Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:03 PM

247 posts, read 687,793 times

Advertisements

So we had our third child 11 days ago, and it's been 9 years since the last. I put the car seat in and it seems fine, but my wife is adamant that we get it checked out since so many seem to install them improperly. I called the police station here in Reston where I am but they no longer do them. Had an app't at the station in Fairfax, but they called to cancel the day of due to lack of staffing. I've searched online for the other relatively local stations in Fairfax County, but can't seem to get to anyone "live." Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can get this done? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 04:37 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,103,628 times
Call this number: 703.280.0559 for your closest location. You have to make an appointment at a Fairfax County Police District Station: http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/police/contact/

Last edited by mlv311; 12-17-2008 at 04:50 PM..

Old 12-17-2008, 04:40 PM

446 posts, read 1,647,654 times
I will say I've heard this happening much more in Montgomery County, Md. I'd give the police HQ in Rockville a call and see. I know that's over the river, but it's your kid and you want to be sure of course. Also, call Children's Hospital's Fairfax Outpatient Center on Arlington Blvd....maybe they'll have an idea. Fairfax Hospital's Pediatrics department too.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:42 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
It has always been my understanding that you can stop by the local fire station any time and they will check it for you.
I am surprised that the police in Reston won't check it.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It has always been my understanding that you can stop by the local fire station any time and they will check it for you.
I am surprised that the police in Reston won't check it.
That's no longer the case for liability issues. That's what we were told during the open house. People would blame them if something didn't go well with the car seat during an accident.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:40 PM

446 posts, read 1,647,654 times
Wow....what is our world coming to? Quite a shame we would waste valuable court time and resources going after firefighters who risk their lives to save us and leave their families on major holidays for our sakes!!! But yes, mlv311 makes a valid point, even if it is painful to digest.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:49 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
This link is for PWC, but maybe some of the additional links will help.

Child Passenger Safety

Old 12-18-2008, 06:48 AM

247 posts, read 687,793 times
Thanks for the initial comments. I know the fire dep't here won't do it, and even the hospital where the baby was born wouldn't do it for liability issues.

I'll try the ffx county number that mlv311 listed again, although I started with them--twice. They gave me invalid phone numbers the first time, and the second time the number they gave me was the direct line to domestic homicide....so they've frustrated me. But I know it's important and will give it another try.

Thanks again.

Old 12-18-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpascal View Post
I'll try the ffx county number that mlv311 listed again, although I started with them--twice. They gave me invalid phone numbers the first time, and the second time the number they gave me was the direct line to domestic homicide....so they've frustrated me. But I know it's important and will give it another try.

Thanks again.
If you call after hours, you'll get a recording, but they'll ask you to contact the nearest police district station in the link. GL! I've wondered myself where to go when our baby arrives.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:36 AM

147 posts, read 410,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
People would blame them if something didn't go well with the car seat during an accident.
Exactly, because police and firefighters have no extra training in how to install a car seat than any one of us does; people just want to shift responsibility to someone else. Installing a car seat is not a major mechanical operation. Just read the instructions (which are mostly in pictograms these days, so illiteracy is no excuse) and follow them. How freaking hard is that???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia