Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:40 AM

23 posts, read 84,163 times

Advertisements

Havetosay,
I agree with you. It is way overbuilt out here. The air quality is horrible and I see new graffiti in my so-called "safe" neighborhood every week. I have made the best of it, because I've had to, but enough is enough! I love my friends, my church and my children's private school. The people out here are very open and welcoming, which I love. Anyone anywhere will share his or her life story with you. Just yesterday, a woman, while pumping gas into her car, just started talking to me, telling me the area we were living really has gone downhill in the past 10 years. We both commented on how dirty and ghetto-like the street was. Then she goes on to tell me she tried to buy a home twice in the "nice" part of town, but that the homes would not appraise out to the value she bid. A complete stranger! All in all, what is important to me is a cared for neighborhood, nice homes (not necessarily mansions, but not fixers either) and a quality education. I have met so many people that just accept their child's education as being "good enough". Or there are others who will foot the 20K/year bill for Kindergarten! Yes, I said 20K. I think the parents love the lifestyle of living in LA, the weather, going to the beach, restaurants. They rationalize that they are providing a beautiful life for their children by being in sunny CA and having access to all kinds of "experiences" that others in the US don't have. Or they are natives, and have family here, and wouldn't want to move away from them. At any rate, my children have lived the lifestlye now, and really want their own rooms - not share a "dorm" sized bedroom in a rented apartment and they also want a yard. We want to be closer to family in the Midwest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 10:38 AM

230 posts, read 1,036,517 times
Hi Julieflutie,

Just wanted to add that we recently relocated to NOVA from the other side of the world and so far everyone we have encountered have been more than friendly, you'll be fine!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:40 AM

116 posts, read 446,959 times
1. People in D.C. only care about themselves and their immediate circle of family/friends. They wouldn't stop their car to save your life.

2. There are two kinds of people in D.C. Those that are completely self interested and career focused, and the losers that work menial jobs to service them.

3. This area is just as expensive as SoCal. In fact, Fairfax/Loudon county are two of the highest per-capita income counties in America (top 3).

4. Nobody should complain about 4-15 adults living in the same town house when prices are so ridiculously high that the bottom 40% of wage earners cannot afford a place to live + food.

5. Springfield is cheaper than the rest of NoVA and therefore has a much greater number of foreigners/illegals.

6. You get used to it. I've lived in the D.C. area for about 90% of my life with the only exception being a stint in the military. Personally, I can't live anywhere else. It is weird to me when a cashier starts up a conversation. It is weird to me when a stranger smiles or waves or says hello. Don't worry about that around these parts, it won't happen.

Old 01-10-2009, 10:53 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,110,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julieflutie View Post
Thinking of the Burke-Springfield, VA area. Is it unfriendly there? Are people that pretentious? We are looking for a nice community in which we can stay permanently. Tired of moving! Is this a possibility in NOVA?
As someone who moved to the Burke area 18 months ago, I think it's a safe, family-friendly place. Will you meet pretentious people in NOVA? Of course, just like you would anywhere else in the world, but that doesn't mean you won't be able to meet nice people. And as far as pace, well, it's all relative. When I first moved here from NYC in the 90s, I thought DC's pace was slow (LOL!). After living in Seattle, I realized what "slower" meant. Whether you describe it as "assertive" or "aggressive," I think it's all part of living in a big, East coast city.

There are so many things to do, even with children. You'll never be bored. If you reach out to others, you'll meet people who share your interests and values. Get involve with your community early on. Our neighbors have been fantastic. When we first moved, they welcomed us with baked goods. As time has gone by, I joined the women's book club and my husband gets invited to all the poker parties. We have each other's keys and when there is an emergency, we are there for each other. We also found a church we like a lot. It's all what you are willing to make of it and it sounds like you have the qualities to make this your new home. Good luck with your relocation!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:21 AM

26,701 posts, read 41,809,416 times
To be really honest, NoVA in my opinion is unfriendly. It is not impossible to make friends here but will be difficult. I've made a few friends but most have been from church or work. Sure you'll find someone in a resturant to have a conversation with about Obama, football, or crime but no way will that make up for the other 5-10 idiots you'll meet in a day here and that's if you dont have to drive to and from work. Sometimes you'll get a few neighbors that will at least say hi but most are totally focused on their day at work or home and will ignore you. That's just my experience here. Oh yeah, Ateo has a point on the standard of living it is not that much better than Southern California.

I wouldn't say not to move here necessarily, but i think there better options. if you want my opinion on those better and friendlier areas just ask.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:29 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,982,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ateo View Post
It is weird to me when a stranger smiles or waves or says hello. Don't worry about that around these parts, it won't happen.
Maybe that's true closer to the city. But don't move to Loudoun County if you think that's wierd. Out here people wave and smile and strike up conversations in the grocery store all the time.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:54 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,690,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melbourne Family View Post
Hi Julieflutie,

Just wanted to add that we recently relocated to NOVA from the other side of the world and so far everyone we have encountered have been more than friendly, you'll be fine!

We only cut you some slack because we like funny accents!

Old 01-10-2009, 02:58 PM

15,156 posts, read 27,854,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Maybe that's true closer to the city. But don't move to Loudoun County if you think that's wierd. Out here people wave and smile and strike up conversations in the grocery store all the time.
We do that closer in also.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:27 PM

948 posts, read 3,360,259 times
Default Yet, more input

You didn't say what part of socal you're from. San Diego, L.A., Carlsbad???? How long have you been there?You may end up trading same scenario's for a different location. You got the great weather going there, which here is currently freezing cold and miserable to me. I just went to check out a private school in Md for my son. Going rate is only$30,000 a year. Traffic here will probally be comparable to socal, but we have trains here. Big house will cost a big price. Don't know the parameters of what your'e looking for, but to get a nice 3,4 bdrm that doesn't need work and is near the metro is a million dollars. Oh, and don't count on any yard. Lot's of trade offs to consider.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 PM

15,156 posts, read 27,854,532 times
I think AlanBoy and FairfaxMom need to meet - they both seem to have the same negative attitudes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia