Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 05:00 PM

395 posts, read 526,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalyzeThis View Post
I am really excited now. My fiance and I love the mountains so hiking during that time sounds beautiful. I think the parades/light shows and concerts is something we can all do and enjoy. I am a little less nervous than I was before with all the entertainment options available for me to take them to. I think it will be nice to have the focus on something else besides my already nervous fiance..lol
I feel sorry for you. I would have stayed in Hampton Roads. NOVA is the pits.
But have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 06:55 PM

15,181 posts, read 27,953,966 times
Old Town Alexandria also has a Christmas Parade of Boats light show and a lighting of the tree, it's really nice - check out all the displays, the lights are lit in the trees. Pick a nice evening to go walking and it's beautiful. As someone posted, check out the Weekender section of The Post.

Not sure where you live but you can sign up and get a weekly email from City of Alex. on the events.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:45 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,372,726 times
Not sure where you are in NoVa, but the Harris Pavilion in the center of Manassas has skating. Grab a bite afterwards.

http://www.harrispavilion.com/ice_skate.php

Last edited by tgbwc; 09-20-2008 at 08:46 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 09-21-2008, 08:01 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,700,169 times
Ford's Theater usually has "A Christmas Carol" (although I think it may be under renovation -- does anyone know?). The Kennedy Center has different Christmas performances. A lot of theaters have ballet performances of "The Nutcracker." (All of which can get expensive of course especially for four people!)

Old 09-21-2008, 08:42 AM

55 posts, read 200,317 times
Welcome to Virginia! You have already gotten some great ideas. Yes, places like Tysons Galleria really do it up with decorating the mall for Christmas - fun to go just look. The tree in DC is really pretty.

This drive through light show is pretty good. Welcome to Bull Run Festival of Lights

The Washington Post will list all kinds of upcoming events as well as local, smaller papers. Check on line.

Old 09-21-2008, 03:22 PM

367 posts, read 1,288,368 times
As already mentioned, the city guide on the post will have good info: washingtonpost.com - City Guide for D.C., Maryland and Virginia

Old 09-21-2008, 04:42 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,372,003 times
A few yrs. ago I spent Xmas eve in NoVA. I loved every minute of it. I am somewhat agoraphobic and really can't stand the congestion of the DC area (now I live out in the AZ desert and find it paradise). But Xmas eve was awesome. It was a ghost town. The Gold's Gym I used to go to in Merrifield, but quit because it got too crowded, was deserted. I parked right up front, didn't have to wait to get on any machines, loved it. My wife and I went to eat at one of our favorite Chinese restaurants, which are always open on Xmas. The next morning we drove to NJ and we got there in a little over two hours. The roads were totally empty. I was doing over 100 mph on I-95 for 15 min. at a time. Gawd, I loved it. The east coast would be paradise with about 90% fewer people. BTW, if you want to experience hell on Earth, go shopping at Tyson's or Fair Lakes the weekend before Xmas. I consider it a huge success when I can do all my Xmas shopping online and don't have to step foot in a retail store for anything other than cooking supplies and groceries (and booze).

Old 09-21-2008, 06:45 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,020,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
BTW, if you want to experience hell on Earth, go shopping at Tyson's or Fair Lakes the weekend before Xmas.
LOL, very true! If you want the fun of Christmas at a mall, skip Fair Lakes Mall, that's for sure. And unless I need something at Crate & Barrel I avoid Tyson's too. Instead, go to Dulles Town Center. They have the same basic stores, a nice Santa's Village, plenty of parking... and no crowds.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:21 PM

55 posts, read 200,317 times
I will not deny for one second that the malls at Christmas time are pure murder and I do try to avoid them. BUT, if I have all my Christmas shopping done ahead of time and just want to "stroll" through the mall to look at the decorations, etc. during the day - I'll do it. I take my Mom every year to both Tysons and Fair Oaks just for that reason. We don't buy, we just look and observe. We are not in a rush or hurry to buy, buy, buy. We've already bought and it does make a "bit" of a difference.

If you live in NOVA there is really no way of getting around traffic and there is no way of getting around the Christmas mad house rush.

Old 09-21-2008, 07:26 PM

15,402 posts, read 29,020,782 times
Another tip for shopping on the days after Christmas. Head out to Leesburg Outlet Mall, where there are almost always a few stores that close each winter. They stay open until January 1--which means they have incredible sales during the week after Christmas.

These are already outlet stores, so when you add on discount from a store closing you can get real bargains. Last year Mikasa closed their store and we got an outrageous deal on stemware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia