Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 09:44 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,944,197 times

Advertisements

Actually, the best southern restaurant I ever went to was in Cleveland, Ohio. I knew people there who said "y'all." When we moved in, the neighbors brought over a casserole. I knew quite a few people who had pick up trucks. And I can recall seeing people with a confederate flag in their window. Do those things make a town "southern"? If so, you can add Cleveland, OH and Warrenton, VA to the list--but that's about as "southern" as Warrenton gets.

Whether or not you think Warrenton and Cleveland are "southern" is up to your own interpretation. No offense intended to those who like to label places as being "southern" or "northern", but personally, I think of both places as being "American."

Last edited by normie; 09-25-2008 at 09:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 10:32 AM

105 posts, read 352,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Actually, the best southern restaurant I ever went to was in Cleveland, Ohio. I knew people there who said "y'all." When we moved in, the neighbors brought over a casserole. I knew quite a few people who had pick up trucks. And I can recall seeing people with a confederate flag in their window. Do those things make a town "southern"? If so, you can add Cleveland, OH and Warrenton, VA to the list--but that's about as "southern" as Warrenton gets.

Whether or not you think Warrenton and Cleveland are "southern" is up to your own interpretation. No offense intended to those who like to label places as being "southern" or "northern", but personally, I think of both places as being "American."
Yeah I am sure that they say that in Ohio. I am sure that the majority of people in Cleveland are like that AND I am sure they say soda and not "pop".

Best southern restaurant you have been to is in Ohio?? Wow, I find it hard to believe but thats your experience, cheers.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockdale.35 View Post
Yeah I am sure that they say that in Ohio. I am sure that the majority of people in Cleveland are like that AND I am sure they say soda and not "pop".

Best southern restaurant you have been to is in Ohio?? Wow, I find it hard to believe but thats your experience, cheers.
If you're ever up in Cleveland, check out Fat Fish Blue. Peach cobbler to die for! Also, there was a place with a name like Everything and Then Some that had good southern food.

I never said the majority of people in Cleveland act "southern" (or "northern"). Just like the majority of people in Warrenton don't act "southern" or "northern", either. But you'll find plenty of individuals in both towns that do. That was my point, interpret as you wish.

As far as soft drinks go.... you reminded me of something funny I used to notice up there. The people I knew in Cleveland didn't say soda or pop. The people I knew tended to call everything a "coke."

As in: "What sort of coke do you want?"
"Oh, I don't know--a 7-UP I guess."

But I'm sure there were plenty of people up there who called it soda. And plenty who called it pop.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:31 AM

But you'll find plenty of individuals in both towns that do. That was my point, interpret as you wish.

The people I knew in Cleveland didn't say soda or pop. The people I knew tended to call everything a "coke."

As in: "What sort of coke do you want?"
"Oh, I don't know--a 7-UP I guess."

Now I know something is not adding up. Ohioans PRIDE themselves on calling soda "POP", when I went there for coll. they could'nt stand me saying soda and these guys were from Cuyahoga, Dayton, Cincinnati. EVEN the restaurants had soda labled "Pop".

C'mon what are trying to pull?

Old 09-25-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Now I know something is not adding up. Ohioans PRIDE themselves on calling soda "POP", when I went there for coll. they could'nt stand me saying soda and these guys were from Cuyahoga, Dayton, Cincinnati. EVEN the restaurants had soda labled "Pop".

C'mon what are trying to pull?
Clearly, I must have a vested interest in this. Haven't you heard the Anti-Pop League pays $2 every time you say something about Ohioans not using the word "pop."

Or, it could just be that you can't label Ohioans any more than you can label people who live in Northern Virginia.

Old 09-25-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Clearly, I must have a vested interest in this. Haven't you heard the Anti-Pop League pays $2 every time you say something about Ohioans not using the word "pop."

Or, it could just be that you can't label Ohioans any more than you can label people who live in Northern Virginia.
Im confused, I thought I said Ohioans DO say "pop".
Usually there is a reason why things/people/places get labled. Dont kid yourself if you think that nothing can be labled. I would bet you $2 for every person I came across in Ohio that says "pop" and I will give you $5 everytime they call it soda. Wanna bet???

Old 09-25-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Im confused, I thought I said Ohioans DO say "pop".
Usually there is a reason why things/people/places get labled. Dont kid yourself if you think that nothing can be labled. I would bet you $2 for every person I came across in Ohio that says "pop" and I will give you $5 everytime they call it soda. Wanna bet???
LOL, let me get this straight: You're confused, and that's why you like to go around labelling people. OK, that explains a few things....

What a silly bet. You will give me $5 every time someone in Ohio uses the word soda? I just told you everybody I met there called it "coke." You are confused.

Old 09-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
You're confused, and that's why you like to go around labelling people.
Wow brilliant logic sally!!

The bet was that you would'nt put your money where your mouth is. But thats the beauty of blogging, everybody can say whatever they want about anything. I just dont believe a word you say.

around and around we go....

Last edited by stockdale.35; 09-25-2008 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-25-2008, 03:10 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,317,133 times
??? I am from NE Ohio. All of my family is from that area, Cleveland, Akron... Everyone says pop. Nobody ever used Coke in a generic way.

Old 09-25-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
??? I am from NE Ohio. All of my family is from that area, Cleveland, Akron... Everyone says pop. Nobody ever used Coke in a generic way.
Must just be the people I met. Which only goes to show that different people have different experiences. Thus, you can't say all the people in Ohio (or Virginia) act a certain way because the small group of people you know acted that way.

Which brings us back to the topic--are certain towns in NOVA "southern." IMO, it's wrong to label towns this way because you're making assumptions based on a small group of people that don't represent all the people who live there. NOVA is incredibly diverse, and so is the population of all the towns these days.

By the way, the people I met lived in Cleveland Hts. and Shaker Hts. and were mostly staff members or professors at Case. Most of them had lived in the area their whole lives, FWIW. Why were the people I met calling all soft drinks coke? Beats me. Maybe it was an in joke, maybe it was trendy that particular year, maybe it's the cool thing to say in Cleveland--who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia