Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 02:51 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,541 times

Advertisements

Both of our senators are in the same party, but in writing each of them on various issues, i have discovered that they do not answer the same.
Mark Warner has been a great representative in responding to questions and concerns.
Jim Webb on the other hand has been-well terrible. I had better feedback from the much derided former senator George Allen than I have received from Webb. My e-mails to both Senators have been the same, no bashing.
Just curious, has anyone else had problems in contacting either Senator on various issues or concerns?

Yes-i voted for both these guys, so I am not a republican trolling these boards to stir up things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 06:26 PM

798 posts, read 2,730,002 times
MY dh sent the same e-mail to both recently and heard back almost immediately Senator Mark Warner and it took weeks to hear back from Senator Webb. He was not happy at all.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:25 PM

15,149 posts, read 27,821,472 times
I haven't had occasion to write them (Webb/Warner), but this is interesting to note. I do communicate w/the Alex. City folks though and have had fast responses.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:53 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,334,284 times
The first thing you need to realize is Politicians are LIARS. They probably have Law degrees. So they're good at lying. Next, those senators only care about themselves and their closes allies. They don't give a crap about you or various issues unless you complain and start building steam so they're frightened they wont get voted for.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:33 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,956,389 times
I've had the same experiences with Warner and Webb. I suspect that Webb doesn't much like his job and won't run for it again. He has openly said that he prefers solitary activities. He has also said that he prefers writing books. Webb has never played well with others and has quit every job he's ever had because the boss wouldn't let him run the show. Guess what? The Senate NOT is a solitary job, a Senator MUST be able to get along with others if he is to get anything done for his constituents, and it's ALL based on seniority. Webb is NOT in charge and won't be for decades. I have no idea why he ever wanted the job. Me thinks he doth regret running and winning and we see that in his lack of effort in responding to constituents. He simply doesn't care.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:58 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,541 times
Denton-I think you could be right about Webb's lack of interest. I also learned he is formerly associated with the republican party and quit it as the political tide changed, this is not someone you could ever count on. Virginia has got to have someone better.
As for your comments VRE-I do concur somewhat, but as you said, if we build steam, then they may act. So, while i at times get very apathetic towards politicians-I still think we need to keep pound away at them with phone calls, e-mail and letters. As long as we maintain civility with such, and possibly get some media attention, you just might get them to act.
Last, to everyone, we need to keep making them understand that while some of them think they are above listening to us, it is us who are their employers-not the other way around. Collectively if we ride their butts on issues we fee strongly about-they will listen. I have found the 2 year term at a time house or reps. tend to listen faster.

Old 03-15-2009, 01:43 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,511,611 times
Sometimes, those who hold elective office need to be reminded that they are public servants.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:26 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,108,302 times
Like Flamingo, I haven't written to either one, but keep in mind that elected officials' responsiveness and accessibility to constituents is partly as good as his/her staff. While the leadership comes from above (i.e., the Senator themselves), it's the Chief of Staff and Legislative Director in their personal office who set the tone and "policy" on how quickly to respond to constituents' mail.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:30 AM

60 posts, read 118,848 times
Thumbs down Webb Hasn't Replied to me Yet

I've had the same experience with Webb--written him twice and have yet to receive a response from him. As with some of the others here, I did not "Bash" anyone in my notes, but his staff nonetheless must have felt that they had better things to do than to answer a concerned citizens e-mail. I hope this guy is a one-termer and no, I didn't vote for him, but I was quite willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for Mark Warner, I have always given him high marks. I always viewed him as very pragmatic, a trait which I attribute to his considerable private sector exprience. When Warner was governor, he actually worked well with a legislature dominated by the other party (something I note that Virginia's current governor does not do well at all), but that's a discussion for another thread.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:08 PM

798 posts, read 2,730,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
Like Flamingo, I haven't written to either one, but keep in mind that elected officials' responsiveness and accessibility to constituents is partly as good as his/her staff. While the leadership comes from above (i.e., the Senator themselves), it's the Chief of Staff and Legislative Director in their personal office who set the tone and "policy" on how quickly to respond to constituents' mail.
Understand that but, the overall expectations of the elected officials are what the Chief of Staff should be basing their "policy" on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCVA View Post
I've had the same experience with Webb--written him twice and have yet to receive a response from him. As with some of the others here, I did not "Bash" anyone in my notes, but his staff nonetheless must have felt that they had better things to do than to answer a concerned citizens e-mail. I hope this guy is a one-termer and no, I didn't vote for him, but I was quite willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

As for Mark Warner, I have always given him high marks. I always viewed him as very pragmatic, a trait which I attribute to his considerable private sector exprience. When Warner was governor, he actually worked well with a legislature dominated by the other party (something I note that Virginia's current governor does not do well at all), but that's a discussion for another thread.

Well said..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia