Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 04:04 PM

6 posts, read 21,284 times

Advertisements

Just toured this school and really liked what I saw. Does anyone have any kids at this school or experience with the program? Advice, please!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 04:52 PM

822 posts, read 3,001,836 times
I had a few friends who left our preschool and went there - and they really liked it. I toured it when it was fairly new, but they hadn't yet hired the teacher for the class I needed, and I just felt that that was the most critical thing. But that was spring of '06. So back then about 3 of my friends were very happy there.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:20 AM

822 posts, read 3,001,836 times
PS - I wanted to add that Compass uses a methodology - can't remember the founder's name - but they learn through comprehensive projects rather than on a subject by subject basis. The example they used on my tour was ... they had a hamster as a class pet and they would measure and weigh, have a vet come in and give a talk, read up about habitats, care, physiology, etc. This might be a large focus for a month (not necessarily the only focus by any means). I thought this was a very wonderful way to learn.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:39 AM

34 posts, read 136,045 times
I know somebody who wasn't that happy with it. The teacher turn-around was high and she didn't feel her daughter learned as much. Long-term projects are great, but they also need to learn in a way that prepares them for the school they are going to after. The pricing is also very high at the Compass school compared with other preschools.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 4,916 times
Default The Compass School

I have had my youngest son there for two years. I am a school teacher with Prince William County and I would say both professionally and personally that it is a very good school. I also know they have a large group of us school teacher parents and I feel like we make pretty informed decisions. Unless you find something else you like I would say "give them a chance!" We have been happy with them. I will also tell you that my oldest child went to a less expensive school in the area and my experience has been you get what pay for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: