Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:10 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times

Advertisements

I think this is a revived thread - Skapov (the OP) let us all know that she ended up in Burke, in the Lake Braddock district, and many of us are hoping that she finds the schools and neighborhoods to her liking. In selecting that neighborhood, she chose a diverse, high-performing school district - Lake Braddock's demographics come about as close as any Fairfax high school to reflecting those of the county as a whole. I can understand why she thought this made the most sense for her family.

It's nice to think we're all color-blind, but then again one of the posters on this thread just characterized most of the Black students at Madison (which actually has the second or third lowest percentage of Black students in the entire county) as "trouble-makers." Why should the OP have to send her kids to that (or a similar) school to dispel these stereotypes, when she won't have the same burden if her kids can go to an area school with a larger number of high-achieving minority students who aren't saddled with these labels? I think it's actually more "PC" to think these considerations wouldn't make a difference to a minority parent scouting out the schools...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 02:43 PM

555 posts, read 2,702,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I'm sorry it's not about political correctness maybe I just don't like the idea of someone implying that I'm stupid just because my mom didn't breastfeed. I don't think that was the intention of the original person who said it. You on the other hand I'm not so sure about. There's a difference between politically incorrect and rudeness.
Nobody said you were stupid or made the implication. I never said my Mom breast fed me either...

Facts are facts. It's only a couple of points, not the biggest deal in the world. Just because somebody has a high IQ doesn't mean they will succeed in life, or have a good personality. .

Old 07-14-2009, 02:47 PM

555 posts, read 2,702,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I think this is a revived thread - Skapov (the OP) let us all know that she ended up in Burke, in the Lake Braddock district, and many of us are hoping that she finds the schools and neighborhoods to her liking. In selecting that neighborhood, she chose a diverse, high-performing school district - Lake Braddock's demographics come about as close as any Fairfax high school to reflecting those of the county as a whole. I can understand why she thought this made the most sense for her family.

It's nice to think we're all color-blind, but then again one of the posters on this thread just characterized most of the Black students at Madison (which actually has the second or third lowest percentage of Black students in the entire county) as "trouble-makers." Why should the OP have to send her kids to that (or a similar) school to dispel these stereotypes, when she won't have the same burden if her kids can go to an area school with a larger number of high-achieving minority students who aren't saddled with these labels? I think it's actually more "PC" to think these considerations wouldn't make a difference to a minority parent scouting out the schools...
I think you were taking the posters words out of context. This is what was said-

"At Madison HS, there was a larger number of black kids, but the majority of them segerated themselves into their own cliche and kind of get a "trouble maker" label put on them. Of course, not every person is the same."

Old 07-14-2009, 04:05 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrovic View Post
I think you were taking the posters words out of context. This is what was said-

"At Madison HS, there was a larger number of black kids, but the majority of them segerated themselves into their own cliche and kind of get a "trouble maker" label put on them. Of course, not every person is the same."
I could be convinced by others that the poster didn't accurately portray the environment at the school, but it seems to me that I paraphrased his or her comments more or less fairly. In any event, the OP made her decision months ago,

Old 07-14-2009, 04:34 PM

628 posts, read 1,933,844 times
My kids went through the Orange Hunt ES-Washington Irving MS-W. Springfield HS pyramid that you reference. While the AA population in the surrounding neighborhoods and these schools is nowhere near the percentages you desire, my perspective as a Caucasian living here for 22 years is that AA families are very comfortable with their reception into this community, including the schools. I'd say that in general any lower scores that may be attached to AA students--or any race category--is more a reflection of the value education gets at home. (It's not an accident that Asian students do very well.) There is no racially-tiered education system. Check out the Burke area, too, where schools feed into Lake Braddock SS. Greater concentrations of AAs are in Alexandria (TC Williams HS) and the Alexandria section of Fairfax County (Mt Vernon HS, W. Potomac HS, Hayfield HS). The Route 1 corridor generally has a reputation for more low-income areas, less cohesive families, and crime. I don't want to overstate that, but, comparatively, that's a fact. I don't pretend to know what AA's comfort level is living among higher vs lower concentrations of other AAs, but I can say with certainty that your family would be welcome here. Don't let that be a hindrance in your decision process. Whatever your choice, good luck.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,586 times
Smile Follow-up Did you pick Fairfax or Stay in Prince George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
Okay, I'm currently living in Maryland and really love my community here in Prince George's County (Upper Marlboro area), but I just had a baby in July and after researching the schools, my husband & I have decided to move to Fairfax County. We are looking at the Burke/West Springfield area, especially the areas that feed into Irving MS and West Springfield HS (the elementary schools that feed into that pyramid all seem okay). My concern however, is that there doesn't seem to be many African-American families in NOVA the way it is in Maryland, and we are trying to get a feel for the "vibe" in that area.

Can somebody please let me know are there any Black Hair Salans or would I have to travel to Alexandria to get my hair done? Are the schools well-integrated or will my child face hostility? What are the best schools in NOVA with at least a 15-20% AA student body, but good scores and high ranking? Also, I notice on FCPS website that black SAT scores are about 200 pts lower than white/asian scores, and AP/IB participation is lower too. How come?! Do the teachers disuade black pupils from taking the tough courses, or try to track black students into the remedial path? I personally attended schools in Virginia Beach (father was military) and I remember how the schools would automatically assign all black children to remedial classes (my schools were about 3% black), and then you'd stay there if your parents didn't fight to get you out. Luckily, I had an English teacher (the only black teacher at that school) that finally rescued me, and by Middle School I was in honors classes (usually the only black) where I went on to become a straight-A student and go on to college. Are there many Black Teachers in FCPS?

Please help!! Thanks and I appreciate it!

I came across your 2008 post online about Fairfax vs. PG county as I am going through a similar dilemma. The difference is we live in Germany and are returning to the states vs. PG county. I use to live in Woodbridge, VA and it was ok, but that was before I had kids. My sons are 6 and 9 and have never attended school in the US. They have enjoyed international schools but have always been the only AAs. I am now trying to find a school in NOVA that offers more diversity 15 -30% AA but with good academics and extracurricular activities. It would be extremely helpful to know if you have moved to Fairfax or settled on another county. If you moved to NOVA, what is your experience with schools, communities? If you stayed in PG, did you find a good public school.

Any information you could provide is greatly appreciated.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:47 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
Did you look at TC Williams?

Old 06-11-2017, 05:14 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryce View Post
I came across your 2008 post online about Fairfax vs. PG county as I am going through a similar dilemma. The difference is we live in Germany and are returning to the states vs. PG county. I use to live in Woodbridge, VA and it was ok, but that was before I had kids. My sons are 6 and 9 and have never attended school in the US. They have enjoyed international schools but have always been the only AAs. I am now trying to find a school in NOVA that offers more diversity 15 -30% AA but with good academics and extracurricular activities. It would be extremely helpful to know if you have moved to Fairfax or settled on another county. If you moved to NOVA, what is your experience with schools, communities? If you stayed in PG, did you find a good public school.

Any information you could provide is greatly appreciated.
As a black guy who graduated HS here after living in a pretty intergrated area, Hampton Roads, I think a lot of black families would be comfortable in the school districts in Eastern Fairfax County (faux Alexandria) like Edison, Hayfield, South County, West Potomac, etc which all have a pretty well represented AA population. Now do these schools perform lower than the rest of Fairfax County? Yes, but I have several friends who have graduated from these districts who have had nothing but positive experiences. I graduated from TC Williams myself (Alexandria City PS) and I think you would have to really try to get a less than solid education here in Northern VA.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:25 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,972,333 times
I think the biggest enemies for the black and Hispanic students, who want to succeed, is peer pressure to underachieve. IOW, it is not cool to be smart. That is what differentiates ghetto schools from schools that are simply in lower income areas. The Hispanics are often also burdened by families, that refuse to speak English, but they also may face a peer group that promotes poor and stupid. Some things cannot be bought with money raised by outrageous taxes. If they had started using the military to keep order at DCPS 45 years ago; they wouldn't be needed at surrounding jurisdictions today. Gangbangers must face the threat of Superior Court, for promoting their criminal enterprises at public schools.

Old 06-11-2017, 12:13 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skapov View Post
Okay, I'm currently living in Maryland and really love my community here in Prince George's County (Upper Marlboro area), but I just had a baby in July and after researching the schools, my husband & I have decided to move to Fairfax County. We are looking at the Burke/West Springfield area, especially the areas that feed into Irving MS and West Springfield HS (the elementary schools that feed into that pyramid all seem okay). My concern however, is that there doesn't seem to be many African-American families in NOVA the way it is in Maryland, and we are trying to get a feel for the "vibe" in that area.

Can somebody please let me know are there any Black Hair Salans or would I have to travel to Alexandria to get my hair done? Are the schools well-integrated or will my child face hostility? What are the best schools in NOVA with at least a 15-20% AA student body, but good scores and high ranking? Also, I notice on FCPS website that black SAT scores are about 200 pts lower than white/asian scores, and AP/IB participation is lower too. How come?! Do the teachers disuade black pupils from taking the tough courses, or try to track black students into the remedial path? I personally attended schools in Virginia Beach (father was military) and I remember how the schools would automatically assign all black children to remedial classes (my schools were about 3% black), and then you'd stay there if your parents didn't fight to get you out. Luckily, I had an English teacher (the only black teacher at that school) that finally rescued me, and by Middle School I was in honors classes (usually the only black) where I went on to become a straight-A student and go on to college. Are there many Black Teachers in FCPS?

Please help!! Thanks and I appreciate it!
There are not many black teachers in FCPS. I worked in a school with 30% AA population and maybe 2 black teachers. But I also went to some career fairs for FCPS and hardly saw any black applicants, either. I do not think your child will face any hostility, though. Our current elementary school has less than 10% black, (60% white), but as far as I can tell my child is completely unaware of any racial issues or tensions. He has friends from all backgrounds and doesn't seem to give it any thought. By contrast, when I was in a school with mainly AA and Hispanic populations, there was a lot of talk about race and a lot of grouping together (like cliques) by Spanish speakers and black students (and there were divisions even among those groups). I don't think the number of black students is any guarantee that your children will feel comfortable at school. I think you should check out the schools yourself and see what the atmosphere is like. Talk to principals. They make the biggest difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia