Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2011, 06:03 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,693,762 times

Advertisements

The only thing that comes to mind when I think of NOVA going downhill is the massive sprawl that has almost engulfed the entire region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 03:39 PM

13 posts, read 27,004 times
nova is perfect. all the stats say so!!!!! i couldnt wait to get out of there. the people develop attitudes, for what ever reason. They really think a lot of themselves and turn into .......the traffic is really, really bad......again, all the stats, all the jobs, all the things to do...great , great place!!! I dont ever want to live there again.

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-02-2012 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: language

Old 03-07-2012, 08:38 AM

771 posts, read 1,458,822 times
I've been living here 5 years, so my perspective is certainly limited compared to others. But here are some random thoughts:

-I like it here, a lot. I arrived just before the recession when a lot of places in America started going downhill. While Northern Virginia was also affected, I feel it was a lot less dramatic. Maybe I was lucky, but I think this influences my perspective a lot, and it makes me feel lucky to have been here during those difficult times.

-Lots of construction going on, especially along Route 7, which I use to commute to work everyday. So, for me personally, traffic has gotten worse and it makes Tysons Corner look ugly. But I feel this is the short term price of a long term project that will benefit us all. Plus I'm happy to see construction workers are able to remain employed, when so many around the country are unemployed.

-Sprawl: Yes, I suppose its accelerating, and all the construction going on is a strong signal of that. I have friends moving further into Western Loudoun county, and pushing the commute boundaries every year a little further away. I never got to see the more rural side of Fairfax or Eastern Loudoun counties, so that limits my perspective, because for me NoVA has always been very suburban. I really hope I get to be an old man and see how Tysons Corner looks like in 50 years. On the bright side, growth brings jobs and economic activity.

-Merrifield has changed a lot in 5 years. A lot of the places I used to frequent have been teared down (Bank of America, 7-eleven, the movie theater, Dad's Backyard Burgers, etc).

-I have never felt unsafe here, and that is something I love about the area. I don't think it has gotten better or worse. I frequent some of the areas which some people seem to consider unsafe, such as Baileys Crossroads and Sterling Park. I think they aren't pretty areas, but I have never felt unsafe there.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:29 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
While I love Nova, I lament the decreasing southern feel of the area. When I moved here a decade ago, it had a much stronger southern culture and feel. It seems that Southern culture has declined in the area in the last several years at a rapid pace.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
While I love Nova, I lament the decreasing southern feel of the area. When I moved here a decade ago, it had a much stronger southern culture and feel. It seems that Southern culture has declined in the area in the last several years at a rapid pace.
Really? I moved to NoVA over 11 years ago and it didn't feel at all southern to me. What kinds of thing were southern 10 years ago that are not here now?

Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 AM

1,295 posts, read 2,508,755 times
I moved here in '79 and culturally it has changed quite a bit. Native NoVa doesn't really have a Southern accent. It has a 'tidewater' accent (think Pat Robertson or Patrick Buchannan). Most of the people I hung with when I first moved here were born here, but their parents or grandparents came here to work for the government. I moved here pretty much after the 'old South' vibe held sway, but there were still quite a few old-school Virginians around, and they certainly ran the local politics back then. People seemed friendlier back then, and there was a slower pace, but there was also some residual casual racism and xenophobia (but it was not nearly as bad as the Midwest I left). I've watched the region turn into an international community over the years, and that's a positive development. Children of immigrants here seem to assimilate in one generation-----a remarkable feat, considering that the conventional wisdom 100 years ago held that it took 3 generations for immigrant families to achieve complete assimilation. Aside from the increased traffic, I really dislike the fact that NoVa is becoming super-wealthy (I'll be honest----I just don't like their attitude/sense of entitlement). Also, the cost of living here may eventually force me to retire elsewhere.

Last edited by smithy77; 03-08-2012 at 01:34 AM..

Old 03-08-2012, 09:37 AM

113 posts, read 132,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I thought the South officially started in Richmond. ;-)

Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Interesting thread. Also one of the oldest ongoing threads I've ever encountered here. It seems to have evolved just like Northern Virginia. Wow the racism was so thick on the first page you could cut it with a knife. Then it evolved into the usual complaint about traffic and the high cost of living.

I've lived here for almost 4 years. I pat myself on the back for having survived thus far. The people are rude, the cost of living is beyond insane and the traffic is emotionally, physically, and financially draining at best. However, I feel like I've hit the jackpot. I'm having so much fun living up here. My greatest fear has been getting kicked off "the island" and sent back to Georgia with my tail between my legs.

I've heard many an old timer lament for the simpler days. I, however, don't want to go back. Times change. Sure there were good things about the old days but we always seem to forget the negative. I say let's look forward not backward. Remember the good times but also work on creating new good memories.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Also one of the oldest ongoing threads I've ever encountered here. It seems to have evolved just like Northern Virginia.
LOL yes this thread is so old that soon the "20 years" in the title will apply to when the thread was started. This is one of those threads that gets revived for school holidays and spring break. I was surprised to see it resurrected so early this year but I guess that's just another sign that spring is early.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 AM

2,986 posts, read 4,575,132 times
while this thread is very old, i couldn't agree more with it. time to leave!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia