Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2009, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,459 times

Advertisements

I have always had public water and sewer, so I have no experience with septic tanks or water. But I'm looking at homes in the Oakton area and most of them have septic sewage and either public or well water. The newer homes have a septic/public water combo while the older ones, built around 1940s near Waples Mill, have septic/well water. I've been googling around and it seems there are some folks that love and some that hate life with wells, but nothing specific to the Fairfax area. Anyone have thoughts or opinons on whether I should stick to what I know or go ahead and exclude properties with septics and wells?

TIA
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 02:34 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,969,973 times
I have lived with both systems. When we lived in NJ we were on well and septic, Morris County inspected the septic every 3 months. The only problem we had was the electric was in overhead lines, so every time the power went out the well pump didn't work and we had no water to flush toilets with. I soon learned every time it looked like a storm to fill the bathtubs so we would have water to flush the toilets. Also, you may not be allowed to install a garbage disposal if you have a septic. You will also be limited as to what you can flush down the toilet; no tampons for instance.

You may need to install a water softener if you have well water; it tends to have minerals in it that will make the water "hard". The only other caveat I can think of right now is to remember that well water will not have fluoride so you will need to tell your dentist there is no fluoride in your water.

If you have found a nice home, don't rule it out because of well and/or septic. You can learn to live with it if you love the house.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:48 PM

60 posts, read 183,501 times
My folks have lived in Oakton since '89. The house they bought was on well and septic. The septic is so much of an issue. If it's newer and has been inspected and maintained it shouldn't be a problem. However, the well was a bit of an issue. They had a huge issue with sediment and build up. The minerals in the well water was harsh. They immediately hooked up to city water because of this.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:38 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,529,007 times
Find out how old the system is - where we used to live we had to have ours dug up and it cost a lot of money. You have to be careful what you put down the toilet when you have septic. It also costs a lot of money sometimes to hook up to the public water system.

Old 03-06-2009, 04:45 PM

229 posts, read 745,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbico View Post
I have always had public water and sewer, so I have no experience with septic tanks or water. But I'm looking at homes in the Oakton area and most of them have septic sewage and either public or well water. The newer homes have a septic/public water combo while the older ones, built around 1940s near Waples Mill, have septic/well water. I've been googling around and it seems there are some folks that love and some that hate life with wells, but nothing specific to the Fairfax area. Anyone have thoughts or opinons on whether I should stick to what I know or go ahead and exclude properties with septics and wells?

TIA
Keep your life simple. Stick to public services.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,165 times
If you have a well water system can you flush tampons etc down your toilet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia