Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 26,920 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating from London to Arlington next spring and thought that it would be relatively easy to pick 1-2 neighborhoods to find a home in given the size of Arlington, but I am finding that not to be the case. Wikipedia lists about 30-40 neighborhoods in Arlington!

I am looking for what most people are looking for (very good schools for elem school age kids, somewhat walkable, safe, yada yada...). I would be looking to buy a 3-4 bedroom home in the $900k-1m range. While I would like a decent size lot, that doesn't look likely in Arlington. I would also consider Falls Church if that provides slightly more house/lot for the money. The only neighborhood I have on my list so far is Lyon Park, but that's only because a friend of a friend of a friend said it was nice.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Also, any good sources for reading up on specific NOVA neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 05:54 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
The easiest way to find what most people consider the "best" neighborhoods is by price, since the market does a pretty good job of sorting out the most desirable spots. Given your price range and what you're looking for, you should focus on neighborhoods in North, rather than South, Arlington. If you want to be able to walk to a Metro station, that will limit your options; otherwise, you can start with neighborhoods served by Jamestown, Nottingham, Tuckahoe, and Taylor Elementary schools. That would be zip codes 22205, 22207, 22213. Some neighborhood names are Tara, Crescent Hills, Country Club Hills, Bellevue Forest, and Rock Springs. Some of these neighborhoods will have homes that are beyond your price range. The homes near the McLean border will be larger, and have larger lots, than those close to Lee Highway. However, these homes will not really be "walkable" to anything but schools and playgrounds. If you want to walk to shops, the library, etc. then check out the Westover neighborhood or the neighborhoods near the intersection of Harrison Street and Lee Highway.
The Broadmont neighborhood in the City of Falls Church will also meet your needs.
Get an ADC map of Northern Virginia -- it will help tremendously in figuring out where everything is and narrowing your choices.
But coming from overseas, your best bet is to find a reputable realtor to help you.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:14 AM

822 posts, read 3,002,937 times
claremarie has the good info. I had a relative who lived in North Arlington (zip 22207) in the 80s/90s. It's a peaceful area of of 1940s colonials - high quality neighbors. Their house is now getting a "zillow" estimate of $933K and they're calling the neighborhood "Olde Glebe" but I think it's near Country Club Hills. The house is not for sale or anything, but I'd always send people to that neighborhood

Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 AM

286 posts, read 1,232,037 times
Give a look to the Aurora Hills and Arlington Heights neighborhoods in Arlington. They are both wonderful neighborhoods and are tucked away between Pentagon City and Crystal City. Very accessible to the metro, dining, shopping, libraries, etc.

Plus, they are both very safe and you would def. find a house in your price range. Many senators, congressmen/women live in these neighborhoods during the time of year that they reside in DC. Plus, you're only about a 10 minute drive from the Reagan National Airport.

Aurora Hills and Arlington Heights border each other and are in the 22202 zip code, running through 23rd Street S. in Arlington VA. Do a google search for both neighborhoods, there's lots out there!

Frankly Realty (if this is not allowed to be posted, pls. take it off) is used by alot of homeowners in our neighborhood (living in Aurora Hills). Their website is: Northern Virginia Homes For Sale *FranklyRealty.com* Va Real Estate in Virginia MLS.Arlington Condos

Good luck!

Old 11-06-2008, 09:50 AM

286 posts, read 1,232,037 times
I apologize, it's not Arlington Heights, but the Arlington Ridge neighborhood.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:47 PM

518 posts, read 1,450,914 times
You mentioned Lyon Park, which is an old established neighborhood with a variety of housing styles from larger older homes (colonials, bungalows) to newer ones that are rapidly replacing the few aging, smaller ones. Nearby Ashton Heights, south of the Virginia Square Metro station is slightly more "upscale" and parts of Lyon Village, just north of the Clarendon Metro has the largest homes of the three neighborhoods. Lyon Village resembles older parts of DC like AU Park and Chevy Chase (DC side), but without the alleys.

These three neighborhoods are among the county's oldest.

The local elementary schools are Long Branch and Taylor, which are among the best in the county. Depending on where you live students also have the option of attending Jamestown, Science Focus or Key (Spanish immersion).

The commercial streets around the nearby metro stations are rapidly urbanizing (I personally think there are too many bars; the retail is not diversified enough) but for now the single family residential neighborhoods are still suburban, family oriented, and very much in demand. And groceries, playgrounds, some schools are all within walking distance.

The neighborhoods Clairemarie mentioned are also very nice. North Arlington also has an abundance of mature trees and parks.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 AM

7 posts, read 39,624 times
Also, look at Cherrydale, Lee Heights and Donaldson Run. You can walk to shops and restaurants (although the metro is farther) but also hike to the Potomac and in the woods...

Old 12-02-2008, 10:24 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Looking at the boundary map for Arlington County schools, I saw that there is a Yorktown "attendance island" within what otherwise is the W-L attendance zone.

Can anyone explain the origin of this island? Is it a source of ill-feeling in the Arlington neighborhoods? In general, the boundaries for the Arlington schools seem a good bit more rational than the school boundaries for Fairfax, so I was a bit surprised to come across this.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:08 PM

29 posts, read 126,368 times
Lyon Park is THE BEST, best schools, definitely best homes, better community

Old 02-02-2015, 03:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theamericanguy View Post
Lyon Park is THE BEST, best schools, definitely best homes, better community
Lyon Park is nice, but not the best. The schools are very good, but no better. The homes and communities are nicer than some neighborhoods but not the nicest, the second or the third. Maybe fourth?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia