Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,597 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to Belvoir next month, and we keep going back and forth on what area to live in. I would rather have it squared away before we get there in order to find a house quickly. My husband is a Blackhawk pilot, so I'm assuming he will be working on Davison Army Airfield. We're in our 20s and don't have any children (no plans for any soon either), so we're not worried about a "family friendly" area. We would like to be close to where the action is, but we still want to have a decent sized newer house with at least 3 bedrooms, and preferrably a small back yard. We've moved once a year for the past 4 years, and we're going to be at Belvoir for at least 3-5 years, so I'm looking forward to settling down for once! He will probably be coming home a lot during his shifts at work, so I want something that won't be very far from Davison. We've looked at Lorton, south Alexandria, and north Woodbridge. I've heard horror stories about the commute from Woodbridge, but is it really that bad? A SFH would be fantastic, but I know we're more than likely to get a townhouse. Our BAH is going to be $2350. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
~Brittany
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 09:48 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,724,411 times
I would suggest Kingstowne and the surrounding area. It sits along the northern edge of Belvoir. The average rent for a townhouse is about $2400 - $3000 depending sq ft and # of garages. Some of the other areas just north of the base are slightly less. Check out militarybyowner.com, zip 22315. There are also quite a few nice apt complexes around Kingstowne and Manchester lakes, but it sounds like apts aren't what you're looking for. A SFH is much higher, though parts of springfield along the Fairfax county parkway headed towards Burke (which will give your husband a nice commute) are pretty decent. Woodbridge is bad, as there is only one road that heads towards Belvoir.. Rt 1, and it is brutal. It does offer cheaper prices, but not much to do for younger people. And nicer areas are surrounded by some pretty bad places, making going for a run, bike ride etc not a great idea.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:19 PM

56 posts, read 206,334 times
We are stationed at Belvoir and live in a 4 level townhouse in Lake Ridge (nicer area in woodbridge). It takes my husband 30-45 minutes to get to work depending on how early he leaves. Our BAH is the same and covers our rent and utilities. We wanted closer to post, but just couldn't stretch the BAH for the amount of house we wanted. Fairfax county tends to be much more expensive than Prince William. My friend lives in Belmont Bay and it only takes her husband about 20-25 minutes to get to post.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:23 PM

4 posts, read 10,721 times
I live in Lorton not to far away from Belvoir. The commute from woodbridge to Belvoir gets bad at around 0630 and lightens up at around 0900. Going the other way starts to get bad at around 1500, but its still moving.

Last edited by FindingZen; 01-09-2009 at 09:15 AM.. Reason: Real estate advertising

Old 01-08-2009, 06:47 PM

798 posts, read 2,727,445 times
Default good advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
I would suggest Kingstowne and the surrounding area. It sits along the northern edge of Belvoir. The average rent for a townhouse is about $2400 - $3000 depending sq ft and # of garages. Some of the other areas just north of the base are slightly less. Check out militarybyowner.com, zip 22315. There are also quite a few nice apt complexes around Kingstowne and Manchester lakes, but it sounds like apts aren't what you're looking for. A SFH is much higher, though parts of springfield along the Fairfax county parkway headed towards Burke (which will give your husband a nice commute) are pretty decent. Woodbridge is bad, as there is only one road that heads towards Belvoir.. Rt 1, and it is brutal. It does offer cheaper prices, but not much to do for younger people. And nicer areas are surrounded by some pretty bad places, making going for a run, bike ride etc not a great idea.
This is excellent advice.. Rt 1 really is brutal and your dh would be miserable I think. There are lots of places in the 22315 zip that should fit your requirements especially if you are willing to consider a townhouse. You will be VERY close to post as well. One very big advantage of a TH is that yard work is minimal so your free time is your own.. We thought we would miss our yard until our first spring/summer of virtually no yard work! It has it's advantages!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:44 AM

24 posts, read 77,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyes13 View Post
This is excellent advice.. Rt 1 really is brutal and your dh would be miserable I think. There are lots of places in the 22315 zip that should fit your requirements especially if you are willing to consider a townhouse. You will be VERY close to post as well. One very big advantage of a TH is that yard work is minimal so your free time is your own.. We thought we would miss our yard until our first spring/summer of virtually no yard work! It has it's advantages!
You can find a SFH about 2k sq. ft. with a large yard for that amount in Hayfield Farms. Houses were built in 1968, but it is an established neighborhood. It is quiet, safe, the neighborhood has a great pool and it is convenient to Belvoir (with a reverse commute to boot). Moreover, it is really close to Kingstowne, movies, restaurants and fairly close to two metro stations if you'd like to go to DC on the weekends.

I'd recommend 22315. Of course, I am a bit biased as I hown a house in Hayfield Farms, which I currently have rented untilthe end of April.

Old 09-25-2009, 01:44 AM

22 posts, read 101,112 times
Roamingmuffin,
Did you guys request Belvoir or was it given to you? Just wondering how easy/hard it is for a blackhawk pilot to get that assignment.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:24 AM

32 posts, read 105,382 times
Try all the great neighborhoods off of Telegraph Road just up the street from the airfield...Mt. Air, Hayfield, Newington (where I live), Raceway Farms, etc. these are all neighborhoods adjacent to Fort Belvoir on Telegraph Raod between the Fairfax County Parkway and Hayfield Road.

Lot's of families, safe, military friendly!

Old 01-25-2010, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 3,847 times
We are moving to Belvoir in June, I need to know what is the best high school for my daughter to attend I just want to make the right decision going in. Please if anyone can help I would appreciate it.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:39 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kidmommy View Post
We are moving to Belvoir in June, I need to know what is the best high school for my daughter to attend I just want to make the right decision going in. Please if anyone can help I would appreciate it.
You may want to look at this recent thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ax-county.html

What may be considered the "best" high schools in Fairfax County aren't necessarily near Ft. Belvoir. But you may not enjoy the commute or cost of living required. That said, consensus seems to feel that schools are generally good to great. There is a school of thought, no pun intended, that motivated students will thrive at any school in the county.

I believe the two schools closest to the base would be West Potomac and/or Mt. Vernon. You can certainly find out more opinions about these on the thread above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia