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
Ok, your talking about low temps, how come you didnt say anything about DC's record lows being much lower than Richmond? Why would that be, it doesnt make any sense because Richmond is less mild than DC right?

And Richmond averaging 3 degrees warmer would mean that Richmonds growing degree days would be more right? Now your going to tell me that DC has more growing days than a city 100 miles south????

This is folly arguing with something so blatantly obvious.
You're wrong. Richmond has the same weather as Miami. Didn't I say that Richmond had palm tree lined streets all over the place? And DC has tundra lined streets. Haaahaaahaah

And the government is smoking crack because they list DC one zone warmer than Richmond. Haaahaaaha. What a world we live in.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
You're wrong. Richmond has the same weather as Miami. Didn't I say that Richmond had palm tree lined streets all over the place? And DC has tundra lined streets. Haaahaaahaah

And the government is smoking crack because they list DC one zone warmer than Richmond. Haaahaaaha. What a world we live in.
Miami, man I love that place.

Old 09-25-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
Yes i understand what you are trying to say, maybe I should have elaborated more on that example. A big weatherfront will hit Richmond and DC, in Richmond it stays rain and in DC it will get snow. Thats what I meant.

And to put this to rest Richmond has more growing degree days than DC. That cannont be argued! Its done DC is not milder than Richmond.
Oh, I must have been smoking crack earlier this year too because when I was in Richmond in early spring the trees weren't budding much, but while in DC proper the trees were blooming. Haaaahaaaahaa!! That must have been some good crack!

Old 09-25-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Oh, I must have been smoking crack earlier this year too because when I was in Richmond in early spring the trees weren't budding much, but while in DC proper the trees were blooming. Haaaahaaaahaa!! That must have been some good crack!
M-I-A-M-I, party in the city where the heat is on..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia