Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Should I Consider (Why?)
Alexandria 12 42.86%
Arlington 16 57.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times

Advertisements

Both are good choices, although I'd probably go for Alexandria. If you live a little outside of Old Town (I'm talking 10 minutes) it's cheaper and the commute's better. From where I used to live near King & 395 I was within a 15-minute drive to DC, Old Town, Pentagon City, Shirlington, Clarendon, Ballston, and Rosslyn. Also, despite it being an older crowd, I've always liked Old Town more than Clarendon, Ballston, Rosslyn, or Pentagon City. It has more character and seems less "development-like" to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 07:24 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
"Welcome" to the NOVA forum, Scran.

If you're anticipating 4-day/10-hour work week, you won't be in much condition to hang out for over half the time. IMO you should save yourself the headache of slogging down Route 1 or the GW Parkway towards Fort Belvoir. (While somewhat of a reverse commute, it can make Philly rush hour look like a lazy Sunday in comparison, let alone Scranton.) Assuming you're arriving with no more debt than a car note, $42K will will allow you to live a comfortable if not extravagant life in Old Town. I agree with others who say living in the Arlington Ballston/Clarendon corridor will surely require a roommate... or an addiction to ramen noodles and Milwaukee's Best.

And in agreement with juniperbleu, living a few miles west of Old Town may result in a loss of "hip quotient" but it will be more than offset by savings in your rent.

Old 03-10-2009, 03:55 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Since I now firmly know that I have a job offer in Herndon I have decided to "bump" this thread back up to the top of the page in hopes that someone can break this current voting tie of eight for each city. Would it be feasible to live in Arlington and reverse-commute out to Herndon on a daily basis, assuming a typical work schedule of 6 AM-4 PM Monday-Thursday? I notice the most direct route seems to be the Dulles Toll Road. Is the DCAA office in Herndon (located along Elden Street) in close proximity to a Metro line so I could potentially take mass transit between, per se, Ballston and my job?

Old 03-10-2009, 04:41 PM

280 posts, read 1,041,516 times
No metro to Herndon area, unfortunately, but that is not a bad reverse commute at all IMO. I did Arlington to Fair Lakes happily and 66 is far worse than the toll road.

Court House, Clarendon, Ballston are all nice, all pricey, but if you are willing to walk more than a few blocks to the metro prices are a little better.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:48 PM

9 posts, read 27,363 times
While I cant tell you what the commute will be like, I would recommend Ballston. I am also moving down from Scranton in May and I just got an apartment with my girlfriend in Ballston. I have friends who have lived there for a couple years and they love it. There is plenty to do and the metro access is great. Even if you have to drive to work every day, you really wont have to drive anywhere else you want or need to go.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther07 View Post
I am also moving down from Scranton...
Will the last one out of Scranton please turn off the lights?! LOL! In all seriousness, every one of my friends has either already left Scranton or has plans to relocate within the next couple of years. It's really amazing that our biggest export is now our people.

Old 03-10-2009, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther07 View Post
There is plenty to do and the metro access is great. Even if you have to drive to work every day, you really wont have to drive anywhere else you want or need to go.
My primary goal is to somewhat replicate the walkable neighborhood atmosphere of someplace like The Lower Hill section in Scranton with the historic architecture and intellectual vibe, and to me it seems like Arlington may be the most feasible option for me. I may suck it up and live right in a suburban apartment complex in Herndon for the first three years or so just until I have my MBA, CPA, and have advanced up the pay scale a bit so that I can actually somewhat enjoy living in Ballston instead of just moving there now and struggling to make ends meet on my $41,000 salary. To me as a 22-year-old, it sounds "old" to picture myself at 25 or 26, but in all actuality I'd still be young enough to fit in with the Arlington crowd I'm sure.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:55 PM

9 posts, read 27,363 times
You're plenty young enough to enjoy it. I'll be 26 this fall and I feel right at home in Ballston. Although with your salary it might put some of the places right in the heart of Ballston/Courthouse out of reach right now. A lot of places right now are having pretty good deals - up to two months rent off - so be sure to look at plenty of places before making a decision.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:38 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
I read in the paper a few years ago that a study was being done of the impact of the country's aging population. Scranton is one of the cities that was chosen because it was estimated that the population there is as aged now as the rest of the country will be in 20 years. I have roots there, so I can ask, when is the last time you heard of anyone moving TO that area? Young people stay or leave; no one new comes to replace them.

Old 03-10-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I read in the paper a few years ago that a study was being done of the impact of the country's aging population. Scranton is one of the cities that was chosen because it was estimated that the population there is as aged now as the rest of the country will be in 20 years. I have roots there, so I can ask, when is the last time you heard of anyone moving TO that area? Young people stay or leave; no one new comes to replace them.
Actually I come into contact with quite a few customers at my current workplace who have just moved to the Scranton area via NJ or NY in pursuit of our lower cost-of-living. Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, according to estimates, has actually grown in population for the past two years (although this recent modest growth isn't enough to offset the steep declines in the earlier 2000s, so we'll still show a net loss from 2000-2010). I firmly believe that from 2010-2020, this area is truly going to take off. Sigh. If only there were more skilled job opportunities available in Scranton and/or more commuting options to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia