Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2009, 07:23 PM

93 posts, read 273,754 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I can honestly say this is a tremodous forum. I usually get great responses from Nitrovic and believe it or not El General, although a bit rough in his responses, still produces valuable thought provoking statements. So here it is, I will be relocating to NOVA. I read throughout some of these forums of the massive cuts in PWC school district. I am moving from Florida which easily has one of the worst public school systems in the country. And trust me I am not blowing smoke up you peoples' asses, but NOVA has excellent schools, PWC Loudoun and Fairfax. Take that for what it is worth. So I have a daughter who will start school Sept 2010, yes 2010. I don't know if I am on the 5 year plan to move or if I will stay past 5 years. Basically if my daughter is doing well in school, I will not upset the applecart. I believe the housing market is at or near the bottom, so I will be purchasing a home.

I will be working in Chantilly at the intersection of 28 and 50 ( I understand this is a well known intersection).
Questions?? How bad is the commute from Purcellville or Round Hill? How about from these cities all the way to DC? How do I measure the value of better schools against longer commute ( I am looking at homes in the Haymarket, Gainesville, Bristow area as well)? How punctual is the VRE as I may have to commute in to DC a month at a time or so? ?? Why are house so expensive in Ashburn? Give me some good insight into HAYMARKET and Fauquier County as well.

Thank you all, I always feel that the feedback from this forum is genuine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 06:41 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,964,378 times
My husband commuted from the Cascades section of Sterling to that intersection, I believe it is about 10 miles. He usually allowed half hour, it may be quicker now since they have done away with some of the lights, but route 28 is still a bear in rush hour traffic. There are commuter buses to D.C., I'm sure you can find that info online. Purcellville and further west would be well over an hour to the intersection you mentioned. You didn't mention your budget, but the Countryside section of Sterling (or Potomac Falls) has more reasonably priced homes than Cascades, Lowes Island, or Ashburn. It is older but has some very nice detached homes or townhouses, community pools, tot lots, walk/jog paths and is close to some great shopping and restaurants. It is also close to the Potomac river for fishing and boating, and Algonkian Park for activities for the whole family. I don't know enough current info about PW county to comment, but I'm sure someone will jump in on that topic.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:17 AM

352 posts, read 1,592,703 times
Reiliz, your workplace in Chantilly gives you a lot of options that others don't have - I'm envious! I'd look in Gainesville and Bristow, and also perhaps the northern third of Manassas (right by I-66) as long as it's not Sinclair or West Gate ES's. You won't gain anything by bouncing out further to Haymarket - the schools are of similar quality to Gainesville and Bristow, and your commute would be longer.

Loudoun schools are generally considered to be a shade better than Prince William's, but two factors are at work there. One, both have good schools - you recognize this when you compare them to other metropolitan areas. Two, a good deal of why Loudoun schools are considered a shade better than Prince William's has to do with a reputation for some Eastern Prince William schools in the Dale City area to be a little rough. Again, not rough by nationwide standards, as they're still good - just rough by the higher standards of Northern Virginia. You're not looking in that area, though, and the schools in Western Prince William are largely really good.

I hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia