Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:03 AM

14 posts, read 65,964 times

Advertisements

I'm considering taking a job in Fairfax, and am wondering where is the best inexpensive location or where is the least expensive good area to live in the DC area. I would prefer a shorter commute, and good public schools are absolutely mandatory, but I'd also like to pay less than $1000 per month for three people and two cats. Is this an achievable goal? Does anyone on this forum have a house or townhouse for rent within a reasonable commute to Fairfax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 07:43 AM

488 posts, read 1,746,994 times
Is this an achievable goal?

-Not really.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:03 AM

60 posts, read 182,975 times
What you are looking for will probably run at least $1,500 +/- per month. You may be smart, depending on where you will be working in Fairfax, to look in Loudoun County or Prince William. The housing, in areas, can be cheaper than close in Fairfax. Also, the schools in Loudoun Co. are excellent (this is from personal experience). If you want less than an hour commute, room for all and in a good area/school district....you will be paying more than $1,000/mo.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:13 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
You will not find what you are looking for in Fairfax County.
In general, the areas in which you could rent a 2 BR apartment for $1000 will not have good schools.
Not sure where you live now, but $1000 would be pushing it for a 1 BR apartment in most safe parts of the DC metro area.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:25 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,684,139 times
Probably not an achievable goal; I'm sorry. Do you mean Fairfax City or Fairfax County? If the county, what area?

Old 02-20-2009, 02:12 PM

269 posts, read 1,002,360 times
NO, not an achieveable goal! How many times do people have to ask the same old questions? Even in Prince Georges County Maryland, with the higher crime and lower-performing schools, a 2 bedroom apartment goes for $1200/mo (we pay $1345/mo)! When my husband & I first moved from Chicago to this area, we also wanted cheap rents, and so we found on Craigslist a small apartment near Hyattsville for $950. But there were roaches and mice and no reliable A/C or heat, so the place was barely liveable and we had to move again. Maybe investigate renting out someone's basement, otherwise just give up.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:42 PM

107 posts, read 335,144 times
I know a person who is renting townhouse in Centreville. Little Rocky Run area. It is decent area and with good school. Close to 66, 29, 28.
I think they want at least 1400-1500 if you have 800 credit.

Hope you find a good place. Fairfax is great area.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:20 PM

229 posts, read 744,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahdiya View Post
I'm considering taking a job in Fairfax, and am wondering where is the best inexpensive location or where is the least expensive good area to live in the DC area. I would prefer a shorter commute, and good public schools are absolutely mandatory, but I'd also like to pay less than $1000 per month for three people and two cats. Is this an achievable goal? Does anyone on this forum have a house or townhouse for rent within a reasonable commute to Fairfax?
Around the Vienna metro area, there are many apartments that feed into Madison (and possibly Oakton) HS. I think the ES is Marshall Road though, which doesn't compare favorably to the other ES in Vienna, but that area has Thoreau as the MS which is good. I don't know what the rental prices are though.

Consider also the Commons of McLean, which may feed into McLean HS. The ES is Westgate, which is up and coming.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:01 AM

14 posts, read 65,964 times
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I found a single family two bedroom house rental in Manassas for $1050 per month, but the fact that the owner says he's in Nigeria and he needs a huge deposit sends up major red flags. Is this offer too good to be true?

The workplace is in Fairfax city, quite near the Vienna Metro. I'd pay more for a commute less than 45 minutes, but as a single mom can't afford luxury.

So my priorities in order:
1. Excellent schools, in particular excellent elementary and special education programs
2. 45 minutes or less commute
3. Lower price

Old 02-21-2009, 08:25 AM

280 posts, read 1,042,016 times
Default Don't send $ to Nigeria!!

Anyone asking you to send large sums to Nigeria is a scam!
(google "Nigerian scam" or something--it's a classic one)

There are some very inexpensive rentals in Manassas. I would search "Manassas" on this forum and look carefully at the neighborhood--Manassas has some great areas and some really rough areas. From a national perspective its schools aren't bad, but they aren't as good as Fairfax County.

If schools are your top priority, maybe look hard at Burke or Centreville, which have good schools and are in the less-expensive part of Ffx co (still a maybe in the price range you list though).

Manassas will in general be cheaper, but the schools and commute will be worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia