Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 23,726 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to Ashburn for a variety of reasons but our biggest concern is the commute. My husband works in the heart of the District. It looks like the bus might take 1.5 hours door-to-door, but can anyone who does it now confirm? We were looking in Ashburn Farm and Village and not sure how bad traffic is in the morning (6-7AM) getting to the Dulles North Transit center (not using the Greenway).

Also, he's considering a carpool / rideshare...can anyone quote estimated times using that option from Ashburn to DC? And, any recommendations on the best service to connect w/ other riders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:36 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,312,138 times
I don't know about bus, but we live in Ashburn Farm and my husband travels to Tysons daily and it takes him 45 minutes or so to get there. DC is farther, so my guess driving would be a little over an hour. Ashburn is a lovely place to live (I love the Farm) but it WILL be a hike. He COULD drive to the Metro in Vienna and then ride that way...But that would be a lot. OR he could drive to Point of Rocks and go that way

Old 03-08-2009, 10:02 AM

19 posts, read 111,353 times
Default Ashburn to D.C. commute

We are in exactly the same delimma. We are moving to VA in June. Hubby will work near the Washington mall. We love Ashburn but cannot find a way to make the commute in a reasonable amount of time. Instead, we may live in Vienna near Rt. 7 or McLean to ease the commute (but really want Ashburn).

Can anyone share your experience with commuting Ashburn to DC, leaving as early as 6:00 am or as late as 7:00 am M-F? How about the return trip leaving DC around 5:00 pm? What route would you take if you have no travel buddy to comply with HOV restrictions?

ssnguyen7: Reagrding rideshare, when are you moving? Maybe we can work together for a solution.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:43 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
I can't help on the Ashburn - DC commute directly but can give you a little information. I commuted from Reston to DC for more than 4 years and also go from Reston to Stone Bridge High School in Ashburn on a weekly basis.

Reston (South Lakes area) to DC (14& M) takes 45-50 minutes if I have a rider (Toll Road to I-66) leaving at 7:45 am.
Reston to DC takes 1:10 to 1:30 without a rider (Toll Road to 495 to GW Parkway) leaving at 7:15 am.
Reston to Stone Bridge in Ashburn takes me 20 minutes with no traffic.

Old 03-09-2009, 06:34 AM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
The Ashburn to DC on the commuter bus takes about an hour but you have to pad in a little commuting time to get TO the bus. I have gotten home from DC, leaving at around 5pm, on the commuter bus from the Ronald Reagan building in one hour, including the commute from Dulles North home to Ashburn Farm (that was my quickest time). In the mornings it takes a little longer because of the wait for the bus, unless you time it perfectly.

Some people I know drive down the toll road to route 7 and take 7 to the metro, then metro in. They tell me it takes about 1 hour and 15 minutes, leaving around 6am. I can imagine it would take much longer leaving anywhere around 7:30-9am due to traffic on the toll road.

Personally, in absence of commuting with a 2nd rider, a hybrid or by motorcycle, I prefer the Loudoun Commuter bus for my trips to DC.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:01 AM

65 posts, read 258,732 times
I drive from Ashburn to DC and back everyday, most days its ok just have to leave at the same time, I live in Ashburn near Broadlands, I take RT7 to 495 to the GW parkway, As long as I leave between 6:15-6:30 I can make it in in about an hour or so. When the traffic is really moving I can get there earlier. I take a different route home, GW parkway to Georgetown Pike to RT 7. If I leave at 5 I can usually make it home by 6:30 depending on Georgetown Pike, most times that has backups. NOTE if you live in northern VA and work in DC you will deal with traffic, no matter the route!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 AM

19 posts, read 111,353 times
THANKS to all of you for the feedback. We will use all this information to help us decide if Ashburn will work for us. In looking at the commuter bus option, it seems to be a nicer ride than other buses. DH took the 5A from Dulles airport and said it was rather bumpy...couldn't imagine being able to work/write during commute. So, is the Ashburn to DC bus more like a coach with comfortable seats, etc.? What kind of work can you get done while riding? Writing....typing on laptop...any other thoughts? Again, thank you all for taking time to help us learn about commuting.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:19 AM

989 posts, read 2,854,446 times
The Loudoun commuter bus is great. It's a coach-I think it seats 55 or so people. I have been told there is a restroom in the back. I have been on the bus where it is standing room only, but not all that often. You can quietly work on a laptop, etc, but they really, really discourage loud talking, cell phones, etc (and, yes, you will get the stink-eye from fellow passengers). Some of the buses are really quiet, some are more lively in the afternoons (with the "regulars"). It is a very interesting subculture...

Old 03-15-2010, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 21,205 times
Default ashburn farms commute

I just moved to Ashburn Farms and love the area. I have not figured out the best commute route yet. I have been driving to the Herndon park and ride and taking the 5A to West Falls Church and jumping on the metro there. I get off at the Navy Memorial stop and it takes me aprox 1:45 minutes door to door. Comming back it takes about 2:15hrs. I have tried to take the 5A from Rosslyn and that ride took about 45min ride to the Herndon park and ride and it was a packed ride. There are a couple of commuter vans in the parking lot of in Ashburn Farms but i don't know where they drop off at. I am looking to join in a ride share goup to downtown if someone is willing.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,934,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcrim View Post
they really, really discourage loud talking, cell phones, etc (and, yes, you will get the stink-eye from fellow passengers).
Good! I'm getting sick of having to overhear cell phones everywhere I go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia