Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 02:27 PM

4 posts, read 21,382 times

Advertisements

I live in a condo and we have street parking. I got in my car, pulled away from the curb and realized I had a flat tire. I pulled over to the corner and got out to take a look. It was WAY flat, I couldn't drive further without damaging my rim. I was in a "no parking from here to corner" area. I ran back into the house and called to have someone come change my tire (I can't do it myself). They were there within about 45 mins. When I came outside to meet them, I had a $40 ticket.

I took pictures of the flat tire, of the person changing it, and I have my service receipt. Is it worth fighting the ticket? The car was there for an hour! Ugh.

Oh, and its Fairfax County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 02:48 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlee1031 View Post
I live in a condo and we have street parking. I got in my car, pulled away from the curb and realized I had a flat tire. I pulled over to the corner and got out to take a look. It was WAY flat, I couldn't drive further without damaging my rim. I was in a "no parking from here to corner" area. I ran back into the house and called to have someone come change my tire (I can't do it myself). They were there within about 45 mins. When I came outside to meet them, I had a $40 ticket.

I took pictures of the flat tire, of the person changing it, and I have my service receipt. Is it worth fighting the ticket? The car was there for an hour! Ugh.

Oh, and its Fairfax County.
I'd go for it. I'd give you a 50-50 chance. Even if you lose, it's only $40.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:27 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,611,121 times
Is it worth your time? Time = money

Old 01-08-2009, 12:31 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Why didn't you go back to the car after calling for help? If you were there, I'd bet you wouldn't have a ticket to fight now.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:08 PM

1,576 posts, read 6,347,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEATHER72 View Post
Is it worth your time? Time = money
Yeah, if taking a half day (or maybe whole day) to attend traffic court during the week is feasible, you should go to the hearing. I think most judges would be very sympathetic to your plight and dismiss the ticket altogether. In fact, I would put a dismissal at 80%. You didn't have any good parking options, it would have been unsafe to drive further, and you did not intend to violate the parking laws -- you had a flat tire and you should get a pass.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:31 PM

555 posts, read 2,701,408 times
In some jurisdictions you can go to the local police field station and speak with a supervisor, they can void parking tickets. This one sounds like the kind that can be voided....

Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
I don't know - would have probably been a different story if he/she had stayed with the car, as it was: it was parked/left in a no parking area.

A good reminder: everyone should have a spare tire!

Old 01-09-2009, 07:02 AM

218 posts, read 547,011 times
Does the ticket allow you to write in a dispute?

I know when I got a parking ticket a few years back, it stated on the back if I wanted to dispute the ticket, I could write a letter of explanation. If you can do that, send pics and a copy of your service receipt.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:39 AM

24 posts, read 77,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goozer View Post
Yeah, if taking a half day (or maybe whole day) to attend traffic court during the week is feasible, you should go to the hearing. I think most judges would be very sympathetic to your plight and dismiss the ticket altogether. In fact, I would put a dismissal at 80%. You didn't have any good parking options, it would have been unsafe to drive further, and you did not intend to violate the parking laws -- you had a flat tire and you should get a pass.
Agreed, but will you make more than $40.00 if you work 1/2 day or a full day that it would take you to fight it?

Old 01-15-2009, 08:26 AM

4 posts, read 21,382 times
In response to the questions asked - I do have time that I can take off, paid - plenty of it. So its kind of a matter of principal that I do not think its a "fair" ticket.

Also, I have a toddler that was with me, and waiting on the curb for 45 mins wasn't really an option. I had to keep him inside, it was about 30 degrees outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia