Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 12:14 PM

64 posts, read 311,158 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone and thanks for stopping by. I`m soon going to start applying for a bank teller’s job. Now I`m trying to put my resume together. I moved to NoVA not too long ago and discovered that this place is much more political than any other place I lived at (of cause). Well, here is the deal. I have worked in the restaurant business for a few years in the few different places away from here. If I put it all on my resume it looks like a good customer service experience which is a good start for a banking industry. But in one place, in which I worked for nearly a year, manager messed up my SSN when I first started. I have only discovered it when the business was sold and I had to fill all the forms again with the new owner. That was two month before I quit. Also, because the place was small previous owner didn`t bother to pay us with paychecks. He was paying cash per shift, so I don`t have any paystubs to prove that I was working there. The question is will this job show up on my background check if my prospective employer will do one??? I`m afraid that if they will see differences between my resume and background check results then they will think I`m lying and disqualify me. I was also thinking of removing it from my resume and tell the interviewer that I have more experience then listed, why I didn`t list it and also list the previous owner as a reference.

Plese, I really need an advice. Maybe I`m overthinking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 05:36 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,758 times
You don't have to put everything on your resume, only relevant information. Just be honest and you will have no problem.

Most background checks focus on credit report and criminal record.

It's a teller job so they aren't looking for THAT much experience, no offense.

I worked at a lot of restaurants when I was in high school and college. Some I just worked maybe a day or so before I quit. Never put them on my resume or anything.

Put stuff on your resume that YOU want to put on there. Just be honest and don't lie. If you worked there April 2006 - July 2008, just say it.

If there is a discrepancy about the SSN and your record of being there, just put your manager or boss down as a reference and they can clarify it.
However, If you quit the job it's hard to do that.

Old 12-11-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks a lot! I agree that I probably don`t need much experience for it. I don`t have a problem putting owner as a reference because I quit due to a move, no hard feelings.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:38 PM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,088 times
As an HR person I recommend you be careful. On your resume yes, put what is relevant, but then you might be asked to fill out an application, where you will list salary etc. Depending on the organization and how throughly they check problems can arise.

Example: applicant listed previous salary, didn't include a relocation package of app. $5000. That showed up on tax background check. He listed his salary as less, vs claiming more in order to get more etc. You wouldn't think that was an issue. But it was huge in the eyes of the recruitment staff.

Some companies use centralized, even contracted out recruitment staff. They don't know you from Adam and don't care, even if you are the only person for 100 miles that can do what the company needs.

And as for it being a bank teller, I certainly believe that they would be checked rather carefully, they handle your and the banks money every day.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
As an HR person I recommend you be careful. On your resume yes, put what is relevant, but then you might be asked to fill out an application, where you will list salary etc. Depending on the organization and how throughly they check problems can arise.

Example: applicant listed previous salary, didn't include a relocation package of app. $5000. That showed up on tax background check. He listed his salary as less, vs claiming more in order to get more etc. You wouldn't think that was an issue. But it was huge in the eyes of the recruitment staff.

Some companies use centralized, even contracted out recruitment staff. They don't know you from Adam and don't care, even if you are the only person for 100 miles that can do what the company needs.

And as for it being a bank teller, I certainly believe that they would be checked rather carefully, they handle your and the banks money every day.
Thanks. I know I should be careful thats why I'm asking. I don't want to be punished for somehing what is not my fault.

Also, you say that if not paycheck it will show up on a tax return. So, when I will receive edited W2 from my prior employer and file taxes next year it should show up on a background check with no problem, am I right?

Old 12-15-2008, 07:15 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,726,088 times
It will all depend on how the employer filed it. In the example it was taxable income. The key is to just be as honest as possible. It can take some explaining in the beginning, which is easier than it appearing to cover it up. If your employer didn't take the taxes out that is their problem more than yours. Of course the IRS would see that differently But I doubt another employer is going to delve into that. They are looking for the truth.

That is why after you send in a resume, you are later asked for fill out an application. That is a more "binding" document than a resume. That is what the background check could be done off of. They will most likely do the credit and criminal check which are standard, but they can also call other employers etc. They are looking at timelines, salary history, did you get fired etc, stuff which the other checks don't tell you.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:26 PM

941 posts, read 3,910,325 times
My job is this. What kind of background investigation are they doing on you? Is it a private type background check or are they having you to submit a national check? (OPM, SF86, etc)

Old 12-15-2008, 02:23 PM

931 posts, read 3,802,758 times
I just had a BC done a few weeks ago and I checked off that I would like to receive a copy of the BC when done, I never received it - wtf?

Old 12-16-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsniffer View Post
My job is this. What kind of background investigation are they doing on you? Is it a private type background check or are they having you to submit a national check? (OPM, SF86, etc)
I don`t know. I think it depends on the company. I never had a background check for a job before so I really don`t know whats the difference.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
It will all depend on how the employer filed it. In the example it was taxable income. The key is to just be as honest as possible. It can take some explaining in the beginning, which is easier than it appearing to cover it up. If your employer didn't take the taxes out that is their problem more than yours. Of course the IRS would see that differently But I doubt another employer is going to delve into that. They are looking for the truth.

That is why after you send in a resume, you are later asked for fill out an application. That is a more "binding" document than a resume. That is what the background check could be done off of. They will most likely do the credit and criminal check which are standard, but they can also call other employers etc. They are looking at timelines, salary history, did you get fired etc, stuff which the other checks don't tell you.
Ok, so let me just repeat what I understood. Background checks are done from the application, not resume. If I put this job on my resume I can explain in a process of filing out an application what happened there (thats my guess).
I really appriciate your help. I`m trying to get my first real job so I can get out of the reastaurant business and retail and do what I study for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia