Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:03 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,962,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU View Post
Definitely. Also the facts that you are no longer paying:
-Contributions to the TSP/401k
-Social Security
-Medicare
-Money towards your basic retirement annuity

And also factor
-lower federal (and state if applicable) taxes based on your new income

So after all that, your "50%" retirement is now more like 80% anyway.
I receive Social Security benefits because of my age (69). From that income the following deductions: $96.50 for Medicare (it is not free despite everyone's assumptions), $40.80 additional for prescription drug coverage, $160 for supplemental benefits which supplements the Medicare allowed amount. The services that Medicare does not approve, the supplemental insurance will not cover either. I have to pay the full charge myself. Also, many doctors do not accept Medicare patients.

As I still work, I still have to pay taxes on my work income. Self employed tax starts at 15% as I do not have an employer to pay their half of the FICA. I also still pay federal and state income taxes. I am not complaining, I am glad I am able to still work, but making assumptions about how good you are going to live on Social Security income can bite you in the ***.

You need to plan ahead for how you will manage, don't assume you will live well on only Social Security income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 07:38 AM

361 posts, read 737,210 times
My kids are here so here I will stay.
Live modestly, work as long as I am able.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:37 PM

55 posts, read 143,915 times
Northern Thailand

Sorry, seems that I have been asleep for about 6 years....... getting better though.... last time it was 20

Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,429,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzolafacce View Post
Northern Thailand

Sorry, seems that I have been asleep for about 6 years....... getting better though.... last time it was 20
Wow, if a thread is going to be resurrected its nice it was by the OP. So, it sounds like you decided to stay there for retirement? There's a lot of threads about where to retire, here, over seas, etc. on the retirement forum. Surprised when I saw this here, before I realized it was an 8 year old one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia