Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2008, 05:36 PM

24 posts, read 97,321 times

Advertisements

Could anyone tell me a bit more about Woodlawn Village off of Fort Belvoir? Ive only seen it mentioned on here once and it was not highly recommended. Any idea why? Any idea what sort of rent is cared for federal employees there?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM

24 posts, read 97,321 times
I did some research, came to disappointing conclusions and will answer my own questions in case anyone searches and digs up this thread later.

Woodlawn Village is the only section of "on-base housing" at Fort Belvoir rented by Pinnacle, the private company that administers base housing, that is available for rent by Federal employees. It's "on-base housing" in quotes because Woodlawn Village is not actually *on* the installation, but located off-base in a non-secured area. Although Woodlawn Village has 2 and 4 bedroom units, only 2 bd/1 ba units are available for federal employees. There is immediate availability (i.e., no waiting list). Current rent for a 2-bedroom unit (of about 1600+ sq ft., IIRC) at this time is $2287/mo. which includes utilities.

In comparison, Fort Meade offers larger (by square footage) 3-bd/2-ba units that are actually located on-base, for about $1900 according to stats I received a couple of months ago, but there is a waiting list.

Hope that helps someone out there.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:25 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somnambulist View Post
I did some research, came to disappointing conclusions and will answer my own questions in case anyone searches and digs up this thread later.

Woodlawn Village is the only section of "on-base housing" at Fort Belvoir rented by Pinnacle, the private company that administers base housing, that is available for rent by Federal employees. It's "on-base housing" in quotes because Woodlawn Village is not actually *on* the installation, but located off-base in a non-secured area. Although Woodlawn Village has 2 and 4 bedroom units, only 2 bd/1 ba units are available for federal employees. There is immediate availability (i.e., no waiting list). Current rent for a 2-bedroom unit (of about 1600+ sq ft., IIRC) at this time is $2287/mo. which includes utilities.

In comparison, Fort Meade offers larger (by square footage) 3-bd/2-ba units that are actually located on-base, for about $1900 according to stats I received a couple of months ago, but there is a waiting list.

Hope that helps someone out there.
I work down from that area on the same street. I do not think it is a good area. That price is robbery when you take public schools, safety, location, etc. into account.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:00 PM

12 posts, read 51,335 times
Thanks for posting this information. I just found out about these apartments and was thinking of applying for jobs at Fort Belvoir (we are being BRAC'ed to APG). I guess they are having a hard time attracting folks cause when I called on yesterday, I was told that both the 2 BRs and 4 BRs are available for DoD Civilian and Military Retirees. The rental rate for 2 BRs are $1550 and 4BRs are $1950. I guess they reduced the rate but stopped paying utilities. I was going to plan a trip to the area to learn more about the housing. I am totally disappointed to hear that the area is not "safe". I guess I will have to look elsewhere when I finally secure a position. I much prefer Fort Belvoir over APG.

ArmyWife, MBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I work down from that area on the same street. I do not think it is a good area. That price is robbery when you take public schools, safety, location, etc. into account.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:23 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,753,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWifeMBA View Post
Thanks for posting this information. I just found out about these apartments and was thinking of applying for jobs at Fort Belvoir (we are being BRAC'ed to APG). I guess they are having a hard time attracting folks cause when I called on yesterday, I was told that both the 2 BRs and 4 BRs are available for DoD Civilian and Military Retirees. The rental rate for 2 BRs are $1550 and 4BRs are $1950. I guess they reduced the rate but stopped paying utilities. I was going to plan a trip to the area to learn more about the housing. I am totally disappointed to hear that the area is not "safe". I guess I will have to look elsewhere when I finally secure a position. I much prefer Fort Belvoir over APG.

ArmyWife, MBA
I had the opportunity to go inside a 4-bed unit in Woodlawn Village while doing some repair for a co-worker. It was very small and didnt look very new at all. Inside the gate there is no crime concerns but outside the gate that area has a high crime rate when compared to the rest of Northern Virginia. While the area aint Compton or Southeast Washington DC for $1500 for a 2 bed you can get into better areas. The middle and high schools are among the lowest-scoring in Fairfax County. Not that all this couldn't work for some situations but i think there are better places for the money. Actually my mother was interested in the new housing on Ft. Belvoir itself but sadly they were too expensive ($2000 for a 2 bed last i heard) and likely would have taken a couple of years to get inside.

If you still want to work at Belvoir you can find a lot of good places for $1500. Try looking into zip codes 22310, 22315, 22302, 22304, 22151, 22152, 22153. These areas are safe and wont give you more than a 30 minute commute to Fort Belvoir while being able to stay under $1500.

We are also being BRAC'd. We are going to Ft. Knox, Kentucky. We're excited to go. I understand trying to find an alternate job from BRAC. A family friend just got hired out to the private sector so he wouldn't be BRAC'd to Huntsville, AL. So keep the job search going and hope everything works out.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:28 PM

17 posts, read 65,748 times
I have a friend who lives in Woodlawn and she can't wait to get out! The military said they had nice housing available, but when she arrived, they put her in a two bedroom. I would STAY AWAY! She said there are kids in the street and there is crime even inside the ID check point. Live in 22153, 22152 and you will be better off. I live in 22153 and it take my husband 15 mins to get to Belvoir and he is never in traffic. We pay $1800 for a three bedroom end unit townhouse that backs to the woods and is updated.

Hopefully that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia