Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2008, 03:54 PM

948 posts, read 3,356,950 times

Advertisements

The United States of Mind
Researchers Identify Regional Personality Traits Across AmericaBy STEPHANIE SIMONArticle
Interactive Graphics
Comments
more in Health »Certain regional stereotypes have long since become cliches: The stressed-out New Yorker. The laid-back Californian.

But the conscientious Floridian? The neurotic Kentuckian?

You bet -- at least, according to new research on the geography of personality. Based on more than 600,000 questionnaires and published in the journal Perspectives on Psychological Science, the study maps regional clusters of personality traits, then overlays state-by-state data on crime, health and economic development in search of correlations.

Last edited by FindingZen; 09-25-2008 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:27 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Thanks for sharing the article... but I'm having a difficult time figuring out where Northern Virginia is factored in here.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:45 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,970 times
My best guess from experience would be that NoVA would be north eastern. At least, last time I was there, that confrontational, "Yo I'm Joey Bagadonuts, I'll kick yer butt" attitude seemed to be in evidence.

So despite it having a southern heritage, I'm guessing the business presence in the area has brought the urban NY, NJ, PA attitudes in.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:41 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,951,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post
My best guess from experience would be that NoVA would be north eastern. At least, last time I was there, that confrontational, "Yo I'm Joey Bagadonuts, I'll kick yer butt" attitude seemed to be in evidence.
Nothing personal, but it isn't helpful to post "best guesses." This forum isn't a toy--people use it because they need to find out about an area before moving here. Choosing a new job and moving is stressful enough, let's not make it harder by "guessing" what an area is like. You visited the area in 1999 and had a confrontation--I'm sorry that happened to you, but it doesn't make you an expert on what it is like to live in NOVA today.

For one thing, NOVA is not a clone of NYC. These days the people moving here are more likely to be from California, the midwest, and other countries. The western parts of Fairfax and the Eastern parts of Loudoun are especially attractive to Californians. There are some New Yorkers here, too. But, if you're guessing NOVA is going to be just like the Bronx --hey, Fuhgettabout it!

NOVA is extremely diverse and has 100 different personalities. You will meet all kinds of people here. I'm out in the suburbs where life is relatively laid back. People here are into hiking, kayaking, and sipping Starbucks while watching the kids at soccer practice. The people I know do not have a "confrontational, "Yo I'm Joey Bagadonuts, I'll kick yer butt" attitude." Although you can probably find people like that living here, especially if you go around being confrontational.

We also do not go foxhunting, despite the "guesses" of other people who don't live here but who like to post their "Gone With The Wind" fantasies. And just in case someone has some silly "political" assumptions, no your neighbors are not going to be senators or congressmen. They live in DC, which is not the same thing as NOVA.

Last edited by normie; 09-26-2008 at 07:58 AM..

Old 09-27-2008, 10:36 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,138,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMadison View Post

So despite it having a southern heritage, I'm guessing the business presence in the area has brought the urban NY, NJ, PA attitudes in.
If my experience growing up in the DC area was any indication: you are spot on.

That stated: the psychological demarcation line was basically where I-95 crossed the Beltway @ Springfield heading down south-----------Woodbirdge on to Fredericksburg at least had much more of an Old School 'California vibe'. Read that much less paranoia, pushiness, etc. Note I left NoVa in 1978 so I am going on at least 30 year old incidents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia